Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2001, 05:32 AM   #71
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sentinel04:

I guess I made a mistake. When you said I was being "high and mighty", I thought that was kind of negative. But, if you say it wasn't than that's cool.

Anyway, I guess 'afraid' is not a good way of describing things. What I meant was, I didn't want anyone to take this personally. See, that's why I was trying to be nice in my original post. I guess 'afraid' is a little to strong.
Sentinel, don't ever be afraid to post your opinion on these boards! Yorick wasn't trying to flame you (though it might have seemed that way ). People can and will disagree with your post, but it doesn't mean they will dislike/disagree with you as a PERSON. Just remember that!

------------------
My name is Memnoch. And your name is...destined to be a footnote in the sands of time.
Old 04-07-2001, 05:44 AM   #72
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
FYI...I answer posts in the order I see them which is generally from beginning of thread to end. I like to quote if possible and when there are several quotes in a post it is very confusing and a mess to navigate. So often as is the case above, I answered as I went along in a THREE page thread...obviously I didn not want my train of thought to chug of without me while I read several posts so as to answer them all at once. When I read a post, I think what I want to answer, if anything, and type it then!

CloudDoppleganger, stop trying to be me

Also I just wanted to mention - SIX posts in a ROW!!!!!!!!!

------------------
My name is Memnoch. And your name is...destined to be a footnote in the sands of time.
Old 04-07-2001, 06:04 AM   #73
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Sentinel04:
Well, for instance, I used to read the Everlore General Message Board a lot. There, almost all their topics were on politics, or religion. Now, while I'm not questioning the relevance or quality of the topics here, I'm just saying most General Message boards I go to are more serious. That's it. They aren't better, they're just more serious. Posts here are saturated with light hearted threads among friends. I think it's cool the posters here can be that personal, it isn't the norm(of what I've seen anyway). It's my opinion.

Do you argue just to argue?

I agree with you Sentine104. Most other forums that I've seen ARE more serious, or full of flamers who don't have a life. This is the only place in my 5 1/2 years online that I have stayed at. We have a true community here full of people who care about one another, and welcome all new members with open arms. This is truly a wonderful place (bows gratefully in the direction of the Great Overlord Ziroc).

Your answers have been very well stated. You made your point early on, quite clearly it seemed to me. I hope you haven't been put off by those who disagree. Having a differing opinion never should make anyone 'un-friends'. That is one policy that I appreciate very much on this board ~ that we can all agree to disagree and still remain good friends. (Right Yorick? )

And Moridin, in response to your comment "I think while some of the topics here are serious and some people try to have a serious discussion, they always end up going off-topic. Either that or they are discussed for a bit and then everyone ends up saying "that is ok you are entitled to your opinion" or "how about we agree to disagree". I am not suggesting a topic should be discussed to the point of 'anger' but it seems like everyone is willing to toss in an opinion but not really ready to get serious! Oh well, once again just my humble opinion"
My humble opinion (no offense intended as we can agree to disagree ) is that beating a dead horse is often a waste of time. Unless you like ground up horse meat.
------------------

Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.

Most Happy Taker of Zeeke
Member of Fast Fourward

[This message has been edited by bilqis (edited 04-07-2001).]
Old 04-07-2001, 09:08 AM   #74
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
CloudDoppleganger, stop trying to be me

Also I just wanted to mention - SIX posts in a ROW!!!!!!!!!

Only SIX? I shall endeavour to do better, oh Mighty Memnoch Moderator!

Simbul

------------------

Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 04-07-2001, 12:39 PM   #75
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Originally quoted by Bilqis:

Quote:
I agree with you Sentine104. Most other forums that I've seen ARE more serious, or full of flamers who don't have a life. This is the only place in my 5 1/2 years online that I have stayed at. We have a true community here full of people who care about one another, and welcome all new members with open arms. This is truly a wonderful place (bows gratefully in the direction of the Great Overlord Ziroc).

Boy, do I agree with you on that, Bilqis! I've been on many other forums before, and most of them are so filled with baloney that you'd spend a millenium making sandwiches out of it all. Sad to say, most of it is "posturing" by posters who want others to think they're "kewl" or trying to force their viewpoint down someone else, when in fact they know nothing about what they're talking about. Trouble is, it's counterproductive to good communication.

I'm really glad Ironworks isn't like that. My impression of "General Discussions" is a sort of "blow off" place that everyone can come in and let off steam, share something cool, or enjoy conversing with online friends. Thank the gods we don't take ourselves THAT seriously!

Old 04-07-2001, 02:34 PM   #76
Epona
Zartan

I've so far managed not to stick my oar in, but I had to look at the 'everlore' forum.

