Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2001, 09:18 PM   #1
Ziroc

Totally awesome movie, the attack itself was sad, made me mad, and I felt sick.. (not sick sick, but you know...)

It's one of those movies you'll never forget, if you get a chance, go see it.. After you watch it, you'll look at older people with a new sense of respect. It must have been hell..

Just needed to say that..

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 05-25-2001, 09:23 PM   #2
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

It was pretty uncool being bombed in Britain too... But I forgot... only America had anything to do with WW2, lol!

------------------

Old 05-25-2001, 09:24 PM   #3
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Hey, Z!!!

Quick question about the movie : I heard that it was 30 min of action and 2 hours of "Near....Far..... WHEREVER you are....." Ya know, Titanic-like...

Is is a "chick-flick", or will a single guy enjoy it? *man, I know I'm gonna get clobbered for the non-PC remark*

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Pfil
Old 05-25-2001, 09:52 PM   #4
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Glad to hear it's a good movie. I plan on going to see it. My son's high school marching band has been selected to go to Hawaii in November to represent the USS Tennessee for the 60th anniversary parade in Honolulu. It's quite an honor and they are doing some fundraising to help pay for the cost of the trip.

------------------

Seeker of Truth
Old 05-25-2001, 11:12 PM   #5
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

I will deefinitely have to see it. A friend of mines father was a signalman on the USS Oklahoma on the day of the attack. He told me that he was sitting on his bunk reading the newspaper when the attack started he was wearing nothing but his skivies and his wristwatch. He hurriedly threw on shirt pants and shoes and ran up top. He spent a couple hours signalling other ships in the area with orders sent down by the captain. When the fire got out of control he stopped sendig signals and began assisting the fire control teams until the order to abandon ship was given. I remember him telling me that from the time he jumped off his bunk to the time he jumped off the ship 4 hours elapsed. After jumping off the ship he spent the next 8 hours most treading water below the surface putting his arm up swirling the water to create an airpocket, surfacing, inhaling and resubmerging. The flames on the surface were thick. When they pulled him from the water he had nothing on but his wristwatch.

After he was rescued he went on to serve on 3 more ships which got shot out from underneath him.

I have a VERY healthy respect for the men who served and fought in WWII. Most werent as lucky as Mr Donley.

Mr Donley passed away at the age of 78 in August 1999. He was a true gentlemen and would do anything to help anyone in need. Ive never known anyone as kind or giving. Im thanful for having the experience of having him in my life and I know he emade an impact on my development as a teenager.

This may not be the approriate place to talk about this but Im thankful that this is here so the Veterans Of WWII can have their story told. Well one at least. They were real people and they had real lives and families not just characters from a fantasy.

On the lighter more comical side to this my friend Dave who is Mr Donleys son would tell people that his dad was on the Oklahoma on the day of the Attack and poeple would ask him if his dad lived. "Im 38 years old. You do the math. duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

Gwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha. That always cracked me up.

------------------
IS THE PIZZA HERE YET????
WANNA PASS ME A BEER??? THANKS!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Earthdog (edited 05-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Earthdog (edited 05-25-2001).]
Old 05-26-2001, 12:10 AM   #6
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
It was pretty uncool being bombed in Britain too... But I forgot... only America had anything to do with WW2, lol!
That part was shown too (but briefly) . We waited way to long to help Europe IMO. ALL sides kicked some butt.

Ziroc

Old 05-26-2001, 12:13 AM   #7
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by RudeDawg:
Hey, Z!!!

Quick question about the movie : I heard that it was 30 min of action and 2 hours of "Near....Far..... WHEREVER you are....." Ya know, Titanic-like...

Is is a "chick-flick", or will a single guy enjoy it? *man, I know I'm gonna get clobbered for the non-PC remark*

Lol, well, their is a 'love story', but it's not as cheezy as the Titanic one.. I seriously went to see the special effects, but when I left, the entire movie was excellent not just the effects (I'm into 3D modeling and like that stuff).. It's a better, yet tragic story.. See it, you will like it. It builds up great too.

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 05-26-2001, 03:09 AM   #8
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Avalon:
Glad to hear it's a good movie. I plan on going to see it. My son's high school marching band has been selected to go to Hawaii in November to represent the USS Tennessee for the 60th anniversary parade in Honolulu. It's quite an honor and they are doing some fundraising to help pay for the cost of the trip.

that's cool lady avalon, what school does he go to? i was in smyrna high's marching band

------------------

Lord of the Screen Shot
Get My IronWorks Winamp skin
Old 05-26-2001, 03:35 AM   #9
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Not a SPOILER but a critique!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
The last thing I want to do is ruin anyone's good time.

The other last thing I want to do is offend the memory of those who gave their lives in the service of there country.

I saw this movie.

This film seemed not to acknowledge history or at least give it a nod. (Is this nit-picking? If it is I apologize.)

The setting and events that this movie centers around demand only the utmost of artistic vision and filmography (is this a word?), expertise in film crafting and direction that I feel director Michael Bay just did not have the vision or experience to carry out.

This banal movie does not do history justice.

I apologise for the fact that I am a critic.

This reply is absolutly 100% IMHO.

I would never want to irritate those that enjoyed this movie or those that are going to see it.

IMHO the scripting was severly lacking.

IMHO effects don't make the movie.

IMHO a good story makes the movie!

Please believe, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade.
Old 05-26-2001, 03:41 AM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by RudeDawg:
Hey, Z!!!

Hehehe.. ok RudeDawg: *CLOBBER* Btw, I suffered, yes SUFFERED through Titanic because my stepmom smuggled the darned thing into my house when she and dad visited. Dad got to snooze through the last interminable hour...I had to play hostess and stay awake! ugh.... Now before someone tells me how great it was...sigh.. I'm not trashing the whole thing...but it was too long and too schmalzy even for RomanticCloud!

I have heard that the effects in Pearl Harbor are supposed to be very good. Glad to hear the rest of the movie is good too, Z!

Cloudy

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever