Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2003, 05:00 PM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

Sweet! I wish I had the bucks for this....

PALO ALTO, California (Reuters) -- First came a decommissioned missile silo, then an abandoned logging town, and Monday a Caribbean island became the latest mega-property to list on Internet auction site eBay.

At the minimum bid of $3 million, a sale of the whole island would be the largest ever real-estate deal on eBay, a spokesman for the popular online marketplace said. Those with dreams of owning their own tropical getaway will need to have deep pockets to make a play for undeveloped, Thatch Cay, a 230-acre island in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Going once...
Bidding for each of three island parcels starts at $1 million and will end Jan. 16, according to the auction terms.

Last year, eBay hosted the $2.1 million sale of a former Atlas F missile silo in upstate New York and the $1.78 million auction of the tumble-down Northern California town of Bridgeville.

To date the biggest sale on eBay -- in terms of dollars -- came from a $4.9 million bid for a used Gulfstream jet.

Thatch Cay's estimated value is $22 million to $25 million, according to the seller.

The property, in the chain of mountainous, beach-fringed U.S. Virgin Islands, has caves under its north shore that allow divers to swim from the Atlantic Ocean to the Caribbean Sea, seller Scott McIntyre said.

'Highly motivated seller'
McIntyre, a real estate developer and investor from San Diego, said he is open to selling all or part of Thatch Cay and described himself as a "highly motivated seller."

McIntyre said if the entire island is not sold, he plans to use proceeds from parcel sales to fund the development of a private retreat or residential estates.

The U.S. Virgin Islands is a U.S. territory and the clear, turquoise waters of the 50 some islands and cays are a popular destination for cruise ships, sailors and scuba divers.

Casting a wide net
Bill Hoyle, who is handling the auction marketing of Thatch Cay, said moving such sales to the Web makes it easier to cast a wide net for potential buyers.

With the advent of digital signatures, he added, the auction process can be faster and more convenient.

"The world has become a much smaller place," said Hoyle, whose company has sold over 2,000 properties at auction and this summer plans to launch its own online auction site.

Source
Old 01-07-2003, 06:53 PM   #2
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Hey lets pool are money together and buy it. Problem is I am on the Canadian dollar I may need to come up with a extra million or two.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:18 PM   #3
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

thats my dream, to one day own my own tropical island country. I would call it bananaville
Old 01-07-2003, 08:43 PM   #4
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I've still got Dibs on a mountainside in Cuba the second the gate opens up [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 12:53 AM   #5
Slizerio

Well me I want to buy a...; um... errr... time machine. The minimum bid is 1 million? ahhh.... Ive got $120 to blow... awww