Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2003, 05:06 AM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

I was reading the thread about Keanu Reeves ( http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...;f=10;t=016132 ) and many feel how great he is for giving away money from his earnings from the Matrix films.

I got to thinking about Bill Gates.

I was just wondering why Microsoft Bill doesn't seem to get much slack for his charitable donations. I think his foundation is doing incredible work and wanted to know what your thoughts are about him.

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/default.htm

Mark
Old 06-04-2003, 05:10 AM   #2
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

He can miss it. Even if he donated 90% of his total wealth, he would still be rich enough to make sure the rest of his life was a permanent holiday.
Still, that doesn't mean that I don't appriciate the fact that he is donating Billions to charity's. Way 2 go Bill!
Old 06-04-2003, 05:59 AM   #3
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

I think its awesome that he donates alot to charitable organisations, what i dont like is the huge conglomerate that is Microsoft, I mean only recently has X-Box been raking in too much cash and has had to become a whole 'new' and seperate company, but then they buy out Sega their own purposes meaning no more mad Sega games on anything that isnt an Xbox, I just despise their global domination, oh yes only a matter of months before microsoft have us all working in caves for them...mark my words ( cease rant )
Old 06-04-2003, 06:28 AM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
I was reading the thread about Keanu Reeves ( http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...;f=10;t=016132 ) and many feel how great he is for giving away money from his earnings from the Matrix films.

I got to thinking about Bill Gates.

I was just wondering why Microsoft Bill doesn't seem to get much slack for his charitable donations. I think his foundation is doing incredible work and wanted to know what your thoughts are about him.

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/default.htm

Mark
You are quite right, Skywalker. Bill gates really HAS worked hard and donated money to people $1000's of dollars by just writing him, and then they weigh all the letters, do some checks and then they send the worst off a check.

I am happy he is helping, and yeah, people, for some reason, love to 'down' people when they are 'in the lime light' or are really popular or famous. Look at Martha Steward (Yeah, I know) but she isn't a vile evil person, and she has ALSO donated many thousands of dollars to childrens hospitals and cancer clinics, but everyone loves to dwell on the negative. Humankind is like this, which is why we need to stop, and think about what we say, because we shouldn't judge someone by their occupation or what the media says.

Good post!

PS: Even though MS kinda screwed me, I know it wasn't Bill's fault. I bet he never even KNEW of the contract I signed with Microsoft for $45,000. I *do* blame the handler and the Area Manager for Microsoft Games though. [img]smile.gif[/img] But 'oh well'. I'm not going to dwell on it. Time to move on and think of the future.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 06-04-2003, 06:37 AM   #5
skywalker
Banned User

Yes, Ziroc, I think Martha Stewart is getting screwed. She is now being brought up on civil charges. She is certainly not the worst offender, but she is a well known one. There are far bigger crooks getting less attention than her for this type of thing.

Mark