Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2004, 05:13 AM   #21
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowhound:
2. The Ring
Watching the dead girl crawl through the TV just gave me the chills, end of discussion.
'The Ring' is vastly inferior to the Japanese original. Sadako is much scarier than Samara. Neither film does justice to the book.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:57 AM   #22
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

I agree Dirty Meg.

There's a book? So what's with the book then? More detail?
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 02:44 PM   #23
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

It was written by Koji Suzuki, and first published in 1991. There are a series of four books (Ring, Spiral, Birthday and Loop), two of which (Ring and Spiral) have been translated into English. The book Ring has a lot more to it than the film, and is very readable and will leave you to scared to go near a TV for some time. Giving you all the more reason to read Spiral, which is in my opinion even better than Ring. Ring is a horror novel, and while it outshines anytihng else in the horror genre, Spiral could hold its own as a serious novel.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:09 PM   #24
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hmm, I will have to get my hands on those 2 books then. Thank you for that info Meg.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:31 PM   #25
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Birthday is Ring 0 right? I take it that spiral is Ring 2... don't know with loop though.

The thing behind the television was it scared me for a bit... what I don't like is that she can still pop up out of nowhere, your tv only being a sign. Tsktsk [img]smile.gif[/img]

It will be difficult, but I will look into it thanks a lot [img]smile.gif[/img]
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 12:16 AM   #26
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Ring 2 is not actually an adaptation of Spiral. When Ring was made they made the sequel Rasen, an adaptation of Spiral, at the same time. It was a complete flop. They didn't want to make two adaptations of the same book, so Ring 2 was an original story, which has almost nothing in common with the book.
I just watched Ring 0 on tv. The actress Yukie Nakama, who played Sadako was amazing. Her scream at the end sounds like fingernails scraping against the inside of your skull. Shame the script was complete cack.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:10 PM   #27
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

The Grudge is also based on a Japanese version of the same film - I saw the original with my cousin, and when I saw the trailers here, I was like: "Hey, that looks familiar!"

That film was one of the scariest I've ever seen...man, it haunted me for months. If you want good horror, wath Japanese horror. They are (for the most part) friggin' scary. I mean, The Grudge never lets up, not even when it's day during the film! For me, whenever it's daytime in a horror film, there's a lapse in the jumpy moments, but The Grudge abolished that for me.

The Western version looks like a cheap copy to me...

While I don't watch horror in general, my five moments were:

1) Most of The Shining.
2) Practically all of the original Japanese The Grudge. The whole film was freaky.
3) Not really horror, but Signs made me jump a hell of a lot of times. A great thriller film.
4) I have to admit, Scream has its moments too...
5) I have no idea what this film was called, but when I was very young and with my cousin I saw this really odd film and this one part stuck with me...it took me about a year to get over it.

Basically there were these people trapped in some kind of advanced complex with a robot that was working against them, trying to kill them I think. One of them gets taken away, and later on in the film you see half his face grafted onto the robot's one. Ugh, that part creeped me out, gave me nightmares for ages and made me dislike robots. Hey, I was young, okay? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
slicer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 09:55 PM   #28
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Yeah it's like this one old B&W horror film I saw when I was really young, like 6 or 7, back in the early 70's. I have no idea what the movie was called. I just know it was some movie to where the bad guys would put people into these tubes, standing up, and it would suck all their rings and jewels off of them, but it also would suck their brains, which would start pouring out of their ears. I don't remember anything else but that one part LOL. Was pretty disturbing to watch though as a youngun, and those movies back then were so weak compared to the ones out there now. I can't imagine how I would have reacted to some of the stuff out there now, if I were to watch them at that age LOL.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:50 PM   #29
uss
20th Level Warrior

I loved Ringu. It was quite scary. I watched the Ring after that and hated it - I was being very nitpicky and paid attention to all changes that they made in the remake and I hated all of them.

I also loved the Shining. I just find that scene where there's a person in a bear costume next to a waiter extremely fascinating, because when I first saw it, it was so bizarre and absurd, yet quite scary.

The ending scene for Carrie made me jump.

The Friday the 13-th was in my opinion one of the best suspension movies ever made('til the part where they showed who the killer was) due to well placed camera angles and many completely silent scenes.

EDIT: Was the Grudge really good?Its image in IMDB makes it look like it's a rip off from Ringu.

[ 11-12-2004, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: uss ]
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 01:40 PM   #30
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

'The Grudge' sucks. It doesn't have a plot, and while it is quite scary, 90% of the scary bits are directly taken from Hideo Nataka's 'Ring'. I despise remakes of films, but I'm half expecting the US version of 'The Grudge' to make history and be the first remake to be better than the original.