Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2001, 03:19 PM   #51
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
Moridin, I may be talking out of turn, but I don't think you need to worry about CloudBringer misinterpreting your meaning. She has a pretty high degree of empathy and understanding and seemingly an open enough mind to accept other people as they are.
On the other hand, she's such a sweetie that you'd hate to hurt her unintentionally. I seem to be running off at the keyboard today....
Unfortunately when writing it is hard to display emotions (even with all of those smiley's ) and that is what I am trying to say. I hope that I don't hurt anyone unintentionally or intentionally, b/c that is never my goal!

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 04-09-2001, 03:22 PM   #52
Absynthe

Moridin, sometimes I wish that we could meet face-to-face with the people on this forum. There can be so much lost in translation, so many chances to misinterpret someones meaning.... oh well, I guess it's better than not being able to communicate at all.

Old 04-09-2001, 04:14 PM   #53
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
CB--I hope you know that I truly respect you and only think good things about you! I respect your opinions and beliefs and absolutely never intend to harm you or show any disrespect in any of my posts. I think the reason I choose to use your examples is b/c you do post the most often and therefore examples that use you as the source will be the most 'understandable' to other people reading them.

You are kind, sweet, and very generous and I hope that you will not look upon me as an 'evil' person b/c of some of my posts

Moridin

I was teasing...you know...long and lingering so you'd have time to do all that confessing and penitence...LOL!

You grumble about me and my posting a lot, dear Moridin, but I know you don't mean to hurt my feelings intentionally. So don't worry about it, ok?! I smile when I see you mention my name...usually means I'm gonna have to tease you a bit!

How could I be offended by the first true convert I made to the world of spamming?! uh oh...that means I fibbed, YOU CAUGHT ME....I DO run around coverting people to my nefarious beliefs...in SPAMMING!!!! HAHAHHAHAHA.... er..is a posse coming for me now?

Cloudy

------------------

Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 04-09-2001, 04:39 PM   #54
Absynthe

See Moridin? She's just such a sweetie....

Old 04-09-2001, 04:43 PM   #55
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Of course she is! Cloudy's the reason I and a lot of the W&W'ers are here in the first place!

Actually, I'm impressed that we have enough broad-minded people here from a variety of faiths that can discuss such a topic without it descending to flame-war. Of course, I would imagine that radicals would tend to veer away from these types of boards by their very nature...

Old 04-09-2001, 04:55 PM   #56
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Of course she is! Cloudy's the reason I and a lot of the W&W'ers are here in the first place!

Actually, I'm impressed that we have enough broad-minded people here from a variety of faiths that can discuss such a topic without it descending to flame-war. Of course, I would imagine that radicals would tend to veer away from these types of boards by their very nature...

Boys, you are making me three shades of red, here!
Yes, Saz, I think you are right about the radicals not bothering with this board...they wouldn't last a day if they flamed anyone.

Of course I am a radical when it comes to communicating..so what if we are (look the other way, Moridin ) OFF topic?! We still share something and that is valuable all by itself! TEEHEE

Noticed you posting in the W &W forum, Saz. Now all of you have me planning to buy that game....and check out others. Somebody pleeeeeeease cast that Time Stop spell on my office? LOL

Absynthe, if I had a fan club, you would be president after today's very nice observations and comments.

I LOVE THIS FORUM, Ziroc! and where is my CHOC in full profile? I can't remember that code!

Cloudy

------------------

Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 04-09-2001, 04:55 PM   #57
Absynthe

Sazerac, I think you have a point there, and it points out the conundrum of the open minded.
People who tend towards fantasy/role-playing usually are a bit brighter than most, as it takes a nimble mind to hold multiple realities together, let alone the mundane one that we are used to dealing with, and the juggling of those multiple realities tends to broaden ones perspective.
Now, the folks who most need to open up and experience some different things for perspectives sake are also the least likely to do so because of the perceived threat to their reality.
I would venture that the demographics of this board tend to support my theory....it would really be interesting to see a sample of IQ tests for the posters here, as I'm betting we'd see a lot of 95th percentile and higher folks.
And yeah, it is nice to be able to discuss such a potentially flammable topic with no-one getting injured. That's why i like this board. (Thanks Ziroc!)

Old 04-09-2001, 05:09 PM   #58
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

OFF TOPIC:

Cloudy: Buy it! Buy it! (Wizards and Warriors) Nearly 16,000 posts can't be wrong! Well, some of those are problems, but most people do like the game. I've yet to see a game that didn't have problems.

ON TOPIC: Absynthe, you're right; we're pretty much "preaching to the choir" here. I can come up with 3 generalizations about RPG'ers in general, from 20 years of gaming:

1. They come from all ages, genders, races, and all walks of life
  2. They tend to be better educated and have above-average intelligence
  3. They tend to be highly creative, artistic, and/or demonstrate above-average talents in several different fields.

Those who oppose gaming on the basis of it "being of the Devil" or some other religious-based reason tend to be less educated, more indoctrinated in fanatical/abusive religious thought, and less creative or imaginative.

These are just general trends I have noticed, and should not be taken to be causative; i.e., just because someone is religious, one musn't immediately think that the person will be against role-playing games. I've known a few clergy that are role-players, including one catholic priest who was a good friend of mine when I lived in Louisiana (still is, but I don't get to see him as much).

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 04-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 04-09-2001).]
Old 04-09-2001, 05:16 PM   #59
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
They also will not allow my nephew to read the Harry Potter books b/c of the witchcraft and wizardry. But how ironic is it that they allowed him to see the DnD movie?
Well, a lot of people are going to hell then, those Harry Potter books are still a best seller

And for that, uhm.. 'D&D' (if ya call it that) movie... they let him see it because they KNEW it sucked. hehe.. I HATED it. The one cool part was seeing the Beholder for a few seconds! What burned me was the stupid thief.. no thief would live past age 18 theiving like that. lol.. more of a comedy!

Ziroc

Old 04-09-2001, 05:17 PM   #60
Absynthe

You hit it on the head, Sazerac. One thing that people in general tend to lose sight of is that no-one is a creed, or a race, or a religion. We are all individuals and no generalization will ever apply to an individual, and of course vice versa. Nice thing about this forum is the respect shown for individuals as opposed to being lumped into various groups and treated accordingly.
And for W&W, bought it, patched it, love it! Actually, it was the reason I found this forum in the first place.