Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2002, 11:32 AM   #1
Kaltia
Jack Burton

I played the game through with a female fighter/ranger (I wanted to be really good at dual weilding and it seemed to work), but now I've created a pure ranger. I wanted to know what animal companian I should have. i've got Tomi for traps and unlocking, using a shortbow, but what animal companian shoul;d I have?

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 02:11 PM   #2
Obsidian the Black
Elminster

Get the panther i say. I made a pure Ranger, named him Drizzt Do'Urden, the drow. Choose the Panther, and name him Guenhwyvar, hehe. No but 2 get back to your question. Get the panther, it is much more deadly than the others.
Obsidian the Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 02:14 PM   #3
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Obsidian the Black:
Get the panther i say. I made a pure Ranger, named him Drizzt Do'Urden, the drow. Choose the Panther, and name him Guenhwyvar, hehe. No but 2 get back to your question. Get the panther, it is much more deadly than the others.
With my first char, a fighter/ranger, I had a familiar called Guenhwyvar, actually, and yes, it was a panther, lol.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 07-31-2002, 04:19 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

I dont know if bear is an option for rangers, but my druid has gone with the bear and its nice! Gets the knockdown and power attack feats plus tons of hp at higher levels.
Old 07-31-2002, 05:42 PM   #5
Kerneth
The Magister

Bear is an option for rangers.

Personally, I want a Dire Wolf for my ranger, unless there's a compelling reason not to use them.
Kerneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 06:58 PM   #6
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

and beer is an option for dwarves!!!! more beer...
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:06 PM   #7
AndyG
Elminster

Just out of curiosity, what's the point of the other animal companions? Take the bear for brute attacking power, the panther for sneak attacks, what's the point of the others? What makes the badger, the boar or some of the smaller animals worth taking? I understand the purpose of a bird in a PnP game, but they aren't implemented as scouts in NWN, just as combat creatures.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 10:53 PM   #8
Deathcow
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyG:
Just out of curiosity, what's the point of the other animal companions? Take the bear for brute attacking power, the panther for sneak attacks, what's the point of the others? What makes the badger, the boar or some of the smaller animals worth taking? I understand the purpose of a bird in a PnP game, but they aren't implemented as scouts in NWN, just as combat creatures.
Roleplaying, I guess. Badgers get style points too, who uses a badger? You'd be unique.
Deathcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 02:56 AM   #9
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Try the Dire Wolf... they are oddly powerful.... they are fast and have quite a lot of HP... but the panther is quite good also... as it has those great sneak attacks... but IMO the Panther doesnt get enough HP in the end... Thats why I like the Bear and Dire Wolf for Animal companions... for Familiars I almost always go Panther [img]smile.gif[/img]
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 08:23 AM   #10
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoltan:
and beer is an option for dwarves!!!! more beer...
*Fills his keg o' ale*
No, seriously, most of the companians are poor.