Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2001, 09:29 PM   #11
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Sigh. Since Terry Pratchett I can only think Carpe Jugulum.

But Charean's story is so true. I was never one to seize the moment - always hesitant, even though I longed to do things. As a consequence I have done nothing that yearned passionately to do when I was young. Now, however, I do exactly as I like. I cannot afford to do the travelling I yearned for - but I have lost the yearning () so it doesn't matter - does it? I enjoy my life in a quiet way, and I don't envy people who are doing the things I wanted to do - but that's sad, too, isn't it? Not to have done things and not care any more?

Seize the moment while you care, folks! If you put it off, maybe you'll finish up like me!

------------------

Old 06-12-2001, 10:44 PM   #12
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

I have had a philosophy that can be best summed up by a verse from one of my songs

"Sometimes you catch a moment like a diamond in the sun
Hold it in the palm of your hand
Never let it go for you don't know the time and tide
When the piper calls the tune and you'll be gone"

If anyone wants to see the rest of the lyrics, this is the link.
http://www.drhope.fsnet.co.uk/The%20piper.htm

I wrote this song for my sister who was killed in a crash by a drunk driver. She had just fulfilled a lifetime dream and spent a year travelling overland to Londond and working there. When she came back Dad gave her a hard time about having no money, and no security. After she died our whole family changed our attitude - dont keep putting things off till the right time. The right time may never come.

Loads of things have happened to me since that have underlined this , mainly health hassles. The good news is that I have gone out and taken what I wanted out of life. When I was a little girl I had a list of "dreams" that I shared with my sister - to see europe, to dive on a coral reef, to see golden pagodas, to water ski, to snow ski, to sing in public, to fall in love, to see a real castle. I am pleased to say I have ticked them all off, and am well down my list of adult dreams.

No matter how bad life gets - there are ALWAYS some goodies left for you. Take them! Don't be robbed of what joy you can find, and embrace the pain and sorrow as well. It all goes to make you who you are.

------------------
There is only one kiwidoc, accept no substitutes

STANDARD OPERATING PROCEEDURE
www.judyhope.co.uk
Old 06-12-2001, 11:16 PM   #13
DawnChaser
Zhentarim Guard

Thank you, Charean, for this thread. I feel closer to all of you who have related adversities in your life that have, indeed changed the way you look at life for the better. What good is a headlong rush through life if, when all is done, no one really got to know you or spend time with you because of your rush.

I try to treat everyone I encounter with the same respect that I would want them to afford me. Because of this, I make friends easily and get along with most.

I have enjoyed meeting and conversing with each of you on this board. In fact, since joining, I have not played any sessions of Icewind Dale, preferring to spend my time perusing the threads and posting to those that I think I can add something to, be it information, or humor.

(edit) FWIW: Carpe Diem - Sieze the day... Carpe horum - Sieze the moment

"Wait, I think I feel a tear... Nope, I got a lash in my eye!"

------------------

[This message has been edited by DawnChaser (edited 06-12-2001).]
Old 06-13-2001, 01:15 PM   #14
Charean
Hathor

Kiwidoc - Yes, that is what I do as well... trying to see the people who mean the most to me on a quasi-regular basis and let them know how I feel. Now I have my Dad's spirit with me... and have learned to follow my heart. Logic may get you far in the workplace, but it is inadequate in life.

My dreams consist mainly of dealing well with those in my life. I live the Golden Rule, and try to treat others much better than I would expect to be treated. Why? Because I think we are all part of the whole. Being kind and compassionate to others is the same as doing so to myself. For the Buddhist teaches Love and Kindness always. A lot like Jesus. Funny how the basics are the same in every philosophy.

What you send out, you will get back... life is a circle....

And DawnChaser... I am glad that you are not only enjoying this thread, but the wonderful and exceptional people on this board... for they are an amazing group. I am more than proud to call them friends.

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
Wandering Soul - Finding my life's calling is Bodhisattva
Looking for lost brain - I left it only for a moment....and there it goes... rolling under the table!!
Renunciate in Training
Trucker Punkin Fluffy
Old 06-13-2001, 04:24 PM   #15
Epona
Zartan

It's not always possible to do everything that you want to do - but as long as you give it a damn good go you will live a better life than if you had never tried, and you will do more of it than if you had never bothered.
"If you try, you may fail, but if you never try, failure is guaranteed" (or something like that, I'm sure there is a more snappy version that means the same).

I find that I am rarely, if ever, bored. Even if I am apparently doing nothing, my head is full of ideas, thoughts and music. This is how I use time that would otherwise be wasted, waiting for the bus or stuck in traffic. I don't waste time doing things that I don't enjoy - I could get run down in the street tomorrow.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas