Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2003, 09:58 PM   #1
Nerull
Lord Ao

I have not made it a point to mod my games much (though I did put in the Ease of Use to get rid of "you must gather your party"). I like playing good, but played neutral once to see Jaheira romance (actually got it to work fine without bugs, wow!) and played a neutral with mixed neutral and evil party to romance Viconia. I want to play good again in another game, but do not want to romance any of the main romance characters that come with the game. I am planning to play male.

I noticed both the Nalia and the Imoen romances (I actually had a bit of a crush on Imoen from the first game). I also see the various NPCs out there, and know some of them are romancable (is that a word? ). I was just wanting peoples' opinions about these various add-ons that add romantic options (likes, dislikes, easy, hard, etc.). I just don't want another romance with Aerie!

Oh, and feel free to spoil on the game part itself (for example, it's okay to speak about Bohdi taking your romance and vamping her...see the spoiler tag on the title!). However, don't spoil the romances themselves too much, as I would like to play through them (and post quite a bit if I have problems )
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 02:56 AM   #2
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

I have the simultaneous romance patch downloaded, but I never felt interested in it enough to use it - I like the idea that you have to choose one girl to be interested in, otherwise their bickering dialogue doesn't mean anything...

My favorite is still the Viconia one because I like the way she talks dirty to me [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

[I generally don't use mods - risk of something screwing up; I like to play SoA pretty much the way BioWare released it, with only the bugs fixed - I don't even use ToB anymore, and in fact I'm going to disable the XP cap remover from now on]

[ 05-13-2003, 02:57 AM: Message edited by: Mahlennacht ]
Mahlennacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:40 AM   #3
serjeLeBlade
Welcomed New User

I would suggest Tashia.
There are people that didn't like the Imoen's romance out there, and even if I'm not one of them, I wouldn't suggest it to everybody.
I never tried Nalia's romance, but afaIk it proved so good, satisfying and rewarding that Jason Compton (the author of Kelsey) felt the need to write another (which is still work in progress).

Otho,I still have to hear about people who tried Tashia and didn't like it: so my suggestion is, go for her!
serjeLeBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:11 PM   #4
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by serjeLeBlade:
I would suggest Tashia.
There are people that didn't like the Imoen's romance out there, and even if I'm not one of them, I wouldn't suggest it to everybody.
I never tried Nalia's romance, but afaIk it proved so good, satisfying and rewarding that Jason Compton (the author of Kelsey) felt the need to write another (which is still work in progress).

Otho,I still have to hear about people who tried Tashia and didn't like it: so my suggestion is, go for her!
Hmm...I thought about the Nalia romance, in fact the site is added to my favorites in case I wanted to download, but never got around to it. I've heard both good and bad about Tashia. I have heard almost nothing about the Imoen one. I know that the Imoen one is open to all races/genders; what are the restrictions on the other two? And are there any other romance options?
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 05-13-2003, 09:36 PM   #5
Kish
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I absolutely loathed Tashia, but Aerie is my favorite romance still, so what's good for me may not be the same as what's good for you.

If you decide to try any of the Bioware romances, I'd recommend the flirt packs from http://www.forgottenwars.net/npcflirt .
Old 05-13-2003, 09:39 PM   #6
jcompton
Elminster

Quote:

For the sarcasm-impaired (and to clarify the point a bit)--my de'Arnise Romance project isn't a direct "answer" to Arnel's existing one. We both came up with the idea independently, and when I heard of his, I decided that I'd plow ahead with mine unless his was splendidly world-beating. I didn't find it so, so I was undaunted.

As for being tired of Aerie, have you tried her flirt pack yet? You might enjoy filling in the gaps between those now-familiar lovetalks.

Flat out, Tashia's a bit of a Mary Sue. She gets the better of most everyone in the party and nobody has the goods on her. (Disclaimer: it's true that Kelsey does score a fair few points on the proposed "Is your BG2 mod NPC a Mary Sue?" scale.)

Imoen's Romance requires you to basically accept a "different" Imoen. The author adds various game events that make the romance more "plausible." Gone is the girl who's perfectly happy being your sister and says so. Some people think that the characterizations involved reflect poorly on everyone from Imoen to Irenicus, although others swear by it.

Other romance options include Kelsey and Solaufein (both male: Kelsey romances female PCs, Solaufein romances anybody.) Coming soon is everyone's favorite lesbian demigoddess kensai, Chloe.

