Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2002, 06:07 AM   #1
Joe Black
Welcomed New User

How do i kill the Mind Flayers in the underdark... the magic is to strong they just parylise my men and kill them, how do i kill them..??

A danish guy......
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 06:44 AM   #2
Jon Irenicus
Elminster

Welcome to the IW, anyway tips on killing the Mind Flayers, have u tried using run and hit tactics with ranged weapons? That usually works, or just try and lure them one by one and swarm them with ur fighters to death.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:51 AM   #3
TaSSaDaR
Baaz Draconian

SPOILER
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~

Explore the dungeon, you'll eventually find a room with two of them - an easy prey with high throws There will be some crates/tanks around the walls. From each one you 'll get a potion of mind shielding - guess its function! So just give them all to your best fighter and sweep clean the whole layer. Later you will encounter the older brain. Try to kill it QUICKLY My way was to lWish myself to turn into an Iron Golem...
Old 09-05-2002, 07:33 AM   #4
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Here's another tip: cast chaotic commands(lvl 5 cleric) on your tanks. This will protect you from there stunning and domination. Then send your tanks in and hack them to pieces.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:47 AM   #5
TaSSaDaR
Baaz Draconian

The only one, but a very big trouble I experienced while hunting Mind Flayers is their 'brain-suck' attack, or INT drain. They kill you in two hits, so:
  1. Use only one fighter, having best AC, equipment and fighting skills in your party.
  2. Concentrate your attacks on one beast, so you get rid of them quickly. REMEMBER! Even a 'near death'-state injured illthid can kill you in one touch.
  3. Have a mage ready nearby or invis potion to quickly escape combat if things get nasty (INT drain, injures)
Old 09-05-2002, 07:56 AM   #6
Fiend
Manshoon

Welcome to Ironworks Joe Black! [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]
**SPOILERISH**
The best tactic I found to defeating the mind flayers is to summon up all the skeleton warriors u can, cast haste on ur entire party and improved invisibility on a tank other than ur main character. Send the tank around exploring with the skeleton warriors not far behind. When u find some mind flayers tell the skeleton warriors to attack them NOT the umberhulks. Once the mind flayers are dead ur entire party can focus on the umberhulks, only having to worry about confusion.

P.s; use skeleton warriors cos they have 95% magic resis and are immune to death magic.

Hope it helps!

[ 09-05-2002, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Fiend ]
Old 09-05-2002, 08:03 AM   #7
TaSSaDaR
Baaz Draconian

Hey, when I was in the Underdark with my party (now I am solo ) I couldn't still summon Skeleton Warriors. So I do not think Joe Black will be able either... Only in my second game I could gain enough XP to reach lvl 15 before the Underdark.

ADD]My main char, of course, reached lvl 15 before Inderdark, my mages and cleric did not...

[ 09-05-2002, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: TaSSaDaR ]
Old 09-05-2002, 08:07 AM   #8
Fiend
Manshoon

Thats why I take Viciona most of the time as she is a pure cleric. She levels up faster, gets spells faster, and those TOB abilities quicker.
ADD] oh and TaSSaDaR if u reply to this do u know where the staff of the magi is??

[ 09-05-2002, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: Fiend ]
Old 09-05-2002, 08:10 AM   #9
Fiend
Manshoon

I usually do all the quests I can before the underdark, as it makes things a lot quicker near the end(instead of running around listening to whiny nalia)
Old 09-05-2002, 08:14 AM   #10
TaSSaDaR
Baaz Draconian

Yeah to the remark about Nalia...

I only heard that the Staff Of Magi is in the same building in the Bridge district with the lich in the basement. But you'll need a rogue stone to enter. As an alternative, you can always find the staff in the shadowkeeper item list

I do not feel myself ready to do the fighting with that Twisted Rune (the ones who hold the building) so the info is unchecked. If you try that in a hour or two, please tell me, was the fight very difficult.