Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Default Issue that I could use advice on

I am currently renting a mobile home while we're trying to sell our home in Winston-Salem, NC. A lady has been renting from us for the past six months in that old house. The bad news...she cannot afford to pay rent any longer. The good news...she was approved in court today to receive 3 years back-pay for disability insurance, and she wants to buy the house as soon as she has the money.

Problems: Her lawyer told her it could take a few months for the first check to appear. Also, from my banking days I know that banks won't give a person a home loan or any kind of major loan if the only source of income is not work income. She wants the house and we want her to be the one to buy it, but I don't know how long to wait. My wife said that it's better to allow her to live there for free rather than leave the house abandoned because at least she's keeping it up where we would not be able to and sitting abandoned for months while waiting on a buyer could be devastating.

Thoughts?
Old 03-05-2011, 02:24 AM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Issue that I could use advice on

Your wife is wise. I'd say, if no immediate alternative arrives, rather than let the house fall into disrepair, allow her to stay there for free as a "house-sitter". Wait to see if she can buy it in a few months , while, in the meantime keeping your eyes open for buyers and even advertising the property as "for sale" Shitty time to sell unfortunately, but great time to buy if you have the cash. You might get lucky if your price is slashed.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Questions remain to be answered...
  1. When she gets this back pay, will she buy the house outright or need to get a loan?
  2. Are you willing to consider a land contract (where you essentially give her the loan)? I believe you could then sell that to someone else later, albeit at a discount.
  3. Have you consulted a property attorney? I would be *extremely* hesitant to let someone occupy my expensive asset for no charge with no rules, guidelines, or expectations.
  4. What are the odds of getting another renter in there? Her leaving does not mean the property has to stand abandoned.
  5. Have you talked to a property management company about possibly handling this for you?

Frankly, I get nervous with what I hear you say. I'm sure I don't know the entire story, but it sounds like you're really exposed here, and the downside is losing the asset (this house). Are you able to weather that loss?

You have more options than you may think.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

B is on to something here for sure.

Property management is the only way to go when it's a long distance rental.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote