Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2001, 10:25 PM   #31
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Hell, I dunno. I don't think there ARE any easy answers. Maybe attacking IS the only thing to do - but we should have tried harder to get bin Laden by negotiation.
But whatever - we should NOT bomb! We should have sent in ground forces to get him and his followers, maybe, since there would be less liklihood of killing innocents.

And bombing Afghanistan is most likely going to turn practically all the Islamic world against us. Frankly, Ladyzekke, I'm scared. I don't want to live through another world war. I lived through one already. I'm scared for my children and grandchildren. I'm more scared than I have been in my life.

Well at least from what I have heard, they are bombing tonight to make way for ground troops in certain locations. Don't THINK they are gonna bomb constantly. Just taking out Taliban locations that might be a threat when ground troops land. They have said they are making way for ground troops to squirrel out those terrorist hiding out in caves, etc. Guess we will see how that goes.

And I know what you mean, even though I really am behind the U.S. against the terrorists, I just hate the way that we are going about it, and wonder, again, how successful we will be. But again, as I have said many times tonight, what else is there to do???? I too am afraid Fljotsdale. Heck, I live very close to Washington, D.C., prime target there for terrorist retaliation attacks... And I'm not very pleased at our news on TV. Heard too many times about how "it is coming", "we are going to get attacked again". And they make it sound so dire. Hell, if they (the news) are going to warn us, at least frikken bolster our spirits, say something like "America Unite and Be Strong", not "we are gonna get it" type speeches, that only lowers the moral of the American citizens. And we as many all over the world, as citizens, have no power in this, we only can sit by and wait and watch what happens. We at least should be patriotic, or comradic, and stand together for strength.

------------------
Old 10-07-2001, 10:30 PM   #32
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Larry - that is unspeakabe. I guess we are just diametrically opposite. Can you imagine Jesus doing that?

Diametrically opposite?
Jesus doing what killing rats?
I am afraid you misunderstood my thread.
I did not say that I hope we are doing such a thing...
I asked if anyone thinks we are trying to bring the Telaban out in the open by the bombs...and then send in our troops while they are weak.
The thing about the rat massacre was my way of explaining the procedure of "flushing out the enemy from hiding..."
Never did I say that I hoped we gased them...Please don't read that wrongly...

------------------

3rd Member of the Ancient OHF and Diamond Ranger of the ALSB (secretarial position & Ambassador)
Father of the wicked but cute child known as MaryBeth

Padre de una niña bien traviosa pero guapa
---------------------
Aisukuríimu ga tabetái desu.
Old 10-07-2001, 10:34 PM   #33
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Diametrically opposite?
Jesus doing what killing rats?
I am afraid you misunderstood my thread.
I did not say that I hope we are doing such a thing...
I asked if anyone thinks we are trying to bring the Telaban out in the open by the bombs...and then send in our troops while they are weak.
The thing about the rat massacre was my way of explaining the procedure of "flushing out the enemy from hiding..."
Never did I say that I hoped we gased them...Please don't read that wrongly...

[/B]
Nono! I understood what you were saying, Larry!
It's what you did to the rat that I find unspeakable! I almost vomited.

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 10-07-2001).]
Old 10-07-2001, 10:34 PM   #34
Killing Spree
Mephistopheles

You think Larry and the rats is bad?!

We had these squirells chewing holes in the roof and waking my mom up at all hours of the night. My dad set traps and drowned 11 squrells and 1 possum by the end of the summer. Oh, and then there are his home-made bug chemicals. MWAHAHAHA!

In short, Larry is not Jesus, my dad is not Jesus, hell you've all stepped on a bug before just as I have, it's no different if that's how you look at it.
Old 10-07-2001, 10:35 PM   #35
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

The reason we are bombing is not to try and kill mass numbers
of terrorists, although I'm sure we did. It is to disrupt their
defenses, cut of communication, and stick them deeper into the
dark caves they think they're safe in. When the Secretary of
Defense spoke this afternoon, a question was posed as to whether
or not we had ground troops in, he ducked and dodged. Of course
we do. This is one aspect of this "war" that (fortunately) CNN
won't give the enemy advance notice of. If our ground troops are
to have any success, they can achieve their objectives alot easier
with the bombardments that have happened and that will continue.
Old 10-07-2001, 10:36 PM   #36
KDogRex
Symbol of Cyric

Okay, I'm seething right now, not at anyone's attitudes, right or wrong, but at that fact that we are basically in agreement, but on differing planes.
At the risk of offending people here on the boards, which I've managed to to in the past and I'm sure I will again, but here's my take...

We were attacked shamefully, and callously with NO regard for the civilian casualties involved, indeed, hoping to MAXIMIZE the civilian casualties. These cowards were trying to kill as many of us as possible in a large and damaging statement. They wanted us to do exactly what we're doing here, to quibble amongt ourselves about the what's and the why's and the how's about the retaliation.

Let me tell ALL of you something. This is war. Whoever is trying to tell you otherwise is living in a world other than this. Had anyone thought about the fact that the people killed in the WTC attack equals almost 1/3 of the people killed in the entire Vietnam conflict and is almost 3 TIMES the number of people killed in the attack on Pearl Harbor?

Will innocent people be killed? YES. Is that wrong? MAYBE. Is it our place to judge that? NO. What should we do? Trust in our leaders to make the tough decisions, to minimize the deaths of innocent lives and kill (YES, I said KILL) the sum'biches that did this.

