Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2002, 12:23 PM   #1
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

For Christmas, I got my love a Lite Brite, an Uno card game, and a Skip Bo card game. She loved them!! I'm happy that in this day and age of computer and console games that we can still enjoy the simple games. Granted, she beat me like an ugly stepchild in the card games.

Tell me, how many of you played "Connect the dots" or Battleship or Risk/Stratego as a child and kind of miss them?
Old 01-08-2002, 03:13 PM   #2
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

I agree, Hiram. Growing up, we had all kinds of board games like Monopoly and Life and Clue. Some of my most vivid memories are of the *rare* Sundays my dad would join us in Monopoly, start out practically losing his shirt and then ending up richer than Midas! We always tease him that it's too bad he still hasn't gotten that Midas finish down pat in real life!

My sibs still play Uno but I never enjoyed it. I think one of my favorites is still homely old Checkers--used to sit and plan strategy for hours with my great grandma as a little girl--can still beat the pants off my kids even with all their 'advanced' computer training/strategies! [img]smile.gif[/img] Luckily, even with all our pc and play station games, we all still play low-tech games like Scrabble, Yahtzee and Monopoly. (You should hear the cheering when Mama and Papa square off for a heated round or two of Scrabble!!!)
Old 01-08-2002, 03:20 PM   #3
Lavindathar
Harper

I used to love board games, and still enjoy Monopoly, but I have to say, I think I prefer playing computer games over them.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:44 PM   #4
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

I think it may have to do with upbringing and when we were all small.....I grew up pre-computer with my nose firmly in books most of the time which enabled me to develop a highly refined imagination (I 'see' and 'hear' the story rather than simply read dry words) and so board games were more of a learning of strategy than imaginative sortees. Computer games are immediate visual gratification. You can immerse yourself into the graphcs, become one with the engine and not be required to manually construct the worlds. It's a shame, really.

I'm by no means saying pc-gamers are imagination-deficient!!! (they are some of the most imaginative I've ever seen) I just think it's a different mindset altogether these days. I know I immensely enjoy the fantasy AD&D type pc games but still can be found with my nose in a book more often than not .
Old 01-08-2002, 03:58 PM   #5
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

When I saw the "basic games are the best" title of this thread, I thought "basic" was Warcraft II or something. How sad is that. Seriously though, I love board and card games. I used to love battleship. My all time favorites though are Axis and Allies and Shogun.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 01-08-2002, 03:59 PM   #6
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

Computer games makes your brain "lazy" in my opinion..
That's why everybody should do like Hiram, and play more "good old games" for example monopoly, thief and police (maybe we just have that in sweden, I don't know) and stratego..
It's the same with TV and reading..
Old 01-08-2002, 04:04 PM   #7
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

I agree wholeheartedly with the tv vs. reading point!!!

Did anyone see (over the holidays) the new version of the game Clue? It was a Forgotten Realms version!!! I saw it at a local bookstore--and too bad I'd just spent the last of my money Xmas shopping or I'd be playing it now! It looked soooooo good....
Old 01-08-2002, 04:09 PM   #8
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Heh, well, some of us "youngsters" from the computer age still like board games [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Robo Rally for example, Chess, Stratego, Monopoly, I love those games [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2002, 06:42 PM   #9
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I remember those games Hiram! Well, I never had the ol' Lightbright (does an Etch-A-Sketch count LOL?). I loved Uno too, hey, isn't Skip Bo just another (actually more fun) version of Uno? I also loved to play Battleship (you sunk my battleship!) [img]tongue.gif[/img] I also used to love to play Chinese Checkers and Monopoly too.

Well I love to play computer games, but one thing, I think that card games are best played with actual cards, the computer versions just don't do it for me. There is just something like the smell of the cards, the shuffle, the snap of picking up and laying down the cards, etc. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps