Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 02:24 PM   #171
Tiamat
Banned User

I seriously (and many will agree) that I hope that Ossama rots in hell for what he's done......

------------------

I am Tiamat!
Old 10-08-2001, 02:27 PM   #172
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
The terrorists that were behind the hijacking is Scotland some years ago were brought to JUSTICE - we didn't go in and bomb their country of origin.

Hmm and the attack on Khadaffi residence by US fighters that used British Carriers weren´t on a bombing raid??

Sorry to butt in, but Lockerbie was avenged. (Ust had to butt in here Fljotsdale, since I rember this from TV.

Otherwise this war buisness and all, I think that it might have been good to wait a few days more. The idea of now perhaps making Bin Laden the marture of all Terrorists is frightening. If could have gotten him and put him in jail, he could be rotting away, and then his playmate terrorists could be plucked without "problem". Take the head and keep it until the body stops wriggling..

To get rid of the Talibans, sure good thing, most Afghans would probably be thankful. But I´m not cheerful, just thoughtful. Hence I mean no disrespect to any of you here tonight, but the temperature around the world might rise, not only in Afghanistan..

------------------

Howling to the moon, cause this world seems so far away..
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 10-08-2001, 03:36 PM   #173
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Oh yes, I forgot to add that you said you were a Christian for 25 years, but F, a Jehovahs Witness is not a Christian. Christians adhere to the trinity for a start, which, as we all know, you and Jehovahs Witnesses do not.
Jehovah's Witnesses consider all those who believe in the Trinity to be pagan, Yorick, since Trinitarians accept a human teaching that is not found in the bible. JW's consider THEMSELVES to be the only GENUINE christians, and, based on that criterion, they are! So, yes, I was a christian, whether you accept it or not! And no, You are NOT a christian, whether you accept that or not, too!
No, the Jesus I know - and I DO - is not the Jesus you know, that is true.

And although I am not a JW any longer, I have yet to find evidence of the Trinity in the bible, though it is common in other religions of the world, past and present. Only Islam and Judaism stick with the bible teaching of the unique singularity of god.
And, as I've said before, look at them! Hate each others' guts!
A world without religion would be a much better place. Maybe. We'd soon find other reasons to hate each other.
Yup! I'm a pessimist today!

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.
Old 10-08-2001, 03:56 PM   #174
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Posted by Effie:
Jehovah's Witnesses consider all those who believe in the Trinity to be pagan, Yorick, since Trinitarians accept a human teaching that is not found in the bible. JW's consider THEMSELVES to be the only GENUINE christians, and, based on that criterion, they are! So, yes, I was a christian, whether you accept it or not! And no, You are NOT a christian, whether you accept that or not, too! No, the Jesus I know - and I DO - is not the Jesus you know, that is true.

And although I am not a JW any longer, I have yet to find evidence of the Trinity in the bible, though it is common in other religions of the world, past and present. Only Islam and Judaism stick with the bible teaching of the unique singularity of god. And, as I've said before, look at them! Hate each others' guts!

A world without religion would be a much better place. Maybe. We'd soon find other reasons to hate each other.
Yup! I'm a pessimist today!
F, this proves my point. We use the word Christian merely to define what I am calling the majority of believers in Christ who adhere to the same main central tenets and have a relationship with him.

Jesus was not a Christian.

What I was saying, was that you cannot say you have been what I am. If I call myself a Yanada, you cannot. If you called yourself a Thwato, I could not call myself that. For ease of communication and common reference we call the majority of people with a common relationship with Christ, Christian. So we know what we are referring to so one word is used rather than an essay. Jehovahs Witnesses do not fit into the same definition and so cannot be included in that word of reference.

This is why I said, you were not a Christian, but a Jehovahs Witness. Clarification.

Regarding a world without Religion I believe that would be catastrophic. Instead, I believe a world where people followed their religion more accurately would be one of true peace, rather than the current scenario of some religions being hijacked for ends related to power, money and racial supremacy

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 10-08-2001, 03:56 PM   #175
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Out of interest (and because I don't know much about it), where are the main points of difference in JW belief from Christianity - of course not an easy one since it seems to me that all Christians believe something different but just the main differences?