[ 05-13-2003, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: jcompton ]
Old 05-13-2003, 10:53 PM   #7
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by jcompton:
quote:

For the sarcasm-impaired (and to clarify the point a bit)--my de'Arnise Romance project isn't a direct "answer" to Arnel's existing one. We both came up with the idea independently, and when I heard of his, I decided that I'd plow ahead with mine unless his was splendidly world-beating. I didn't find it so, so I was undaunted.

As for being tired of Aerie, have you tried her flirt pack yet? You might enjoy filling in the gaps between those now-familiar lovetalks.

Flat out, Tashia's a bit of a Mary Sue. She gets the better of most everyone in the party and nobody has the goods on her. (Disclaimer: it's true that Kelsey does score a fair few points on the proposed "Is your BG2 mod NPC a Mary Sue?" scale.)

Imoen's Romance requires you to basically accept a "different" Imoen. The author adds various game events that make the romance more "plausible." Gone is the girl who's perfectly happy being your sister and says so. Some people think that the characterizations involved reflect poorly on everyone from Imoen to Irenicus, although others swear by it.

Other romance options include Kelsey and Solaufein (both male: Kelsey romances female PCs, Solaufein romances anybody.) Coming soon is everyone's favorite lesbian demigoddess kensai, Chloe.
[/QUOTE]Actually, I did not know you were working on your own version of the Nalia romance. What I heard about the current one is that it takes her out of character from what you normally see from her, much like what you are telling me about the Imoen romance.

I was debating the flirt pack, but considering what I have seen about them on the posts, I am definitely planning on adding them to the game.

Tashia sounds like a pain in the butt. Might try her one of these days, but will probably hold off on her.

Hadn't heard about Chloe. What's the deal with that one?
Old 05-14-2003, 12:09 AM   #8
jcompton
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:

Tashia sounds like a pain in the butt. Might try her one of these days, but will probably hold off on her.
Well, the thing about NPCs is that you can always kick them out if you don't like them. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
Hadn't heard about Chloe. What's the deal with that one?
There's a forum for her at http://forums.fwstudios.net ... she's a lesbian demigoddess kensai. Says it all, really. [img]smile.gif[/img] The mod is in beta stages, will feature original voice work, and has a romance for female PCs and Imoen (who doesn't these days?)

[ 05-14-2003, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: jcompton ]
Old 05-14-2003, 10:24 AM   #9
serjeLeBlade
Welcomed New User

I see that my post proved more ambiguous than i hoped...

@Nerull, what I wanted to suggest was the following
(assuming that you want to play male as you said):

1) There are two Nalia romances, one finished and one in developement, and since it has been said that the first one portraits an out of character Nalia, I would suggest to wait for jcompton's one to be finished, like me and a lot of other people are doing.
2) If you wanted to romance Imoen, I assume you are willing to put aside all of the problems and prejudices related to the very concept of romancing a sibling/half-sister/childhood friend/whatever, so I would suggest to try the romance.
But be warned: the author decided to put so many options for the player in there,that almost everybody has managed to find something annoying amongst them. If you choose all of the correct options, you get a nice romance, but you get the chance to be cruel to her as well, or to act totally stupid for no apparent reason, or to try to romance her and fail getting her mad at you instead!
Again... you've been warned.
3) I found no major problems or drawbacks in Tashia romance instead... Ok, someone find her annoying, but hey, there's a lot of people that find annoyng any single romanceable npc in the game!

Anyway, my current favourite is Viccy, obviously with the wonderful aforementioned flirt pack from Forgotten Wars [img]smile.gif[/img]
Ahh... lilacs and blood...
serjeLeBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 12:24 PM   #10
jcompton
Elminster

Quote:
1) There are two Nalia romances, one finished and one in developement, and since it has been said that the first one portraits an out of character Nalia, I would suggest to wait for jcompton's one to be finished, like me and a lot of other people are doing.
I'm not sure Arnel's problem was casting Nalia out of character. Rather, it was the fact that he didn't do anything WITH the character. Really, all we find out about her, aside from a boring and confusing plot involving an old boyfriend, is that she wants to help the needy, and he doesn't really get much deeper than that.

It's not without redeeming moments (the arranged-marriage wedding ceremony is a cute cutscene) but in a day and age where few people tolerate .tlk overwriting mods without a really good reason, you may have a hard time working it into your install.

Quote:
Anyway, my current favourite is Viccy, obviously with the wonderful aforementioned flirt pack from Forgotten Wars [img]smile.gif[/img]
Ahh... lilacs and blood...
Heh. Sounds like you're a true romantic. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-14-2003, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: jcompton ]