Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
gaijinalways
Dungeon Master

Default Keldorn turns rogue

I was a bit surprised at Keldorn's actions in my game recently. I have my main character as a monk, Minsc, Jaheira, Jan, and Edwin. We were in the mind slayer area of the underdark (the eastern caves) and were about 1/3 of the way to getting to the elder brain. I rested my party, and after awakening Keldorn starts a conversation about the path I'm on, etc. and I answered that my path hadn't changed or something like that. Next thing I know, Keldorn is red highlighted and attacking my party. I of course, kicked his butt, but was left to wonder as this was the first time this had happened to me.

Now one thing of note, I know that Keldorn is an Inquisitor, a special kind of Paladin, and so I wonder if reputation had anything to do with his change of heart as we we had been at a reputation of seven since we left the city (it was 12, but in one battle in the city I accidentally killed a spectator). I could have of course raised it before leaving (actually forgot to do so), but didn't think so much about it.

I searched through the archives, but I didn't see any thing addressing this situation directly.

Anyone else have Keldorn go rogue?
gaijinalways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
Carnifex

Default Re: Keldorn turns rogue

I'm sure I read something about Keldorn attacking if your reputation sinks too low. I can't say anything from experience because I've never had a low reputation, but it does sound like something he would do.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:30 AM   #3
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion

Paladins are partisan paragons of purity, piety, and perhaps puritanical principles, passionately pining for perfection- problematic for pernicious parties.

They may follow a leader, but first and foremost they follow their code. They are obligated to stamp out evil wherever they may find it- is it surprising that he turned against you if he felt you were on the wrong path?

Off of the top of my head, I count no less than three instances when he'll flip out and attack you... but there may be more.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.

Last edited by Illumina Drathiran'ar; 05-10-2008 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Pedantry!
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Keldorn probably felt that YOU were the one that "went rogue" !!

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
gaijinalways
Dungeon Master

Tongue Out Re: Keldorn turns rogue

That's probably true that I am bit of a rogue (wait, me or the character I am playing?), though I forget if he was with me when I kept challenging the cowled wizards!
Old 05-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
gaijinalways
Dungeon Master

Oh, of course the ironic thing was that my reputation went up to 8 after killing the elder brain and releasing the party that was stranded there!
Old 05-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #7
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Happy Re: Keldorn turns rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar View Post
Paladins are partisan paragons of purity, piety, and perhaps puritanical principles, passionately pining for perfection- problematic for pernicious parties.
That's some astoundingly apt alliteration. Made me smile.

@Gaijinalways
On the topic of Keldorn going slightly off the planet and pushing the prudency of his paladinly postulations, you should definitely check out how he reacts to having Viconia in the party. It really struck me as quite extreme at the time, but hilariously so in a neutral, darkly ironic way. But I loved Viconia too much to really keep him for too long after that incident...

There was a thread awhile ago (I'll have to dig it up for the nostalgia) where ironworkers discussed this as potentially showing Keldorn guilty of quasi-racist beliefs. It was a fun thread and I remember trawling through other forums looking for similar incidents and possible reasons to explain his reaction apart from the obvious 'drow r teh evil' explanations.

So when else in the game does Keldorn seemingly pontificate pompously and push his paladinly puritanical premises too far? It's got me curious now.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Last edited by CerebroDragon; 05-10-2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: stoopid emoticons wouldn't work...plus more details
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #8
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebroDragon View Post
That's some astoundingly apt alliteration. Made me smile.

@Gaijinalways
On the topic of Keldorn going slightly off the planet and pushing the prudency of his paladinly postulations, you should definitely check out how he reacts to having Viconia in the party. It really struck me as quite extreme at the time, but hilariously so in a neutral, darkly ironic way. But I loved Viconia too much to really keep him for too long after that incident...

There was a thread awhile ago (I'll have to dig it up for the nostalgia) where ironworkers discussed this as potentially showing Keldorn guilty of quasi-racist beliefs. It was a fun thread and I remember trawling through other forums looking for similar incidents and possible reasons to explain his reaction apart from the obvious 'drow r teh evil' explanations.

So when else in the game does Keldorn seemingly pontificate pompously and push his paladinly puritanical premises too far? It's got me curious now.
I aim to please

I don't want to give it away, but there's an... encounter... shortly after the Underdark. And if you choose to react violently, Keldorn will take action to stop you (while Jahiera will just leave).

And I still say he's racist.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:54 AM   #9
Shadow Stranger

In official AD&D rules: a Paladin will not tolerate anyone who commits evil acts. If you really want a Paladin you should keep your reputation as high as you can, 13+ to keep a Good character happy.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:37 AM   #10
Froberg
The Magister

Indeed Shadow, but that's not really roleplaying