Ok. Main differences:

Do not:
1. accept pagan doctrine of god as a trinity
2. accept blood since the bible says christians should abstain from blood
3. celebrate christmas, since it is (a) not the date of Jesus' birth (b) a continuation of the pagan feasts of Saturnalia/Natalis Solis Invicti (c) not a rquirement for christians to celebrate the birth of christ, only his death, as he instructed
4. do not fight in wars since it is (a) against the christian principle to 'love your enemy' (b) fighting 'for your country' means you may be killing fellow believes in other lands (c) they are subjects of god first, and of human governments second

DO:
1. Accept that god is one, that Jesus is his son, NOT the second part of a trinity, and that holy spirit is the power of god, not a third person of a trinity
2. celebrate the 'last supper' once a year, as Jesus said, not every day or week
3. ALL preach and teach 'from house to house, in the market place' etc, as the apostles and early disciples did
4. LIVE by christian principles of love and obedience to the standards laid out in the bible. (For examle: no sex before marriage, loyalty within marriage. No JW may remain in good standing if they are found to be habitual liars, thieves, drunkards, violent, etc. If they do not change their ways they are not permitted to remain in the religion).

That do?

------------------

Old 10-08-2001, 04:01 PM   #176
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Hmmm... This is off-topic, but I just HAVE to ask, Fljotsdale, why have you removed the "Smile! Life's too short for bitching!" from your sig? I think it was REALLY cool.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.
Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.
Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
General of the highest class and Leader of the Legal Department in the IW Peacekeeping Force.
ORT member, Official Demander of Stuff.

Sorcerer of Lady Lioness' Court.

"If Silence is golden, why does everyone talk so much?"
Old 10-08-2001, 04:08 PM   #177
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
F, this proves my point. We use the word Christian merely to define what I am calling the majority of believers in Christ who adhere to the same main central tenets and have a relationship with him.

Jesus was not a Christian.

What I was saying, was that you cannot say you have been what I am. If I call myself a Yanada, you cannot. If you called yourself a Thwato, I could not call myself that. For ease of communication and common reference we call the majority of people with a common relationship with Christ, Christian. So we know what we are referring to so one word is used rather than an essay. Jehovahs Witnesses do not fit into the same definition and so cannot be included in that word of reference.

This is why I said, you were not a Christian, but a Jehovahs Witness. Clarification.

Regarding a world without Religion I believe that would be catastrophic. Instead, I believe a world where people followed their religion more accurately would be one of true peace, rather than the current scenario of some religions being hijacked for ends related to power, money and racial supremacy
Your last point is valid. As for the rest, we must agree to disagree, ok?

------------------

Old 10-08-2001, 04:11 PM   #178
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Donut, if Jesus was God, and did not sin, then he would have found a way to solve the situation without taking a life. There was a case where he was surrounded by a hostile, increasingly aggressive crowd and was able to walk through them unharmed.

He also raised a man from the dead though.

We are not Jesus. We are flawed failed creatures who complete actions of evil every day. A white lie, an infedelous thought, a cutting thoughtless remark. At best we can ask him to reside in us, make us more like him, and reflect on what he would do in a given circumstance, and indeed even seek his will on a circumstance. The point is not the action taken, but the motive behind it.

A prayerful choice.

I follow Jesus. I am divorced. Jesus taught divorce was wrong. "God hates divorce" is in Malachi. "Let no man tear usunder what God has joined together."
How did I justify this? Undoubtably Jesus, though unmarried, would not have divorced if he were.

I didn't justify it. It is and was a conequence of hers and my failings, hers and my sin. Divorce is a consequence of sin, and entails many sins in the process. War is a consequence of sin, and entails many sins in the process.
At best, in the war of a household, or the war of nations, we can merely navigate a path through the mess that human free will, that human choices can often make. It's part of the deal, and part of the journey. Acceptance that things will never be perfect, but aiming, always aiming towards it.

There is no good in war. At best it is the lesser of two evils, but I honestly believe that by declaring war on terrorism, a terrible cancer that should have been purged years ago, may at last be erradicated, and a longer truer peace - in Ulster, in Israel and Palestine, and in Afgahnistan and America, may be attained.

------------------

Old 10-08-2001, 04:12 PM   #179
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Hmmm... This is off-topic, but I just HAVE to ask, Fljotsdale, why have you removed the "Smile! Life's too short for bitching!" from your sig? I think it was REALLY cool.

Because the sig had gone 'funny'. Kept on not showing up, and I found the blank boxes with the little red X's in the corner very irritating!
I must ask someone to make me another and get Ziroc to host it.

------------------

Old 10-08-2001, 04:14 PM   #180
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Fine F.

I take it then you are suggesting Jesus was a Christian who asked himself into is life, prayed to himself and was thankful that he had died in his own place?

This is part of the rest isn't it?

------------------

Closed Thread