Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2002, 12:07 AM   #1
Imrahil
Elminster

I finished the game for the first time & I'm like... "eh". [img]smile.gif[/img]

That was kinda anti-climactic.

I almost wish they'd let me finish the battle right before that one. I'd have felt a little more satisfaction if they'd let me kill (call me bloodthirsty) Isair & Madae in the penultimate battle rather than whet my appetite for a "the bad guys died despite what you did" type ending.

I know it's cheesy but I always like the "hard-fought battle followed by 'No! No! How can this be?!?'" type ending with a decent movie or cut-scene to watch.

I kinda feel like my characters could have laid seige to the Hand & just waited this one out (if you believe the storyline).

Also, I never really cared about Isair & Madae. They certainly weren't on the level of Sarevok, Melyssan, or Behlifet (I'm sure I spelled at least one of those wrong). They seemed like nuisances rather than arch-villains. They didn't seem invlolved in the plot. To be honest, other than the final "& enslave eveyone else" sentence, I was kinda sympathetic towards them & likely would've wished them well.

I mean, hey, let them have their little half-everything kingdom in The Hand & Dragon's Eye. No one else was using it. I like a good villain I can hate or who is trying to kill me. I really felt like I was the bad guy intruding on their little Land of Misfits! I almost felt bad for them that this adventuring band with the almighty power of Reload was here to kill them. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, I totally enjoyed this game right up 'til the end & will very likely undertake the HoF challenge now, but I still feel a little guilty about killing these two orphans who wanted a land to themselves (not to mention that they weren't defeated by me, but by a timer!). [img]smile.gif[/img]

- Imrahil
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 01:05 AM   #2
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Yeah, that's about the consensus regarding the endgame, such as it was. The party could have gone back home, and still won the game. Of course, you did get the poor slaves out of there in time, so that's something.

As for Isair & Madae, that was also my feeling about them. They weren't strong villains.

As for their "land of happy halfbreeds", well, given the sort of critters they were recruiting, I doubt it would have lasted very long. Not to mention - but I will - that their idea of "land" was everything in sight

I had a little sympathy for them, but not a lot.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 02:17 AM   #3
Madrigal Five
Dungeon Master

The next question, I guess, would be: Who is your favorite Villain from the Infinity Engine games?

For me, I think it's Irenicus. Maybe his showing up a lot in the course of the BG2 adventure gives him more impact. Lousy costume, though.
Madrigal Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 10:41 AM   #4
Eg0[)e@th
Dungeon Master

Very bad outfit. I couldn't decide if he was an uber-nerd or gay.