Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2001, 05:44 PM   #1
Northraven
Manshoon

Alright, I have started a new game with a thief character. can anybody give me some tips on how stealing works and how to be good at it? Is it really possible to steal say the Robe of Good Archmagi or some equally powerful (and expensive) item?
Old 07-13-2001, 05:51 PM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Personally, I'd say best character for thieving is a Bard. Yes, you can steal powerful items, just you have to be well skilled in Pick Pocketing. I think Stealth has something to do with it too. First off, you can click on the mask that you usually use to disarm traps and open locks, and put it over a character (merchant, ect.). That is one way of stealing. The other way is to talk to those who sell you goods, and click on the 'Steal' button. It looks like the ordinary 'Buy/Sell' screen, except there is no buy/sell. You choose the item you want, and click steal (or whatever the button is). Some items are in red, meaning you can't steal them or possibly you can't carry them.
Old 07-13-2001, 05:51 PM   #3
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

Yes you can steal some pretty awesome stuff including suits of armour etc. You need to assign points to your pickpocketing skill to steal from shops etc. You can use various potions such as Master Thievery or perception etc to increase your chances. You can also use and equip items such as the Gloves of Pickpocketing to increase your base score. dexterity is the most important attribute for thieving and removing your armour will assist in thieving. generally I've found that with a pp skill of around 165 - 170 you can pretty much steal from any shop without trouble. Bernard in the Copper Coronet is a notable exception, I've had 250 in pp and still been regularly caught by him. Thieving from thieves can also be a risky business. There is always a 1% chance that you will be caught regardless of your pp skill.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.
Old 07-13-2001, 05:54 PM   #4
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanobyte:
Personally, I'd say best character for thieving is a Bard.
Sorry but the best character for thieving is a thief.

Bards can only have a max pp skill of 120 anyway and you need to be real high level to attain that naturally (without potions etc).

If the item is in red you can still steal it but your character can't use it. Stealth has nothing to do with a thiefs ability to steal.

------------------
Man, that's a pisser.

[This message has been edited by Cavern Sniffer (edited 07-13-2001).]
Old 07-13-2001, 05:55 PM   #5
Nanobyte

Well, I haven't played either in BG2 yet, but the Bard (so far) is the best.
Old 07-13-2001, 05:58 PM   #6
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

I played a Bard and I thought it was a crap character...sorry. Only level 6 spells as max, poor thieving abilities and poor fighting abilities. I'd rather play a barmaid with a teatowel than another Bard.

------------------
Man, that's a pisser.
Old 07-13-2001, 06:08 PM   #7
Nanobyte

Heh. I'm not saying the Bard is the best character.. Hehe. Just saying that when I played one in BG1 he had excellent pp skills.
Old 07-13-2001, 09:10 PM   #8
Northraven
Manshoon

Thanks for the info guys. And if you haven't already you should check out my answer to the whole missle weapon damage question of yours, Cavern Sniffer.
Old 07-13-2001, 09:48 PM   #9
Skydracgrrl
Silver Dragon

Oy! DON'T diss the bards! I'm currently playing a blade bard, and it's pretty good, besides the fact that i can't wear pretty much any armor without disabling my spells.... anyone know some protective gear my character can wear? It's armor level is at 8!!! that's REALLY bad.... -_-;;

------------------
Quote:
What power would Hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of Heaven?
My Website!
Old 07-13-2001, 09:55 PM   #10
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

well, the bladeslinger chain from the end is absolutely terrific, but im guessing your looking for something a bit more immediate. the Melodic Chain acquired from the Astral Prison is just one step down, and can be used only by bards.

------------------
Proud member of the HADB. And remember, when you're thinking of giant heads, why not think of the Big Giant Head?