Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 09:55 AM   #51
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by lost prophet:
I think i know the battle you are talking about...

That new camping spot your talking about, is that the enterance to the church where the idol is? ...
~
~minor spoilers throughout the following~
~

It is the fight with Shitaka (or whatever) the Fire Salamander King. (Shouldn't that be "gourmet mushroom king?")

Yes, you got the camping spot correct. Although, I went out and immediately back in the west door and it did not repopulate. The skellies I killed were the same ones I thought I had eventually killed after coming through the SE door. Maybe the party needs to travel through several zones. I will continue testing...

Well, I haven't been everywhere in LDD, this time through (still need to visit Malavon and a certain Fire Maiden); but I am almost done, and am beginning to think I missed something. Someone please "spoil" me and tell me where that packet of seeds is.

Is there any way to get XP out of Ginafae, other than taking her advice and letting Marketh off the hook? I got the badge without killing him, and went back afterwards and tried to get more XP for telling her that Marketh was safely gone; but no joy. Is there nothing here to be had, or did I make a mistake in dialogue choices? The party didn't call her "drow scum" or anything like that, but they did at one time say that they couldn't guarantee Marketh's survival.

Thanks.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:58 AM   #52
Aerich
Lord Ao

The only problem with using the Boneguards to camp is that it is late in the game when the XP (and an extra level) isn't as important. Conversely, DE lvl 3 is far earlier in the game, and going from lvl 6 to lvl 7 is more significant than going from lvl 11 to lvl 12.

Major Quest Spoilers
The seeds are on Malavon's table.

iirc, you have two opportunities to get XP from Ginafae. First, when you tell her you will/have let Marketh leave, and second, after you kill Malavon and give her the magic-blocking potion to free her.

I thought you did get XP for letting Marketh go somewhere along the line, but it could be when you talk to her first, or after you let Marketh leave.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:27 PM   #53
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
The only problem with using the Boneguards to camp is that it is late in the game... going from lvl 6 to lvl 7 is more significant than going from lvl 11 to lvl 12.
~
~spoilers below~
~

Thanks, Aerich!

Yeah, using Boneguards presumes that you have gotten that far. DE3 is the most useful leveling spot for IWD-only game. But I *do* want to get a little extra XP (250K * 6 = 1,500K, to be exact) to go from CLVL 11 to 12 or CLVL 12 to 13; and 1500K /(4K * 9) = 40 fights sounds a lot nicer than 1500K /(1.4K *5) = 210 fights.

That explains the seeds, since I haven't seen Malavon yet.

Ooooooo, *THAT'S* what that potion is for! Duh. ~Slaps self on forehead.~

I got no XP for the initial talk with Ginafae: Picked the "maybe" option first; and so she said she had nothing more to say. Then I tried again (NOT from a previous save) with the "O.K., I'll spare him" option: no XP. Listened to her sad story of why she couldn't escape. I then got immediate XP upstairs, for letting Marketh go. Back to Ginafae: No XP options; but I think I had the potions in the potion bag by then. I will bust the magic blocker out of the bag and into inventory and see if that gives another option.

I had forgotten how important that sack of spuds is.

Is there any benefit/disadvantage to killing or not killing the cook? I let him live.

Do the Shades called forth by the Bard's "Viol of the Hollow Men" NOT steal XP for their kills, (unlike the Berserkers)? And are they decent fighters with decent HP? If so, I think I'll buy: All this gold is burning a hole in my pocket, even though I know there is more to buy in HoW.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 11-02-2005, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
Old 11-02-2005, 10:41 PM   #54
Aerich
Lord Ao

If you don't kill the cook, he raises the alarm. iirc, it's not a big deal if you've already killed everything on the level. I can't remember if he warns anybody on the second level or not, but I don't think so. I usually kill him.

I can't answer about the summoned shadows - I've never had one kill anything. They are decent for decoy/meatshield purposes only, IMO, although I haven't used them a lot. Normal shadows aren't very tough, and I don't think these are any different. However, that's one less summoning spell to memorize. If you have the gold and the inventory space, go right ahead.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:50 PM   #55
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

From my expierence with a solo bard, using the berserkers ALOT, they didn't steal any XP at all.

Neither did the summoned shadows, come to think of it.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:06 AM   #56
ister
Drow Warrior

Well I used the berserkers extensively and I never got any XP for their kills. I have HOW installed, I was on hard difficulty and used the from Temple of the Forgotten God onwards. I never received any XP for enemies that they killed.
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:48 AM   #57
lost prophet
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by NobleNick:
I had forgotten how important that sack of spuds is.
yeh i forgot the spuds as well, i hadnt played IWD in about 1 1/2 years so i had no idea at all how to help thoughs who are hungry. In the end after much head banging i chated and went to gamebanshee to help me.

The boneguards sound like a good idea if you can verify the exact travelling needed for them to respawn. Its a pain having to go back to DE3 to get that last level before you regain your class plus, its a change of scenerery )(considering i spent about 11 hours in DE3 lol.

Good luck against Malavon, i just waited till his endless buff supply was depleted then meleed him for a 3 hit KO. But that was a bit cheesy since he's not just gonna sit there for like 15 minutes while theres is enemies in his house...
Old 11-03-2005, 12:55 PM   #58
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
If you don't kill the cook, he raises the alarm... I can't answer about the summoned shadows - I've never had one kill anything.
Thanks, again, Aerich. only had one of the "F" brothers to go, and was wondering why he was an enemy right off the bat, with no dialogue options. Now I know: should have croaked the cook.

I bought the magic blocker, but twas too late: Had already messed up the Ginafae dialogue beyond repair. What a bummer: **NO** XP at all from this girl out of 2 opportunities! I can see how folks roleplaying evil parties would have to work extra hard to get XP. How much did I miss?

I went through a few zones and revisited the west door to the Boneguards; but... they were not there. I was sure this area re-populated at least once; but now am thinking I might have entered the Twilight Zone: will try the SE door again before giving up.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
Old 11-03-2005, 06:58 PM   #59
Aerich
Lord Ao

The xp from Ginafae is significant. A couple hundred thousand, maybe. I don't remember the exact amount.

Did you remember to use the portrait from the gnome in the garden?

I always thought you had to rest before the boneguards spawned.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:51 PM   #60
NobleNick
Quintesson

AAaaauuuggghhh!! That's a lot of XP! And I have done enough adventuring since then that I don't know if I want to go back and redo the conversation.

Yes, I had Marketh's portrait with me when I talked with Ginafae: didn't seem to do any good.

In games past I have done really cheesy/cheaty stuff like export the entire group and then run them one at a time through the quest rewards. This time through I have been playing like a straight arrow (only used Dalekeeper once: to correct a wrong choice I made during character roll). But I think my XP karma is catching up to me. Oh well, that's only an extra 140 Cold Wights or 50 Boneguards I need to camp; and with this party that ought to take about 20 minutes if I do it before the DC.

Thanks for the data point on the Boneguards. I hope to be able to check things out this weekend.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 11-04-2005, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]