Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2004, 07:30 AM   #1
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

I have

PC, a sorcerer
Minsc
Jaheira
Yoshimo
Jan
and Valygar.

I need a cleric. I was kinda thinking of Aerie (there are never enough mage spells) or that paladin-guy in the coronet, but I seem to have filled all slots. I won't leave Minsc, Jan is the best thief, I like Valygar (reminds me of Kivan), Yoshimo is... well, Yoshimo and Jaheira is starting to annoy me but has some useful-looking spells. Who shall I leave behind to be killed by starvation and lack of sleep?

I would much appreciate if you didn't post too many spoilers.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:11 AM   #2
Link
Jack Burton

The paladin guy in the Copper Coronot would be Anomen, and he's a good cleric (and decent fighter as well). If I were you I would kick out either Jan or Yoshimo, because you have two thieves at is now. It's up to you who to pick though.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 09:00 AM   #3
Double D
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'd ditch yoshimo, thief/mage is better than a pure thief imo.

DD
Old 12-11-2004, 10:04 AM   #4
Magness
Quintesson

Also, Jan Jansen is solid at handling traps and locks. I won't debate which is better, a thief/mage or a pure thief. Let's just say that I think that Jan is a very solid team member, particularly early in the game, due to his solid traps and locks skills. And his magic doesn't hurt either.

IG, you can usually win with most any combo. With your PC Sorceror and if you keep Jan, you will be set for arcane spellcasting. I think that you are lacking in solid cleric skills. So, I'd go pick up Anomen and give Yoshimo the heave-ho. Anomen can be a big jerk, but he's an excellent fighting cleric. Over the long haul, he will end up with a great array of cleric spells and will be great addition to your party.

It will also give your party a really good balance. Two arcane spellcasters (PC and Jan). Two divine spellcasters (Anomen and Jahiera). One thief (Jan). Four tanks (Minsc, Valygar, Jahiera, Anomen).

Gook luck!
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 10:22 AM   #5
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

SPOILER
Dump Yoshimo, he betrays you in Spellhold anyway, so you will eventually lose him. Also, Aerie is VERY powerfull used correctly. People on this board say she can take out a dragon single-handed, although I personnally have never tried it.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 11:15 AM   #6
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

I know, I played to the spellhold with my other (evil) sorcerer. Then I restarted. Mainly because I started missing all the stuff I left at the evil lair of Irenicus.

What should I do if I want to pick Imoen later? She's a bad thief, a low level mage and as far as I've played she and I have a lot of boring talky thingies. But I'd feel kinda guilty for just dumping her right after letting her get abducted by cowlies.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:04 PM   #7
Riftmaker
Elminster

Heh, Imoen = best GOOD NPC mage you can get. Besides, she gains levels REAL fast after Spellhold.

She has all the thief skills you'll need in SoA. If you want to pick up Imoen, ditch Jan now, and simply swap Yoshi for her when you get there.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:15 PM   #8
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

If I recall correctly most of her thief skill points are pooled in detect traps. I'm gonna miss picking pockets... If all else fails I'll just ditch Valygar after the Planar Sphere. In which case I'm gonna miss longbows...
Old 12-11-2004, 03:28 PM   #9
Magness
Quintesson

IG, I think that Imeon is the 2nd best good NPC mage (Nalia is better, since she has fewer thief levels).

The decision about how to get Imoen back in your party depends in style, how quickly you want to rescue Imoen, etc.

I liked having Jan in my party for a while early on, since he is solid in Open Locks and Find Traps. But I would dump him prior to heading to Brynnlaw to rescue Imeon to make a slot for her.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 04:04 PM   #10
JayS
Dungeon Master

Anomen is a great choice for a cleric. He can fight very effectively with a boost to his dex, gain levels only in cleric as he is a dual, and the fighter-->cleric is one of the most powerful combinations in the game.

slight spoilers
-
-
-
-
-
-
In my old game with a monk, Anomen, Jaheria, Imoen, Jan, and Valygar, Anomen destroyed Improved Bodhi in Ch3 with no damage taken, and he crushed the Avatar of Sekolah in the Sahuagin city in 4 rounds.
JayS is offline   Reply With Quote