Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2003, 05:19 PM   #1
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I am thinking about getting cable on my desktop computer and would like to network wirelessly with my lap top. I have talked to Dell, and my laptop has a wireless card and they told me I just need to buy a wireless router.

I looked at Tiger Direct on-line (I've bought some stuff from them before) and they have them anywhere from $30 to over a $100.

So what is the difference? Can I do just as well with a cheap one as an expensive one? Is there anything in particular in terms of specifications I need to look for?

I am not very techy but Dell said they are just "plug and play" type things.

Any advice would be appreciated. I really want to do this, but I need "simple and inexpensive."

Thanks!
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 08-02-2003, 05:37 PM   #2
Jorath Calar
Harper

Hmm, not sure whats the diffrence, maybe the more expensive can connect more computers together... no idea actually... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2003, 03:25 AM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

If Dell told you that...I'm curious what the heck they are talking about!

We just installed a wireless network (router) and it was NOT 'plug and play' even though a few people we talked with seemed to give the impression it would be! See Nacht's rant on another board for details on what didn't go as expected!

Still, if your card is already installed, maybe Dell can recommend a brand of router. We got the LynkSys because it was well recommended and fit our needs. You may not need quite as much in a router if you are only connecting one more pc (or laptop) to your broadband. (You have cable or adsl, right?)

There are differences in speed/compatibility with older models. In the end it comes down to what your needs are (speed, numbers of machines in the network, how far away the wireless machine can be from the hub/router) and how much you want to spend. I think our router was in the $120 range. We had to buy cards too, so it was pricey. But if you have your card already, that's a plus! One thing we were told by computer whiz pals is that it's usually less hassle to buy router and cards from same manufacturer, ie: same brand. Not sure why, other than the obvious notion that they'd be configured to work well together.

Good luck with your networking!
Old 08-03-2003, 02:57 PM   #4
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Thanks, I'll read that. I should have known that anything that sounded easy wouldn't be.
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 08-03-2003, 03:25 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL, I know! I just love it when a tech says 'oh it so easy, just plug and play!' and then it takes a half hour call, running up and down to machines, changing this/that and other things and hoping it will work right!

Nacht calls it "plug and pray"

He's going to add to that thread- telling what needed to be changed/fixed to make it work, but I don't think he's got that far yet.

Again, good luck with yours! You never know, yours might just be the one that IS that simple!

[ 08-03-2003, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]