Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2004, 06:22 AM   #1
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I have recently installed SoA and ToB on my backup PC (because my primary one was in the shop). For some reason, it would NOT let me do a Full Install, even though I have plenty of space on my HD. It would run until the install was about 60-61% complete, then I kept getting an error when it tried to install some of the movie files. This happened 3 times in a row. Finally, I just did the Recommended Install and the game works fine. However, SoA will NOT run off of ToB CD under Recommended. When I choose to play SoA instead of ToB, I have to insert SoA CD2 for the game to play.

I didn't care too much since this was my backup PC (I got it for my boys) and I was getting the HD, processer and a DVD drive upgraded in my main machine. Yet, when I got it back from the shop and tried to Re-Install BGII, I had the exact same problem!!! - and my upgraded machine has a 120gb HD!! (I had to re-install the game because there was no way for the installed games to be copied from the old HD to the new one - but they DID create a file and saved all of my SAVED games from the old system).

So, if anybody can tell me WHY neither machine will allow me to do a Full Install, I would appreciate it. I would really like to have BGII Fully Installed on BOTH PC's if I can get it to work.

[ 06-14-2004, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Cerek the Barbaric ]
Old 06-14-2004, 10:28 AM   #2
TyranyuZ

Man Cerek, you have like loads of problems lately

Anyways my advice to you would be just to reformate whole PC.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:07 AM   #3
Mystique
The Magister

I had this exact problem. And the source is probably a scratch in CD4. You either have to get a new Cd, or just drive it from Reccomended install. That is what i did
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 12:00 PM   #4
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by TyranyuZ:
Man Cerek, you have like loads of problems lately

Anyways my advice to you would be just to reformate whole PC.
Ain't that the truth! But then again, I've not had any problems for the last two years while other members were having to replace entire systems, so I guess I was due.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:02 PM   #5
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by Mystique:
I had this exact problem. And the source is probably a scratch in CD4. You either have to get a new Cd, or just drive it from Reccomended install. That is what i did
That's what I figured too, Mystique. Since the same problem occurred on both machines, I figure the problem had to be with the CD's and not the PC's. Fortunately, I think I DO have a back-up copy of BGII, so I will Un-Install and then Re-Install using that one and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:28 PM   #6
masteraleph
Elminster

Incidentally, some of the the movies are shared across cds. If you can figure out what files there are problems with, and there are duplicates, then you can always run a recommended install and then force it into a full one.
masteraleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:17 AM   #7
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by masteraleph:
Incidentally, some of the the movies are shared across cds. If you can figure out what files there are problems with, and there are duplicates, then you can always run a recommended install and then force it into a full one.
{sigh} I'm afraid my CD2 is just completely buggered. The last time I tried to play a game on my backup PC, the game never started. I opened the game with my ToB CD, then had to insert CD2 when I chose Shadows of Amn. The game never started because the drive apparantly couldn't read the CD. So I Un-Installed yesterday and cleaned ALL the CD's thoroughly. I noticed that CD2 had lots of minor scratches on it that I couldn't rub off. I then tried to do a Full install (failed) followed by a Recommended install (which also failed). I'm afraid my CD2 is simply beyond repair. [img]graemlins/verysad.gif[/img]

The really aggravating part is that I haven't been played the game in several months, and just recently got the "bug" to play it again. I had started several different games to try different classes and kits and was just starting to enjoy the game again. Now it looks like I'll be shopping on ebay before I can continue playing anymore.

Oh yeah - one last thing - I must have given away the backup I made of the game to a friend of mine who was having problems with HIS game. I had recently purchased a new copy of all the disks off ebay at that time, so I didn't think I needed my backups anymore. Guess it's back to the auction block for another copy of the game.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:35 AM   #8
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Whenever I have problems with my disks I will copy the contents of the disk ( all 4 ) to the hard drive then install from the Hard drive. Just name each of the folders CD 1 CD 2 etc then when the install asks for them direct it to the folder.

Hope that helps
Old 06-15-2004, 08:16 AM   #9
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by T-D-C:
Whenever I have problems with my disks I will copy the contents of the disk ( all 4 ) to the hard drive then install from the Hard drive. Just name each of the folders CD 1 CD 2 etc then when the install asks for them direct it to the folder.

Hope that helps
Thanks for the advice, T-D-C. I'll give that a try. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2004, 04:08 PM   #10
Cerek the Barbaric

It's a moot point now anyway. I just won an ebay auction for another copy of BGII. I had bid on it before you posted the tip about copying mine to the harddrive.

Oh well. At least now I know I will soon have Full Installments on both PCs. [img]graemlins/yippee.gif[/img]