Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2003, 10:26 AM   #1
kroma
Dungeon Master

Hi guys im new here...

This is my third attempt to complete Icewind Dale in the past couple of years - Ive never got further than the Lizard Caves bit (cant remember the exact name of the part, but you probably all know which bit I mean). I am determined to complete the game this time, and my party is shaping up quite nicely.

Anyway, I just have a couple of questions regarding the rule system in general of this game... I hope someone can find the time to answer them!

Here goes:

1) Just what the hell is 'Turn Undead' ?? I have looked in the index of the manual but there is nothing on it! I would love to know, cos it sounds like it might be of use to me! I tell my cleric to do it everytime we run into skeletons etc. but I have no idea why!!

2) I know this is probably asked loads, but could someone briefly explain THAC0 to me or link me to an article about it? Im guessing its like AC, where the lower the score the better based on the fact that my fighters have THAC0's of 15(10) and 16(11), and my wizards have THAC0's of 19(18) and 19(19).
Also, is the first number your base THAC0 and the number in brackets your THAC0 after equipment bonuses?

Um, I think there are other things I wanted to know, but I cant think of them right now. I will post them as and when.

Many thanks!
Old 08-20-2003, 10:30 AM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

1) Turn Undead is useful to blow up Undead.-litteraly. On high level that is.

2)THACO-To Hit AC 0.

Basically, if you have a THACO of 10, you need to roll a 10 or better on 1d20 in order for the hit to connect on a target who has an AC of 0.

The basic formula is as follows,

THACO - AC = Number to match or beat on 1d20.

ie: THACO(5) - AC(2) = 3( Must roll 3 or better on 1d20)

Always remember that when you subtract a negative number, it works out like this. 2 - (-2) = 2 + 2 = 4.

Additionally, a roll of 1 is always considered a Critical Miss, while a roll of 20 is considered a Critical Hit and doubles the damage( if the target has headgear, it will still be an automatic hit, but the damage will not be doubled)

Oh and Welcome [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

[ 08-20-2003, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 10:43 AM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Welcome kroma! I am just going to ad to the "Turn Undead" ability. At lower levels it will drive the undead away so you don't have to fight an army of them at the same time, or so you can shoot them with ranged weapons as they run away. At higher levels you should destroy them, I think if you have an evil cleric you will actually gain control of them, I have never used in evil cleric in IWD so I am not sure about this.

When using the undead, you can move your cleric, but if you do anything else with him like attack, the cleric will stop turning undead. It is a very useful ability in the Vale of Shadows, and a few other areas were you have not been yet.

Good Luck on your current game.

[ 08-20-2003, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 11:55 AM   #4
kroma
Dungeon Master

Thanks guys for the info... And for the welcome! [img]smile.gif[/img]

So are these examples right?

------------------------------------------------------------------

An enemy has a AC of 5, My figher has the THAC0 of 10 =
10-5=
Need to roll 5 or higher for him to strike the enemy.

If the enemy had an AC of 3 and my figher has THAC0 13 =
13-3=
Need to roll 10 or higher

Enemy has AC of -1 and my fighter has THAC0 10 =
10-(-1) = 10+1=
Need to roll 11 or higher to hit the enemy.

------------------------------------------------------------------

They sound about right to me...

Also, let me get this straight, when your cleric is turning undead you should not do anything with him/her except move? No wonder it hasnt seemed to have any effect before, I always set my cleric to turn undead, and then had her attack the undead! (it made sense at the time).

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!
Old 08-20-2003, 12:35 PM   #5
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

You got it! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 08-20-2003, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 01:40 PM   #6
kroma
Dungeon Master

Woohoo! I actually understand THAC0 now!! Makes the game much more fun when you actually understand all the rules, i always knew that AC and THAC0 should be as low as possible, but I wasnt entirely sure why.
I know there was a couple of other things I wanted to ask, but cant remember what they are now! Ill post them up once I remember them.
Thanks again! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2003, 01:42 PM   #7
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Well i am happy that I could help!
Old 08-20-2003, 02:53 PM   #8
NobleNick
Quintesson

That's what we need around here: ANOTHER satisfied customer....

Welcome to the forum, kroma!

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 06:17 AM   #9
kroma
Dungeon Master

Right, I now have another question about the game - I hope someone has time to answer it!

I have noticed that as a character goes up in levels, the amount of hitpoints they earn each time gets smaller and smaller! My party are all approx. level 9 now, and they are each earning only 2HP per level! Is this the case? I was kind of counting on getting more HP than that because I am having real problems beating Maiden Ilmadia and getting her badge...

I havent tried the "Always Gain Maximum Level Up Hitpoints" option in IWD config program, cos it kind of seems like cheating.

Any info on this is appreciated!

Cheers!

[ 09-22-2003, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: kroma ]
Old 09-22-2003, 09:08 AM   #10
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Well the game rolls dice for how many HP`s will you get. If you lower the difficulty on Minimum you will get higher HP`s. You can also Save the game before Level up and Reload so many times until you are happy with it.