Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2002, 06:19 AM   #11
andrewas
Harper

Copy disc 1 onto your harddrive and install from there. That file is *huge* though, so emailing a copy across is probably not practical.
Old 11-09-2002, 02:57 AM   #12
Sig Segorn
Dungeon Master

This was the first time something wouldn't install. I don't really have a problem with ME. It could also be said that BG shouldn't have been released with all the bugs in it. I had to have a Dell tech rep talk me through the reformatting of my hard drive once (due to Windows corruption), and I remember it as though I were being talked through the procedure to get planet Earth to self-destruct, if there were such a vast and secret mechanism in place. We're talking about 15 solid minutes or so of code-inputting, not one of which the average computer user could ever know or guess or even remember. I do wish I had thought to try the "copy Disc 1 to hard drive and install from there" idea before pitching the game and ordering the Original Saga version, but c'est la vie. I feel confident that I won't have a problem with THAT version. Just have to wait patiently for it to get here.
Sig Segorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 07:30 AM   #13
Grungi
Banned User

ME really is wank, im in computer support and machines with the worst problems are invariably using ME, before xp and 2000 win98 2nd ed was the most stable platform and best for playing games and i still happily use win98 now, though xp is great too
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 05:50 AM   #14
Sig Segorn
Dungeon Master

Yeah, I had 98 SE on my first tower, but, when I got my new one, I had to get it with ME on it. I actually like both of these operating systems pretty much, but, if I get to make an OS change again, XP sounds good. I like that feature that lets you run a game with an earlier version of Windows, if needed, since some of the games I'm drawn to aren't the newest ones.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:01 AM   #15
Grungi
Banned User

the thing about ME is that for some people it runs perfectly without any problems the whole time they have it so they think its perfect, unfortunately for anyone that uses non standard hardware and software (normally gamers) its a pile of tripe, plus it has all sorts of software conflict problems itself
Old 11-12-2002, 06:40 PM   #16
Sig Segorn
Dungeon Master

Some of this is news to me, but I didn't say ME is perfect. I do, for example, have the occasional lock-up when playing my favorite game, "Lands of Lore III," but that's an older game. There are some good features in ME that my 98 SE didn't have, like System Restore, which has saved my ass a couple of times. Gaming is one of the main things I do with my 'puter, but maybe I'd have more problems if I used a joystick or voice-recognition software, or was into online, multiplayer gaming. I wonder if some of those people having problems didn't mess something up themselves, by tinkering with their Registry Editor or some such thing, and neglect to mention that when they're on the phone with tech support. I delved too deeply with my first tower and am careful not to with THIS one. Whatever. It's a big deal changing one's operating software, so I'm gonna stick with ME for the time being, but I appreciate the chat.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:05 AM   #17
Caramon Majeure
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm not sure how it's that big of a deal, as long as you have all your driver disks and windows CD, then you only need to know two DOS commands:
FDISK, FORMAT C:
then it's just throw the CD in, boot from CD and install away. But I do understand that some find it difficult, it's them who keep me in business fixing their computers
Caramon Majeure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 06:11 AM   #18
Sig Segorn
Dungeon Master

Well, let's see . . . if I wanted to change my OS to XP, I would first have to buy this, for a hundred bucks or so. Then, I would have to copy stuff from my hard disk onto Zip disks. Then, I would have to have a Dell tech rep talk me through the reformatting procedure. Then, I would have to load XP onto my blanked-out hard disk, then reload the stuff on the Zip disks back onto it, then get everything back up and running and tweaked right, then get used to whatever is new and different about it. I don't know what you're talking about with those "two" DOS prompts. I went through this once (see my earlier post above), and there were more like 50 of these, not two. In fact, there are so many that, before getting into it, the female tech rep said "I don't need you to repeat them back to me as you're inputting them." I guess that, if you do this for a living, hearing these prompts too many times can drive you nuts.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:59 AM   #19
Grungi
Banned User

hrm most of the time you dont go near dos, i only use it to format partition and set machines up, not for troubleshooting normally, i like dos cos it doesnt crash, only crashes if the processor has problems, other good thing about dos is most people have no clue about it so they have to respect what i say, but when it comes to windows everyone thinks they know more than me (customers i mean) and it gets tiresome explaining to them that where they got their info was bollocks [img]tongue.gif[/img]

btw to set xp up you shouldnt have to go near dos prompt as xp does partitioning and formatting for you, unless u effed up drive in first place, xp juststick the cd in and run, pretty straight forward and makes people like me defunct
Old 11-13-2002, 09:06 AM   #20
andrewas
Harper

Sig, Ive never used more than half-a-dozen DOS commands when re-isntalling an OS. I guess dell techs are putting in safety measures and suchlike crap. As long as you ahve a boot floppy to hand and a non-scratched OS install CD, the format command can take care of the rest.

FDISK is for martitioning, no real need for that these days.