Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2003, 01:39 AM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Just wondering how good/useful/convenient this browser is compared to IE. It's supposed to be able to stop non-essential pop-ups.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:41 AM   #2
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

I had it. Found it frustrating and uninstalled it. I know some people like it simply for the fact that its not a Microsoft product but I found it really annoying. Had to get rid of it.

I wouldnt want to dissuade anyone from trying it. To each his own, as they say.
Give it a go and if you dont like it, remove it.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:16 AM   #3
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

I installed IE 6.0.2 and also Mozilla 1.1. Although Mozilla isn't exactly Netscape but the feeling is quite close, which is:

Pros:
1. The page tabs - good for viewing multi-page topics, for example game reviews.

2. Speed - somehow the pages seems to load faster compared to IE.

3. Microsoft factor - Let's face it, I don't like M$ very much and using another product which comes from the rival of M$ feels kind of good.

cons:
1. Browser integration - I am using Logitech mouse and the webwheel refuse to function property in Mozilla.

2. Click - I have used to the "click" sound response of the IE and since Mozilla do not support that, each time I click on the link feels kind of "artificial" or something...very hard to explain the feeling.

3. Compatiblity - A lot of websites are tailored to IE and some of the contents don't show up properly in Mozilla.

[ 01-12-2003, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 01-12-2003, 07:30 AM   #4
Lavindathar
Harper

Stick with Microsoft on this, I.E is far better than all competition!
Old 01-12-2003, 10:03 AM   #5
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
Stick with Microsoft on this, I.E is far better than all competition!
Bollocks! I use Mozilla 1.2 and it can do anything I.E. 6 can do and a whole lot more. The only problem is that IE comes with many plugins already integrated and with Mozilla you have to get them seperatly. That is why some pages seem to work properly only in IE. But Mozilla should find the right plugins for you as you need them and after a while you'll have all the plugins you need. The xtra features of Mozilla are much better, such as the password manager and javascript console helping you to develop javascript sites.
The mouse wheel works fine on my mouse. So whoever can't get it to work, get the proper drivers and there's a mousewheel tab in Mozilla Preferences.

In case anyone is wondering Mozilla is from the same people who make Netscape but it's updated much more frequently. They work on it every day and there is a new build available every night so bugs are fixed every day!

Besides, the huge bonus of it not being from Microsoft has got to be worth it. I never dislike a company for the simple reason that they are big but having read all the things I've read about Microsoft products I hate them. They're scum.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-12-2003, 10:08 AM   #6
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

The biggest reason that IE seems to work best is that IE supports microsoft's broken HTML.

All microsoft tools (eg, FrontPage) emit broken HTML, stuff that violates the HTML standards. IE will read the broken markup, but other browsers won't. Since a lot of HTML authors use microsoft software, IE would seem to be the most compatible when in fact the opposite is true.

Yet another case of Micro$haft hijacking the standards to enhance their own bank account.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:17 AM   #7
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
The biggest reason that IE seems to work best is that IE supports microsoft's broken HTML.

All microsoft tools (eg, FrontPage) emit broken HTML, stuff that violates the HTML standards. IE will read the broken markup, but other browsers won't. Since a lot of HTML authors use microsoft software, IE would seem to be the most compatible when in fact the opposite is true.

Yet another case of Micro$haft hijacking the standards to enhance their own bank account.
How true. Sir K. I'm beginning to like you.
Personally I use Notepad or Dreamweaver. LOL have you seen the crap emitted by Word when creating HTML pages for example?
Old 01-12-2003, 01:20 PM   #8
andrewas
Harper

Only M$ product Ill let emit HTML is notepad.

But Netscape 7.0 is crap. First up its integrated with AIM the same way IE is integrated with MSN - but the integration is far more intrusive in netscape.

And it is *very* slow, much slower that IE. And its not very stable either. The only feature I liked about it was its "view source", which is far better than IEs. But IE's can be fixed.

Some of the problems I had could possibly be explained because I was running it on a very slow system - but IE ran well on it, so that dosent excuse netscapes problems.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:41 PM   #9
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Only M$ product Ill let emit HTML is notepad.

But Netscape 7.0 is crap. First up its integrated with AIM the same way IE is integrated with MSN - but the integration is far more intrusive in netscape.

And it is *very* slow, much slower that IE. And its not very stable either. The only feature I liked about it was its "view source", which is far better than IEs. But IE's can be fixed.

Some of the problems I had could possibly be explained because I was running it on a very slow system - but IE ran well on it, so that dosent excuse netscapes problems.
Really? I never noticed that AIM integration though I only used netscape 7 for a few days. I can't see the AIM integration in Mozilla either, if it's there?
Old 01-12-2003, 02:44 PM   #10
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
How true. Sir K. I'm beginning to like you.
Personally I use Notepad or Dreamweaver. LOL have you seen the crap emitted by Word when creating HTML pages for example?
I tend to use Notepad as well, I find I have better control over the look of the page. Netscape Composer is ok for preliminary setup, but gets in the way as the code gets more complex.

I mostly use composer to fixup bad html thats crept into my tables, but I usually have to fixup some of the stuff (like counter code) afterwards, so I try to avoid it.

EDIT> andrewas: I don't particularly care for NS6, haven't tried NS7 but I do like Mozilla 1.2 - you've *got* to admit bugs get squashed a lot faster with it than any Microsoft software....

[ 01-12-2003, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Sir Krustin ]