Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2002, 05:24 PM   #1
Arathor
The Magister

Im in the underdark after i was captured by the mind flayers, and i am close to getting out i think. but there is this room i have to go through with 3 of them and i cant get past it. i am a kensai -> thief (without my kensai abilities yet, so just a thief). i have keldorn, anomen, jaheira, nalia, and imoen. how can i beat this?
Arathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 05:30 PM   #2
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Try summoning creatures with nalia and Imoen to waste up the Mind Flayers Psionic Stuns...... but my favourite tactic is summoning a Pit fiend... they stun him... but they cant hurt him .... the Golems in the last room can though... newayz if u dont have Anomen with the pit fiend spell then just summon monsters to get stunned the rush them with ur tanks
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 06:16 PM   #3
Mourn Yauntyyr
The Magister

Have Anomen and Jahiera memorize a bunch of chaotic commands (5th level). Then cast on everyone in the party and HAHA - Mind flayers can't affect you with psychic attacks! Keep a close eye on anyone who gets a red tongue-looking-icon on their portrait though: that means that an illthid has managed to latch a tentacle onto their brains and is sucking their smarts out. If they are able to latch on with a second tentacle, it kills the character immediately. (So you'll need to take that character out of combat immediately and have them engage with missile weps/spells).

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: Mourn Yauntyyr ]

Old 01-14-2002, 06:20 PM   #4
Glorfindel

I neva thoguht of Chaotic Commands... good 1 Mourn.... I might have 2 try that 1....
Old 01-14-2002, 07:43 PM   #5
F. Gottwald
Manshoon

you can get greenstone amulets by killing mordenkainens swords (cloudkills will kill them, oddly enough), which should help... their intelligence draining is still a problem though

mindflayers are low-level so death spell works on them

skeleton warriors seem to be immune to their horrible special abilities
Old 01-14-2002, 07:46 PM   #6
Tormentor
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by Mourn Yauntyyr:
! Keep a close eye on anyone who gets a red tongue-looking-icon on their portrait though: that means that an illthid has managed to latch a tentacle onto their brains and is sucking their smarts out. If they are able to latch on with a second tentacle, it kills the character immediately.
[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: Mourn Yauntyyr ]

damn, how i wish to see this!, this never has happened to me before! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 08:01 PM   #7
Micah Foehammer

Use potions of Genius on your characters to help protect them against the intelligence draining attacks.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 08:09 PM   #8
Glorfindel

quote:
Originally posted by F. Gottwald:

mindflayers are low-level so death spell works on them

abilities

Mind Flayers are have quite High Magic Resitance
Old 01-14-2002, 08:12 PM   #9
Mourn Yauntyyr
The Magister

Yeah, since their attacks only work on creatures with minds, they won't work on undead or Mordenkainen's Sword, etc etc. Any charm-type spell or effect(Sleep, Charm Person, Charm Person or Mammal, Domination, Dire Charm, Mass Charm, Otto's Irresistible Dance, Confusion, Chaos, Command, Hold Person, Hold Monster, Greater Command, etc) will not affect creatures who do not have minds. This includes mustard jelly, gray ooze, green slime, all undead (even vampires and liches). Summon anything else though, and they'll end up fighting for the mind flayers rather than for you...

Also, personally I don't like using magic on them as they do have some magic resistance. A good sword in the gut is more dependable.

I think the cloudkill killing summoned creatures is a bug. It should be death fog...oh well. It should kill ANY summoned creature then, including pit fiends, efreeti, etc etc.

No, I was never a nerdy AD&D kid...yeah, that's the ticket,
Mourn Yauntyyr