I don't really consider "What brand of soap do you use" (boring) or "Girls gone wild 2 - AWESOME" (downright offensive) to be good examples of deep meaningful discussion.
Just MHO.

This is not meant as an attack on any comments that have been made so far, but I think our board is a great community. I have just had a birthday where I received cards and e-greetings from several people I met here, Moiraine sent me some CDs of Yorick's music - I can't imagine going anywhere else where I would feel comfortable giving someone my address.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas and The Ladies Guild.
Old 04-07-2001, 05:02 PM   #77
Sentinel04
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
I've so far managed not to stick my oar in, but I had to look at the 'everlore' forum.

I don't really consider "What brand of soap do you use" (boring) or "Girls gone wild 2 - AWESOME" (downright offensive) to be good examples of deep meaningful discussion.
Just MHO.

This is not meant as an attack on any comments that have been made so far, but I think our board is a great community. I have just had a birthday where I received cards and e-greetings from several people I met here, Moiraine sent me some CDs of Yorick's music - I can't imagine going anywhere else where I would feel comfortable giving someone my address.

Heh yeah, it's pretty bad . I quit reading those boards like a year ago, when I quit EQ, it seems they've gone down hill.

------------------

You're not lost if you don't care where you are.
Old 04-07-2001, 05:04 PM   #78
Sentinel04
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

YES!! Convert!!

When you finish a book Sentinel would you mind posting a review there? No one will flame you for your opinion, I'll make sure of that! That way we gather more and more viewpoints on different books and everyone benefits!

Sure, NP I'll write a review of the books read .

Also, I have to admit this is perhaps the most mature board I've seen. Everyone is polite and respectful. Thanks for including me.

------------------

You're not lost if you don't care where you are.
Old 04-07-2001, 05:49 PM   #79
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Sentinel:

First, welcome to the board. I don't think I have seen you before. I know that I am going to repeat alot of the sentiments previously expressed, but I did want to be included.

I don't think that I intentionally ever spam. I know that sometimes when I see someone post that I have been wanting to mention something to, I have a hard time deciding whether to get "off topic" right there and say something to them or post a new thread. I guess I wonder about posting a thread just to get a message to someone, but I do that more now because I've seen other people do it and figure it's OK. (And I don't always want to e-mail them).

I do think we have a sense of community. The board meets different needs of mine at different times. I admit that I personally like to play, and joke, and cut-up, (and will not into all the factors in my life that make this an important release for me). I FEEL like if I had a serious problem or event in my life, people on the board would rally around me.

I look at alot of threads and if I don't feel like I have anything of importance on a serious topic, I don't post. (Sorry, Memnoch, but there is nothing I could contribute to a cricket thread).

I must agree that sometimes you have to ferret out the serious topic or start ir yourself. Personally, I like how Rikard will start a topic asking for serous conversation and no spamming. It let's me know, right off the bat if I'm not in the mood for I serous discussion, I need not apply.

I must say that I have met the most helpful people in the world on this board. Sometimes I have had technical difficulty with things, I post a question, and in minutes I am bombarded by people trying to help. It's incredible to me.

Just like in RL, you don't click with everyone you meet, the same holds true here. I click with some people better than others. Those that I have clicked with we talk more and post to each other more, but I can truly say that I would be willing to help out anyone on the board at any time. I disagree with people sometimes in their opinions (always a danger when people are being honest, no one is going to agree all the time), but what impressed me is that no one (I think) gets really mad and we can all go on and treat each other with the dignity and respect that everyone deserves.

I can truly say that I have found a home here. I have found real friends here. I a care deeply about what happens to the people on this board. As most things in life, this board is what you make it. I choose to make it a haven for myself.

Welcome aboard, Sentinel

------------------
Reeka--The Hand of Death O_H_F
Lady in Waiting (the question is waiting for what?)
Yes, I do get cold. That is why I need someone to warm me up.
No, I did not lose the rest of my outfit!
Does anyone feel a draft or is it me?
Official Party Planner and Events Coordinator of the Moon's Hope Inn
Does this make me a party girl?
Proud Member of the Ladies Guild
GMDLM
A girl needs a paladin watching her back

Old 04-07-2001, 08:08 PM   #80
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Mind you I should point out that I think meaningless posts are just as valid as 'serious' posts. Why do people place sadness above happiness as an emotion? A comedian is just as powerful as a sombre philisophical writer in that they both stimulate the brain, just to different ends. Making people happy is very important, and the lighthearted posts are productive to those involved.

Just grabbing the opportunity: I have not agreed so wholeheartedly with you in quite some time !

------------------
So long !

R³ - new, much improved signature under construction !