These cowards tried to bring us down, and by infighting like this, that's exactly what they will do. We are a people that have survived FAR worse, but not recently.

I have served my country proudly and with honor, and would do so again at any time. Anyone who has, understands exactly what I mean. If you haven't, then I strongly urge you to look about at the things that you hold dear and think about what our lives would be like without them. I love each and every one of you, and am not a violent person, but this is war and people will be hurt and killed in this. We are trying to help the innocents in this, people who have been oppressed and victimized by one oppressor or another for their entire lives. This is unrelated to the fact that the faceless killers did what they did. Oh, I'm so mad I'm not saying another word about this, but please, please, think about the almost six thousand people killed in the interest of some psychopath's vendetta before getting upset at an American's rage over it.

------------------
Guitars, women, beer...what more can a man ask for?
I AM the bard eternal
Old 10-07-2001, 10:39 PM   #37
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

I am confident that the strikes are being conducted in a surgical, highly efficient, and dealdy effective way. This action isn't being prosecuted under the same doctrine of maximum military stregth focused at the points of engagement that the Gulf War was. The air strikes initiated today are designed to take out the Taliban's ability to communicate. The air strikes are only part of the equation, a phase in a more comprehensive plan. There are also the Special Ops ground attacks. Anyway, above all this is NOT an attack against the people of Afghanistan. Great pains are actually being taken to encourage that the people there rise up against their oppressors there. And if you don't think the Taliban is horrendously oppressive to it's own people you are grossly uniformed and/or living in a sheer FANTASY world.
Old 10-07-2001, 10:41 PM   #38
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by KDogRex:
Okay, I'm seething right now, not at anyone's attitudes, right or wrong, but at that fact that we are basically in agreement, but on differing planes.
At the risk of offending people here on the boards, which I've managed to to in the past and I'm sure I will again, but here's my take...

We were attacked shamefully, and callously with NO regard for the civilian casualties involved, indeed, hoping to MAXIMIZE the civilian casualties. These cowards were trying to kill as many of us as possible in a large and damaging statement. They wanted us to do exactly what we're doing here, to quibble amongt ourselves about the what's and the why's and the how's about the retaliation.

Let me tell ALL of you something. This is war. Whoever is trying to tell you otherwise is living in a world other than this. Had anyone thought about the fact that the people killed in the WTC attack equals almost 1/3 of the people killed in the entire Vietnam conflict and is almost 3 TIMES the number of people killed in the attack on Pearl Harbor?

Will innocent people be killed? YES. Is that wrong? MAYBE. Is it our place to judge that? NO. What should we do? Trust in our leaders to make the tough decisions, to minimize the deaths of innocent lives and kill (YES, I said KILL) the sum'biches that did this.

These cowards tried to bring us down, and by infighting like this, that's exactly what they will do. We are a people that have survived FAR worse, but not recently.

I have served my country proudly and with honor, and would do so again at any time. Anyone who has, understands exactly what I mean. If you haven't, then I strongly urge you to look about at the things that you hold dear and think about what our lives would be like without them. I love each and every one of you, and am not a violent person, but this is war and people will be hurt and killed in this. We are trying to help the innocents in this, people who have been oppressed and victimized by one oppressor or another for their entire lives. This is unrelated to the fact that the faceless killers did what they did. Oh, I'm so mad I'm not saying another word about this, but please, please, think about the almost six thousand people killed in the interest of some psychopath's vendetta before getting upset at an American's rage over it.

Well said...
Old 10-07-2001, 10:44 PM   #39
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Killing Spree:
You think Larry and the rats is bad?!

We had these squirells chewing holes in the roof and waking my mom up at all hours of the night. My dad set traps and drowned 11 squrells and 1 possum by the end of the summer. Oh, and then there are his home-made bug chemicals. MWAHAHAHA!

In short, Larry is not Jesus, my dad is not Jesus, hell you've all stepped on a bug before just as I have, it's no different if that's how you look at it.
I don't step on bugs. And if you had been a kid living near me when I was kid and I'd seen you doing it, you'd have been one sorry little boy. Killing creaturs that annoy you, when you have built homes in their territory is unjust and cruel. Maybe you should go live in a city if you don't like wildlife?
I'm not saying I never kill things, 'cos I kill fleas, and I have killed slugs when they were totally wrecking my plants, but I hate doing it and it makes me feel like a murderer. They have as much right to live their life as I do.
I never said Larry was Jesus. But he IS a pracicing christian, so I asked if he could imagine Jesus treating a rat - or ANY animal - that way.

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 10-07-2001).]
Old 10-07-2001, 10:51 PM   #40
Killing Spree
Mephistopheles

In ancient Cherokee tradition there is a law know as "The Law Of Retaliation". It speaks that if somebody is harmed by someone else, that person has every right to injure him/her in a similar manner. If a person is killed, it is up to their relatives to kill the murderer. If not you were letting down a duty to your clan/tribe, which was considered the worst of all crimes.

Were the people in the world trade center not worthy of being avenged?

p.s. I like wildlife, I take walks through my backyard a lot to unwind. But my dad was getting a bit tired of getting kicked awake at 2 a.m. because of some squirells. Trust me, there are wild rabbits and white tailed deer all over 'round here and we really love watching them, but you don't want to see MY mother when she's cranky...

------------------
"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."

[This message has been edited by Killing Spree (edited 10-07-2001).]
Closed Thread