Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2002, 12:23 AM   #1
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Here i show you a damn "SPAM" that i get because of the "Spyware" from diffrent programs like KaZaa GRRRRRRRRRRR! it pops up from "nowhere" when i are on the net god i hate it!!! Sorry that the pic is so big but it is because you should could read what it says!!
Will we se more of this in the future? that you will be bombaded with thingies
like this all the time? here it is the pic i took when i browsed the messages here on IW.

Old 11-15-2002, 12:26 AM   #2
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Hey how did I get on a spam thread. I agree with you they get a little much some time. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2002, 02:05 AM   #3
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

That is just too funny.. get university diplomas for doing nothing. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Ridiculous. What do we get next? "Get a free ticket to next moonflight by buying this multi-purpose teeth stick?"
Old 11-15-2002, 06:17 AM   #4
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Ad-Aware will help. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2002, 06:29 AM   #5
Neuromancer
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
Ad-Aware will help. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Not with this kind of spam, it wont. This is an exploit of open port 139 used by MicroSoft messenger service (not to be confused with MSN messenger) which is enabled by default with NT/2000/XP WinOS. Spammers get your ip with a IP scanner/sniffer and then use Net Send to spam you.
Best thing to do would be to disable Messenger Service if you don't need it (most people w/o network don't - and with network only sysadmins do)

Neuro
Old 11-15-2002, 09:00 AM   #6
WillowIX
Apophis

Wouldn´t a popup killer do the job then? Nut Megabot, if you hate spam then what or you doing on IW? And especially on the GD board. There´s nothing but [img]graemlins/spam2.gif[/img] in here [img]tongue.gif[/img] . Well almosy anyways...
Old 11-15-2002, 09:06 AM   #7
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
Wouldn´t a popup killer do the job then? Nut Megabot, if you hate spam then what or you doing on IW? And especially on the GD board. There´s nothing but [img]graemlins/spam2.gif[/img] in here [img]tongue.gif[/img] . Well almosy anyways...
Nope. Firewall set to close port 139 will though.
Old 11-15-2002, 09:14 AM   #8
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Perhaps this programme might be a help. I have a "lite" free version and use it to block pop-ups.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 11-15-2002, 09:21 AM   #9
Neuromancer
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
Perhaps this programme might be a help. I have a "lite" free version and use it to block pop-ups.
It would, if this would be a classical pupup - but it isn't. Its OS built-in messenger service.
Disabling it or closing port 139 (like andrewas suggested) if you have access to your firewall function in the only way, i think.

Neuro
Old 11-15-2002, 09:30 AM   #10
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Neuromancer:
quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
It would, if this would be a classical pupup - but it isn't. Its OS built-in messenger service.
Disabling it or closing port 139 (like andrewas suggested) if you have access to your firewall function in the only way, i think.

Neuro
[/QUOTE]It looks to be like TweakUI is - therefore it will probably allow you to disable the windows messenger service. I woud recommend against doing that though - it is primarily used to communicate across networks (I use it so virus scanners can alert me anywhere, cuts down on response times) but it is also used locally in some cases. Closing port 139 is the best bet. zonealarm (I do not remember the link, use google) would be a good palce to start with that.