Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 11:45 AM   #1
Firim Silraven
Dungeon Master

I've recently recorded a song with a great latin vibe, like Enrique Iglesias' 'Bailamos' and similar songs. I'd love to do a spanish language version to tie in with the music, but I don't speak spanish. I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to come up with a translated version for me? I'd be very grateful and of course you'd be fully credited if it gets recorded. You can hear the song at http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/be...nger_music.htm , it's called Addiction. Here's the lyrics:

ADDICTION
by Ben Messenger

V1
The light glances off your hair
From the setting sun
And I can tell from the look in your eyes
The night has just begun

You know what's in my dreams
And how to make it exist
Something tells me it's all wrong
But I just can't resist

CHORUS
Addiction - I've got you under my skin
Addiction - I don't know where to begin, to get over you
Addiction - You've got my mind in a spin
Addiction - Is obsession a sin?

V2
They've told me that the devil's a woman
And they just might be right
You're tempting, taunting, seducing me
In my dreams every night

I find myself waiting for you
Powerless to refuse
When you come the sparks of passion fly
And they light my fuse

RPT CHORUS

Copyright 2005 Benjamin Messenger

[ 06-25-2005, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Firim Silraven ]
Old 06-25-2005, 11:53 AM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

There is one problem that is presented when doing the task you asked for. Sometimes, the meaning can be lost if translated into another language, especially to get the words to carry rhyme. Some things can not be literally translated because the meaning does not carry significance over, and sometimes one has to find an alternative way to say what is meant. Since you do not speak Spanish...the problem is that you could not fully understand the changes that would have to go into the translation and therefore not be able to determine if your heart's intention is being carried over in the manner that you want. A good translation is done by somebody whose heart understands the song's meaning and can relay that same feeling in not just another language but another phrasing.

I have done this before, but for songs that were off the radio and the people I did it for did not care how the translation came out...as long as they could understand the meaning of the words. If this is your "baby", I would be afraid that I would lose that specialness that you hold valuable if you were not able to verify that I caught your "art" in the words. Does that explain the difficulty in what you ask?

Edit: I just noticed you are from UK...so I have to mention something else. I speak "Mexican" Spanish, but the people that heard your Spanish translation would most likely be from Spain. The Spanish is different over there...because Spaniards have a more "accurate to textbook" language than do Mexicans. If I were to translate it...Hispanics would enjoy it better than Spaniards.

[ 06-25-2005, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 06-25-2005, 12:15 PM   #3
Firim Silraven
Dungeon Master

Yes, I think I understand what you're saying. I know it couldn't be translated exactly word for word. Not only would meanings be confused but the phrasing might become difficult. I should maybe have mentioned that!

I get what you mean, I wouldn't be able to check the new meaning of the lyrics unless they were literally translated back into english. I just thought it would be nice to have a spanish version of the song, as I love listening to spanish language music and would like to try and sing a spanish version of one of my own songs.

But I didn't realise that the language was slightly different in the different countries. I don't know what it is i've listened to - whatever Shakira, JD Natasha, Enrique Iglesias and Ricky Martin sing in! I guess it's like the difference in British English and American English?

[ 06-25-2005, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Firim Silraven ]
Old 06-25-2005, 10:08 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Even more of a difference in my opinion.

Hey...I'll give it a look-over and see if I can sample you a few lines and we'll go from there. Give me a day or so. I am busy with other things, among them two children.