Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
javan
Zhentarim Guard

Last week my computer got hit with some sort of malware that calls itself "Adware.W32.ExpDwnldr". [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]

I kept getting popups like this.
Er, NO, just because you infected my computer with a virus I do not feel obligated to buy your software to remove it! [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img]

Other times the popup would start Internet Explorer at this antivirus retailer.
Later my desktop wallpaper would be covered with a bright red biohazard sign with a link to another antivirus site. [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img] At random times within three minutes one of these popups would appear interrupting whatever I was doing and forcing me to "ALT+F4" it away.

Sympatic Antivirus (I scheduled this to scan every time I signed on) did not pick it up; I can understand that given that it is a trojan not a virus. AdAware did not stop the popups. Checking the forums here, previous members recommended Spybot SD. I downloaded it from Tucows website which also recommended Super Antispyware.

After hitting it with every scan I could use the popups stopped... for an hour... then came back with a vengence!

Symantic reported a "Winfix.exe" bug. It started in my son's .../IE/TemporaryInternetFiles/... directory. My son needs Internet Explorer for Maple Story- a MMORG he plays: for the record I use Opera exclusively. Google found a description of "Winfix.exe" that matched my symptoms exactly. It went into how to edit the registry to remove the pest. Unfortunately my computer skills were not up to the task so I ended up formatting the C: drive and reinstalling everything.

Be careful out there...
javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #2
Zebodog

These losers have been in the news recently. Even Symantec took a run athem a while back. If it makes you feel any better, a lawsuit has been filed against them.
http://www.theinternetpatrol.com/law...d-drivecleaner
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:41 AM   #3
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

I think i had that same win.exe thing, McAfee took care of them all. I'm glad about the lawsuit, but I'd rather break my hand on some of the geek's faces. I really hate the people who send out spam and virus' and stuf. I don't know javan, your computer skills are better than mine, how did u do that fire and devil smiley?
Old 07-05-2007, 05:06 AM   #4
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

There is a link at the top of the page

Has all the smilies the forum has installed. For that fire devil one, believe it or not, it's :firedevil : (without the space between devil and the last colon)

[img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img]