Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2002, 12:40 AM   #1
Durwyn
Elminster

Anyone know about this game? http://www.etherlords.com

It looks pretty good. If anyone has it, would a D&D fan like it? It seems pretty interesting but is it anything or in any relation with BG or something? hehe, any feedback would be apriciated .
Old 01-12-2002, 05:35 AM   #2
J'aran
Mephistopheles

No, there isn't any relation with BG or other Infinity Engine-games. It's not D&D, but it's fantasy, so any D&D-fan might like it.

I haven't played it, but I've read a few reviews of it and those all said that while the game looks indeed gorgeous, with great graphics and stuff, the gameplay isn't that good and the game becomes boring after a mere few hours. Now as I've said, I can't speak from experience, but I haven't seen a single good review of it. Is there a demo for download? You might want to try that before you decide to buy.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:18 AM   #3
fable
Quintesson

I think I posted about Etherlords somewhere else in this category. In any case, it's a kind of combination Heroes of Might & Magic/Magic: The Gathering (in its computerized, Microprose version).

There are nine scenarios of increasing complexity and difficulty for each of two sides, with each side representing two allies. (That way, when you play one side, you actually play with two greatly different decks of cards, according to the scenario.)

The graphics are extremely attractive, being fully animated, and in 3D. The object can vary from scenario to scenario, but it's generally a matter (as in HOMM) of gathering resources and visiting "stores," which involves fighting stationary beasts, or mobile enemies.

Run over a beast or enemy, and your hero moves to a combat screen. There, you and the foe cast spells on a turn-by-turn basis using decks of cards, with a random draw determining which five cards in your deck are coming to the top at any time. There are many types of spells; mostly summoning ones, but also curses, blesses, attacks, etc. One great simplification from the M:TG game is that each player's turn consists of playing cards; there are no specific rules for when you can play sorceries, instants, lands, etc.

The variety of animations for any given monster type or spell is a delight, and the enemy plays quite well. You can also go into multiplayer mode, and play duels with decks you build against dozens of opponents who have their own decks. Damn good game. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2002, 11:21 AM   #4
Durwyn
Elminster

So I thought, Thank you again fable for enlighting me hehe you're very honorable sir [img]smile.gif[/img] I think I'll get the demo and probably game. As its created by the Russians who made Allods and Evil Islands, as a native Russian myself I'm quite interested in the product . Thanks for the input.