Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2002, 11:38 PM   #1
Sir Goulum
John Locke

in your opinion, what is the best race and class for people to be when soloing. i really would like your guys opinions.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 11:48 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

The one that you enjoy the most.

Cheers.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 11:49 PM   #3
Sir Goulum
John Locke

i want ur guysus opinions!!! on what you are using for soloing or your dream solo guy!!! plz!!
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 12:02 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Well... if you want to follow the 'crowd', the easiest would the infamous Kensai->Mage. Berserker->Clerics are notable as well. They appeal to those who like to melee while boosted by spells.

For those who prefer magic... Conjurers, Necromancers, Generalistic Mages, and Sorcerers are the way to go.

For those who want style, pride and honour, Cavalier, Undead Hunter and the Inquisitor.

For those who just want to bash things and could not be bother to fiddle around with spellcasting, we have the Monk, Barbarian and the Berserker.

For those who prefer stealthy combat, we have the Archer and all the Thief kits. The Kensai->Thief is particularly awesome here if you have ToB.

Then there are those who like to multiclass and try to get the best of 2-3 worlds. Fighter/Mages are like Kensai->Mages, but with less melee and magic power. They make up for this with more HLAs from ToB.

Cleric/Mages are the powerhouse of spellcasters, although they will never excel in one class, they compensate by having a mind-boggling array of lower level spells.

Ranger/Clerics are for those who prefer beneficial spells, as you are essentially marrying a tank with a priest. This class gets the benefit of having Druid spells as well.

In the end... the class that you will find the easiest to play with, is the one that fits your style of playing. Frankly, I suck at soloing kits like Barbarians, Berserkers, etc... but other people have had great success with them. I prefer raining ammageddeon(sp?) on my enemies with my Sorcerer.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 10:25 AM   #5
Sir Alexandre
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, i am having GREAT GREAT GREAT fun with my elven sorcerer. Just be sure to pick the right spells and you'll be insanely powerfull
Old 02-15-2002, 10:29 AM   #6
Foo
Dungeon Master

I've just started soloing for the first time with a Kensai, dualed at level 12 to a Mage. It's going pretty well, I've done many of the easier Athkatla quests, and I'm at level 12/11, so not far to go to get back my Kensai abilities.

I had never used a Kensai before, and I was amazed at how strong they are offensively! That, coupled with high-level mage spells available earlier in the game (plus the TOB special abilities) won't make it easy, but sure will be fun! I've been playing BG games since the beginning, and it's been a while since I've enjoyed them as much as I am now doing it solo.

As far as what's the BEST char to solo as, the previous post spelled it out very nicely-whatever you'll feel satisfied doing it as!
Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 01:04 PM   #7
Jim
Quintesson

I would have recommended that you dual at level 13 Foo, since that gives you an additional 1/2 attack per round, but whats done is done [img]smile.gif[/img]
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 01:20 PM   #8
Nifft the Nimble

Due to the effect that Project Image and the ToB 10th Leve Spells have on Sorcerers, they are easily the most powerful spellcasters by several orders of magnitude. One Sorcerer can easily handle several major battles without needing to rest -- one person on this forum even used his high-level spells and Project Image to avoid resting all the way through ToB!

For anything other than the ultimate power trip, though, you need to look at your play style. I recommend multi-class Thieves, since anyone can win a fight but only a thief can disarm a trap. Thief/Mage would probably be the most powerful multi-class, but Fighter/Thief is also fun & powerful. As Dundee wisely posits, it depends on your play style.

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 04:08 PM   #9
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Monks and Sorcerers are the two extremes of powers.
Old 02-15-2002, 06:34 PM   #10
skier9205
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by Nifft the Nimble:

For anything other than the ultimate power trip, though, you need to look at your play style. I recommend multi-class Thieves, since anyone can win a fight but only a thief can disarm a trap. Thief/Mage would probably be the most powerful multi-class, but Fighter/Thief is also fun & powerful. As Dundee wisely posits, it depends on your play style.

-- Nifft

It's my first time soloing and I went for a thief dualed to a mage and I think that a theif/mage is a great first-time soloing choice if you are mor of a spell caster.
skier9205 is offline   Reply With Quote