Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2001, 07:42 PM   #71
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
I'm in the land of Southern Baptists. Quite a bunch they are. Last summer a very good friend of mine died. Good ole Brother Bruce scolded Dave (the deceased) and us (his friends). It was at least 95 degrees and he rambled on forever about how we were doomed, Daves in Hell( he actually said that),and tried to gain converts. Finally I had to pretend I was back in bootcamp and just put my mind in neutral. Nobody made a scene but it was close. Yes quite an experience that asshole gave us.
Lord Of Alcohol, I'm sorry that happened to you and your friends. Please don't judge the Lord by some of his followers. There is a heaven and hell, as to who will be where, that is a decesion for the Lord of Lords to make.(way above my pay scale )

Old 04-09-2001, 07:45 PM   #72
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Lord of Alcohol: What a jerk! I'm so sorry you had to go through that, and while mourning for your friend, too. How can a person call themself a "Man of God" and then treat human beings as filth. Especially someone who had just passed on. Well, never matter. He'll get his someday. I'm glad you were able to make it through that.

Stealthy: of course I got the joke! Hehe, I've made similar jokes about people here. It's too bad about the ribbing you got. Over here everyone ribs everyone else about just about everything in school. I fairly hated my early school days and was thrilled to get out of there. I have my 20th class reunion coming up and I'm still not decided as to whether I'll attend or not. I mean, why would I want to go see people that I haven't seen in 10 years, had no major contact with for over 20 years, and didn't really like in the first place? Except to look down my nose at them, and I'm not that kind of person that does that. So I probably won't go after all.

On the up side: Americans actually do like the British; at least those around my part of the world do. It's the accent, I think. Or maybe we all still have "monarch envy". It would certainly account for why the US is so enamored with the British Royalty and following every story about them.

Old 04-09-2001, 07:58 PM   #73
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Sorry John if your Southern Baptist, I know not all Baptists are that way. But many go to extremes to force their way on others. I should not have lumped everyone into one category, i.e.-zealots. So if I have inadvertently offended anyone I'm sorry
Old 04-09-2001, 08:06 PM   #74
Stealthy

Sazerac
Quote:
On the up side: Americans actually do like the British; at least those around my part of the world do. It's the accent, I think. Or maybe we all still have "monarch envy". It would certainly account for why the US is so enamored with the British Royalty and following every story about them
If you want them, you can have them as most people here are turning against them slowly but surely. Personally I like tradition and I think Americans are envious of our heritage, more so than the Royalty, as the USA is a much newer nation in comparison. I love the fact that we can still see structures from centuries ago and even older and trace our roots so far back. I am amazed how many american tourists claim links back to Britain. The whole country must have emigrated over on the Mayflower!

I am glad Americans started to realise the native american indian is an imporatnt part of your heritage, as they always seemed to get a raw deal in your mainstream culture. As for my school life, after a few years it changed. If I had let them though, things would have been very different. What I did find unusual was that the jews were the worst offenders, as they seem to dislike catholics in general, despite the fact I have never practised. I would have thought the Holocaust would have made them more understanding of bigotry, but a group of kids were terrible until I was forced to deck one. Believe me it was a last resort as I am not violent. Luckily it didn't tarnish my viewpoint and I am not anti-jew, in fact I dated an orthodox girl, much to her grandparents disgust.

------------------

My doctor told me to eat more, but all this spam hasn't helped.

Click here for the album site.

Shadow Mage of the OHF.

Funny Bone of the LH
Old 04-09-2001, 08:26 PM   #75
Stealthy

Well I am off now, it's late here. I really enjoyed this chat, so thanks to all of you, especially Ziroc for starting it! I hope my comments didn't offend anyone, as they are just my opinion, however wrong and not meant to cause offence. Take care and until tomorrow.

Must dash...

------------------

My doctor told me to eat more, but all this spam hasn't helped.

Click here for the album site.

Shadow Mage of the OHF.

Funny Bone of the LH
Old 04-09-2001, 08:40 PM   #76
Epona
Zartan

I've never come across anti-D&D sentiments of a religious nature. As Stealthy said, if you mention you play you're likely to get a strange look if you're over the age of 13, but other than that, no problems.

I don't know that many people who are Christians either, but those I have met have always been tolerant, rational, unzealous people. I respect people's beliefs in the same way I expect others to respect my atheism, and I try to judge people by their actions, not their religion.
Just as a matter of interest, my immediate family are all pagan and are also tolerant, rational, unzealous people! I think it has more to do with individual people than what creed you follow. A lot of terrible things are done in the name of religion - but the link with religion is to try and justify or popularise those actions - which are almost always politically, not religiously, motivated.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas and The Ladies Guild.

[This message has been edited by Epona (edited 04-09-2001).]
Old 04-09-2001, 09:21 PM   #77
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Lord of Alcohol,
You did not offend me ,I'm a christian, in fact since you are in the south. You might freek if you know the name that was on the front of the building that I choose to worship in. There are followers of God in all of the denominations or sects of the christian faith. I am sorry that you had to indure something like that. Do not worry about offending me, I have learned that my toes can't get stepped on if they are where they are suppose to be. If they do get stepped on, well I need to move them.
Old 04-09-2001, 09:37 PM   #78
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Ok John, you just never know who you offend sometimes the way things are today lol. Ok you,ve piqued my interest, whats the name of your building? No I wont freek lol. I'm true neutral with with good and chaotic tendencies as per the test! Live and Let live and leave me alone is my motto!
Old 04-09-2001, 09:46 PM   #79
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Stealthy:
Sazerac If you want them, you can have them as most people here are turning against them slowly but surely. Personally I like tradition and I think Americans are envious of our heritage, more so than the Royalty, as the USA is a much newer nation in comparison. I love the fact that we can still see structures from centuries ago and even older and trace our roots so far back. I am amazed how many american tourists claim links back to Britain. The whole country must have emigrated over on the Mayflower!

I am glad Americans started to realise the native american indian is an imporatnt part of your heritage, as they always seemed to get a raw deal in your mainstream culture. As for my school life, after a few years it changed. If I had let them though, things would have been very different. What I did find unusual was that the jews were the worst offenders, as they seem to dislike catholics in general, despite the fact I have never practised. I would have thought the Holocaust would have made them more understanding of bigotry, but a group of kids were terrible until I was forced to deck one. Believe me it was a last resort as I am not violent. Luckily it didn't tarnish my viewpoint and I am not anti-jew, in fact I dated an orthodox girl, much to her grandparents disgust.

Nah, Stealthy, it is the CUTE accent! Hi, Epona!

------------------
Proprietor of The Moon's Hope Inn
Conspirator...Um, I mean, member of the Ladies Guild
Smitten by The.Relic

Old 04-09-2001, 09:50 PM   #80
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Lord of Alcohol,
The name is the Church of Christ, I would rather it be the church of Christ (with Christ capitalized not church) after all i'm supossed to be there to worship Him.