Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2002, 03:15 PM   #21
DeSoya
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
SomeGuy, how old are you? That does make a difference in testing intelligence. Also, your areas of academic interest can sometimes skew results; for example, I have a degree in Math, so any math-based question is a correct answer for me.
Never worry or concern yourself with scores. Just always do your best.
A degree in math eh!! It's what I'm persuing right now. Was doing some reading the other day. The author was talking about the idea of pattern recognition which is what most iq tests are based upon. You might find this interesting Azred. I'll just use an example from this book (I'd say what it was but that would give things away. [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

I ask you all what is the next number in these series:

and

mind you that my notation is very sloppy. As it would be in most IQ tests (or at least those that I have seen).

DeSoya
Old 08-01-2002, 03:27 PM   #22
Jim
Quintesson

133 here.

I'm a visual mathematician somehow, and aparently:

"60% of Visual Mathematicians wait for the other person to make the first move on a date."

How the bloody hell did they work out this statistic?
Old 08-01-2002, 03:59 PM   #23
SecretMaster
Apophis

First off, i think Online IQ tests are bull, so fake. Secondly, it said i was too young, under 13, then i tried a fake age, still said i was to young.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:25 PM   #24
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Hmm it said im a visionary philosopher :S

I got 136, i think its fine for me (english questions surely took my score down ). Anyway i dont think this test really measures anybody´s intelligence, yet is fun [img]smile.gif[/img]

BTW what was the correct answer for "he likes 400 but not 300, 100 but not 99 and 2500 but not 2400". i dont get it :$
Old 08-01-2002, 06:38 PM   #25
whacky
Emerald Dragon

The idiot likes perfect squares Ertai even though i havent done that test
Old 08-01-2002, 06:50 PM   #26
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

LOL now it seems so obvious... damn i feel so ashamed i didnt get it, ive always considered myself good with numbers
Old 08-01-2002, 10:26 PM   #27
Oblivion437
Baaz Draconian

Congratulations, Oblivion!
Your IQ score is 131

This number is the result of a formula based on how many questions you answered correctly on Emode's Ultimate IQ test.

The even better news is that at Emode, we've taken your IQ test one step further. During the test, you answered four different types of questions — mathematical, visual-spatial, linguistic and logical. We were able to analyze how you did on each set of those questions, which allows us to shed light on the way your brain uniquely functions.

At the same time, we compared your answers with others who have taken the test, and according to the sorts of questions you got correct, we can tell your Intellectual Type is a Visual Mathematician.

The first thing we can tell you about that is you have a strong ability to process visual-spatial and mathematical information. But that's just scratching the surface.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:30 AM   #28
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
I have a degree in Math, so any math-based question is a correct answer for me.
Quote:
Originally posted by DeSoya:
A degree in math eh!! It's what I'm persuing right now. Was doing some reading the other day. The author was talking about the idea of pattern recognition which is what most iq tests are based upon.
Yes, pattern recognition is one standard of intelligence, no matter what skills are being assessed; spatial relationships is another and deductive reasoning is a third. The deductive reasoning aspect is the one which continues to elude those pursing computer-based "artificial" intelligence.
So you are pursuing a degree in math, eh? [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img] I don't know if you have already done so and I don't know if you will, but I (and probably many others) reached a point (not surprisingly, about the time it comes to attempt to settle on a career) where I thought, "My God, what can I possibly do with a math degree?! Teach? Statistical Analysis? Cryptology? Actuary?" It seemed like a really short list until I realized that a math degree teaches you how to solve problems; not just when two trains meet or how to find the solution set for a group of related differential equations, but any type of problem. This is why math problems are so prevalent in many tests of intelligence.
Let me know how things go for you, DeSoya. [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img]

SecretMaster, yes, online IQ tests are completely unscientific and are, at best, a vague glimpse at a measure of your true ability. The well-established "IQ Societies" such as Mensa, Intertel, IQuadrivium, etc. accept, as a prerequisite for admisison, scores from tests such as California Test of Mental Maturity, Stanford-Binet, Army/Navy Classification Tests, Miller Analogies, the GRE, and either the Wechsler Adult or Wechsler Children (a psychiatrist I once knew--not as a patient [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img] --told me that Wechsler is still considered by many to be the standard). If you are really interested in a reasonably good assessment of your mental acuity, then take one of these tests; a brief internet search for these tests or testing centers in your area should produce acceptable results.

Now for the caveat: IQ alone is meaningless; it is by no means a measure of personal worth. I have known many "smart" people who are ill-mannered, bad-tempered, sloppy, lazy, or some combination of those less-than-desirable traits.

Jim, a Visual Mathematician probably wrote this test after another failed date when he waited on her to make the first move.... [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 08-03-2002, 03:16 AM   #29
DeSoya
Manshoon

Quote:
quote:
I have a degree in Math, so any math-based question is a correct answer for me.
Quote:
Originally posted by DeSoya:
A degree in math eh!! It's what I'm persuing right now. Was doing some reading the other day. The author was talking about the idea of pattern recognition which is what most iq tests are based upon.
Yes, pattern recognition is one standard of intelligence, no matter what skills are being assessed; spatial relationships is another and deductive reasoning is a third. The deductive reasoning aspect is the one which continues to elude those pursing computer-based "artificial" intelligence.
So you are pursuing a degree in math, eh? [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img] I don't know if you have already done so and I don't know if you will, but I (and probably many others) reached a point (not surprisingly, about the time it comes to attempt to settle on a career) where I thought, "My God, what can I possibly do with a math degree?! Teach? Statistical Analysis? Cryptology? Actuary?" It seemed like a really short list until I realized that a math degree teaches you how to solve problems; not just when two trains meet or how to find the solution set for a group of related differential equations, but any type of problem. This is why math problems are so prevalent in many tests of intelligence.
Let me know how things go for you, DeSoya. [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Sorry about not responding sooner. Web access has been spotty and my friends keep dragging me out to go drinking. Damn them. Can't they see I'd rather be at home painting miniatures?

I'm not particularly worried about what I do with a math degree. I just want a degree and math seemed to be the thing. Initially I wanted to be a physicist. I looooove physics. So damn cool. Unfortunatly I have/had trouble connecting the math concepts with the physics math. Weird. Don't ask. I don't understand it myself. A math proof, however, is something I can understand. I figured if worse comes to worst I can always go back to grad school to get a physics degree. It's mostly math anyway when you get to quantum... Sadly it's the physics that sent me to the math. [img]smile.gif[/img] I took so much math to do the physics that I started enjoying it. Calculus is my favorite. I often postulate, much to the derision of my friends, that calculus is quite possibly the greatest thing that man has ever done for itself. [img]smile.gif[/img]

What do you think of the theory of multiple intelligences? I find it to be pretty intriguing. I think that there are multiple memories as well. I didn't think about that until you mentioned the spatial reasoning bit. I'm not sure where that fit into that emode IQ test. Care to explain?

DeSoya

P.S. I'm working on learning some Abstract Algebra right now in preparation for this semesters course in it. I'm also taking Intro to Topology. In essence, I'm not very far along.

[ 08-03-2002, 03:17 AM: Message edited by: DeSoya ]
Old 08-03-2002, 08:10 AM   #30
LennonCook
Jack Burton

IQ 120, i`m a Precision Processor [img]smile.gif[/img]