Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2001, 11:19 AM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

People may know Randy from the song "Short People", he did the song for the movie "Major League". He is known for the satire and sarcasm in his lyrics. There was a song on his 1972 album "Sail Away" that goes overboard on being the biggest and the toughest. Here are the lyrics of the song "Political Science":

Political Science

No one likes us-I don't know why
We may not be perfect, but heaven knows we try
But all around, even our old friends put us down
Let's drop the big one and see what happens

We give them money-but are they grateful?
No, they're spiteful and they're hateful
They don't respect us-so let's surprise them
We'll drop the big one and pulverize them

Asia's crowded and Europe's too old
Africa is far too hot
And Canada's too cold
And South America stole our name
Let's drop the big one
There'll be no one left to blame us

We'll save Australia
Don't wanna hurt no kangaroo
We'll build an All American amusement park there
They got surfin', too

Boom goes London and boom Paree
More room for you and more room for me
And every city the whole world round
Will just be another American town
Oh, how peaceful it will be
We'll set everybody free
You'll wear a Japanese kimono
And there'll be Italian shoes for me

They all hate us anyhow
So let's drop the big one now
Let's drop the big one now

Any thoughts?

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 12:16 PM   #2
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
People may know Randy from the song "Short People", he did the song for the movie "Major League". He is known for the satire and sarcasm in his lyrics. There was a song on his 1972 album "Sail Away" that goes overboard on being the biggest and the toughest. Here are the lyrics of the song "Political Science":

Political Science

No one likes us-I don't know why
We may not be perfect, but heaven knows we try
But all around, even our old friends put us down
Let's drop the big one and see what happens

We give them money-but are they grateful?
No, they're spiteful and they're hateful
They don't respect us-so let's surprise them
We'll drop the big one and pulverize them

I think that the above 2 paragraphs represents well the state of things and how other perceive the US.

Now, he asked why no one like them. I will tell you. Yes, USA does give money; yes, USA does help many country around the world. But you see, what USA doesn't do is allow others to be free. It's always the USA way or no way. No middle ground. You're on one side of the fence and they're on the other.

If the USA wants to be liked around the world, it only has to apply the very basis of its foundations to it's external relations. Let people engage in what they believe and you will be much better received than if you impose your will.

Please don't take this as a anti-US post. Rather, I'm just your friend from the North who just wants to help you out.

Cheers.

------------------
I'm the Wanderer without a clan... I bring justice without favorism. Though you may not agree with it, my judgement is final... and inconsequential
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 08:18 AM   #3
Garnet

Why do I keep finding myself returning to this forum?!?

Skywalker, I love the post--seemed to have missed the song, tho. Unusual for one who loves music the way I do....

Ryanamur, I would agree with you to a point (did you expect any less from me?)

I agree that America tends to stick their nose in altogether too many situations better left alone. But at the same time, it seems as if that's what is expected of us as a nation. The world seems to turn to the US as a 'big brother' called in to make sure the little kids don't squabble and when they do, break it up. And if somebody's hungry, we get to feed them. If somebody needs a new toy (i.e. weapons), guess who gets a phone call and is expected to give new presents or at least the money to buy them?

No body likes their big brother all the time, especially when told to play nice or else!

(Over-simplification seems to be the order of the day for me...sorry)

Garnet

[This message has been edited by Garnet (edited 10-19-2001).]