Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2008, 11:56 PM   #1
manikus
Jack Burton

Question Mark FRUA

Does anyone here still play FRUA designs? I was thinking about collaborations and read some stuff in the FRUA grouplist about community collaborations where one person starts a design and does one level, and then a second person picks up where the first left off and adds a second level, etc, etc.
I don't think it's really practical to do in DC at the moment, but the concept sounds like fun. I was thinking about creating a mod or two in FRUA (just 'cause) and converting some art and what not...

I was just thinking that it might be fun to do a collaboration with folks in this community. Does anyone besides me even have FRUA?

As an aside~ it's kinda fun working with FRUA art again. It's such a challenge to get a good (or even half-decent) picture with a limited pallette and a small size (small pics are only 88x88 and icons are half-sized).
Old 05-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
Funky Dynamite
Zhentarim Guard

Default Re: FRUA

I would, but my old mac's monitor's out and you know how hard is finding the disks and running them on a modern computer...
I =loved= "Heirs of Skull Craig" or whatever it was called.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
manikus
Jack Burton

I lost the disks long ago...lol But, I've always had it installed since I bought it oh-so-many years ago. I just move it from machine to machine.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Heirs of Skull's Crag, as it felt so linear, even more so than Secrets of the Silver Blades (which is saying something), but it was creative and motivated me to start work on my first mod, which was something about helping dwarves harvest mushrooms in a dangerous underground cavern.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Uatu
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

What is Heirs of Skull Crag?

My Blog:
http://advanceddantiansanddragons.blogspot.com
Uatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
manikus
Jack Burton

Heirs to Skull's Crag (or maybe 'of') is the default design that shipped with FRUA. It was a pretty straight-forward adventure that was supposed to show off the engine's capabilities, but didn't really use that many different kinds of events.

It's on my short list of FRUA mods to import into DC, just b/c it is the one mod that every FRUAite has.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
Jadefang
Dungeon Master

I wanted to make an "unofficial parody" sequel to Heirs to Skull Crag a long time ago, where the party is presumed to have left Skull Crag after completing a game for awhile, only to return to find that Sir Dutiocs, Dazmilar, Yemandra (who became a blackguard), and Kallithrea (who became a Banite) became evil tyrants and took over the keep and town, and were mobilizing an army to take over the world. It didn't get very far, though.
Jadefang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #7
manikus
Jack Burton

You would have to throw in some vorpal bunnies to truly make it a masterpiece.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #8
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

I would like to not only work on FRUA projects, but mebbe convert them to DC as well. My only holdup is I have to get FRUA from an abandoned software site as my original FRUA install disks became corrupted. I still have them and the manuals and box, but the 3rd (and last) disk has an error during decompression.

I also had the original version 1.0 which had the morale bug (unless you had a paladin and the NPCs in your party were under the paladin's and therefore your control, htey would flee from EVERY combat). and there was a bug fix for this last time I looked into it.

ST
ps, just out of curiosity, do you need DOSBox to play FRUA?
Old 05-06-2008, 09:44 PM   #9
manikus
Jack Burton

Hey ST
I don't use dosbox, but I do run it in UAShell. (I don't know if that slows it down or not.)

Here's a link you might want to check out.
http://www.icestorm9999.com/frua.html
Old 05-11-2008, 03:50 PM   #10
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

Wow, I checked out the list of the classic RPGs on this site, and it is impressive. The list even has the Buck Rogers games that use a version of the Goldbox engine. The thing is, the FRUA engine didn't allow for (space-) ship to ship combat.

What I would like to do is figure out a way to make seabound ship to ship combat

ST
ps, I am interested in hearing the sounds and music to get an idea of how FRUA did music. IIRC, they had sound FX and small orchestral ditties (for a lack of better term) that were for dramatic effect, as well as longer background music; but I cannot remember how any of the sounds/music go.