Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2002, 05:13 PM   #1
Impskul
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just bought the game yesterday for a relitivly cheep price
I get home and I install it, full and minimal to start the game out and have it go and just show a black screen....it won't go anywhere and when I load a screen like options or load it stays and won't go away. I don't have a patch or anything is this common and a patch will fix it or am I just screwed??
Impskul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 05:21 PM   #2
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Welcome to the board Impskul,
Just a few questiones:
1. What OS? If 2K, or XP you need to do some searching for the "Must Dos".
2. System age, does the system meet the min requirement?
3. Graphics, is your graphics engine AGP slot filled, PCI, or onboard?
_If ATI Radeon you can still play, but very difficult without the ATI patch.
4. The game patch is mainly code to fix coded bugs, and me tinks not a run problem. -The ATI patch allows better control of the cursor, a must have.

Felix The Retired Assassin

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 05:30 PM   #3
Impskul
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanks for the welcome.

I have win 98, latest version before Windows 2000, more than enough hard disc space, 96 ram(a little low for games I know) but is suppose to meet and beat the system requirments, a voodoo3 16mb graphic card PCI or onboard...it orginally came with a onboard 4mb video card(the PC) but I upgraded it to that....as to what type....*sigh* I will have to look for it alludes me at the moment...that and it not in front of me...heh

has anyone else had this prob before?

make a new game and get a blank screen?
Old 08-26-2002, 05:47 PM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Ok,
There is a tech post on this forum.

Sounds like ye may have a graphics signal problemo.
Check:
Display Properties, Settings,
you should drop down to 640 x 480 for your card, and me tinks that is the game base setting.
Ensure your Refresh is at a moderate rate, somewhere @ 75 for a CRT monitor.
Me tinks the Vodoo cannot run 32 bit color, so also ensure you are set at 16 bit color, or lower if you experience more problems later.
Ensure your onboard card is still inactive.
And,
Once you can open the options window, lower all of the game controls so yan can play the game without "lag". I attempted to install on an elderly laptop, and found meself dead from one jerky screen update to the next.

I had a Vodoo when it was king, and me tinks it was a 4, mit 16mb, and it ran this game ok with an K6II 550, set to low, and a little bit more RAM.

Good Luck
Felix The Retired Assassin

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 05:55 PM   #5
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

Welcome to the Board, Impskul!!!

This is not a new problem....As Felix mentioned, there is a tech thread and the answer might be there...Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page (in the following link)...and then back up 4 posts.....Let us know if this works... click this

[ 08-26-2002, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Packrat ]
Old 08-26-2002, 06:07 PM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Impskul!!!

I hope that one of the suggested solutions will solve your problem. Hope you will be playing soon! It's a fun game!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 06:14 PM   #7
Impskul
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hmmmm okay I will have to try this out later tonight when I can. 640X480...wow...didn't relize I would have to try that small...ohwell what works right? thanks for the tips, hopefully this works.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:47 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the boards, Impskul. May your journeys through the Gael Serran fill your heart with fire and your blood with ice.

You've already got a list of things to try, and as you can see, there's lots of help available here.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 11:36 AM   #9
Impskul
Elite Waterdeep Guard

well so far I tried the different settings to no avail, so now it is a hunt for the missing ddls and exes files which will take me a few days to a week to get....egad... thanks for all the warm welcome, and hopefully soon I will be able to enjoy the game as well. Thank you for the tips to. I will post when I am up and running one way or another.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:51 AM   #10
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

Welcome Impskul,
I played most of my game with a weaker pc than yours with only a choppiness problem. I now have 192meg of ram which has got rid of the choppiness. I still use the onboard graphics which are only 4.5meg. Read your readme file that came with the game, it has a solution to the black screen problem, maybe it will work on yours.
They have a saying around here;
They
WILL
track
you
down.
Have fun.