Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2002, 12:01 PM   #1
Grungi
Banned User

had a look at the toolset little realising what it could do and a few hours later have created some nicely linked dungeons replete with monsters, but im having problems with so many things because as per usual i want to do more and create more [img]tongue.gif[/img] basically first problem im having is with the conversations, creating them is easy but creating npc reactions after isnt...

1) i made one convo so the npc attacks immediately after because you provoke him but although he attacks he sits around waiting for about 5 seconds before doing so, anyone know why?

2) how do i make someone disappear completely at the end of a conversation?

3) one guy i set up to converse with quest related dialogue turns round when i try and talk to him but then doesnt respond at all and wont even fight back if attacked despite fact i thought i had set him to

4) where is a really good resource site for the toolset? havent found any good ones yet that help me very much at all

5) the npc AI scripts, is there anywhere that lists what they all actually do? the ones i have created i give logical names like "npcattack" so i know what they will do, but the precreated ones dont make much sense unless i look at the code and i hate coding [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 07:01 PM   #2
Chewbacca
Zartan

#4:

scripting resource- This site made me hate scripting less.

http://www.reapers.org/nwn/reference/

Toolset and custom-content tutorials here-

http://nwvault.ign.com/modules/tutorials/viewlets/

http://nwvault.ign.com/modules/tutorials

I Don't know if these are the "resources" you are looking for but they sure help me. oh yeah another great resource:

http://nwn.bioware.com/

Cheers!
Old 12-03-2002, 06:06 AM   #3
Grungi
Banned User

thanks, any ideas straight off to answer my questions? its frustrating when things dont work out like i want em too [img]tongue.gif[/img] so many ideas but its not letting some of them happen, i will crack it though
Old 12-03-2002, 05:53 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

#1- Hmmm, I dunno this one. I assume you used the script wizard to create a quick script at the end of a conversation. If so this delay hasn't happened to me.

#2- Use one or both of these script functions: ActionMoveToLocation and/or DestroyObject(OBJECT_SELF); at the end of conversation event handler. Let me know if ya need more details about this.

#3 hmmm? I'd check the npc's properties to see if the conversation is in place and faction set right. If a character is set to commoner faction they wont attack, but will flee or freeze if attacked. Also a npc set to "plot" should not attack and is indestructable.

#5- Although I am only 6 months old at scripting, the opinion I have seen is that Bioware used a very counter-intuitve naming convention for the built-in scripts. You have to dig, expiriment and copy scripts you like and rename them. I had heard of someone creating a guide for all those scripts but have not seen one yet.

NW Vault has a tutorial walk-through of the prelude and first chapter of the O.C. that describes the scripts used in the real game. Nice little tutorial.

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2002, 07:23 AM   #5
Grungi
Banned User

ah its cos i set him to plot? well what i wanted was this...
character who seems like an old helpful guy but is really a demon so if your stupid enough to attack him your in for a shock (at this stage anyway) would be even cooler if i could warp him from old man to demon? any idea how to do that? anyhows would only happen if they attacked, and they dont deserve to live if they do that [img]tongue.gif[/img] , poor old man, eek firespitting demon, doh [img]smile.gif[/img] ah okay so its plot getting in the way of things, spose i dont need it then. But they have to speak to this guy really to continue, so can i link him in with the opening of a door? ie they have to speak to him before an unlockable door opens?

and custom scripts id like, i did about 6 programming languages in the past and hated all of em, i dont like programming at all [img]tongue.gif[/img] so im doing everything i can to avoid it and make things easy, anyhows i literally only been at this consturction thing for a few hours total, but already created 5 populated levels and a nice plot, played it through but got my ass whupped the 1st time on the first few monsters, so tried it with different tactics and took all of em heh sad that im trying to beat myself at my own game and failing [img]smile.gif[/img] other annoying thing is the damn traps i set, you'd have thought id remember em but oh no i keep dying to the things [img]tongue.gif[/img] cant wait till i get a finished product.

oh and basically this is a quick structure of what im trying to do if you can help

begin in forest location, guy approaches them conversation options etc but no chance of attack and whatever happens end result is them being portalled to another location (not sure how to get this to happen regardless at end of npc conversation) next location the guy is there again this time a conversation but hes attackable (stupid idea atm threat rating of 27 which i think is quite high [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) but if you proceed he opens a previoulsy unopenable door, then you meet him again a few levels down, each time its the same guy but with different conversations and places each time.

any quick guide you can help me there? [img]tongue.gif[/img] all the levels, doors etc are created also the monsters, thats the easy part i realised, but getting the plot going is harder, still its fun trying [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2002, 05:55 AM   #6
Grungi
Banned User

anyone? [img]tongue.gif[/img]