Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2002, 03:29 AM   #21
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
You have to remember ours is the hardest language in the world to learn if you are not raised speaking it and uss makes a point...Americans over the age of 16 should know how to spell. Not everyone is familiar with ain't and 'cause and whatnot so some of us probably come across as pretty strange to those unfamiliar with our slang too. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Language shouldn't be an argument (unless you are spelling Britain or British for Donut's sake lol)
Excuse me, but I think that english isn´t the most difficult language to learn. I guess it all depends from where you come from and by what language you speak natively.

Japanese is much harder for example europeans to learn then english. Mandarin Kantoneese etc comes to mind..'

Just a side note

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 08-23-2002, 03:35 AM   #22
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
I guess it all depends from where you come from and by what language you speak natively.
This is true and not only have I already been corrected, but I have corrected myself as well

Old 08-23-2002, 03:44 AM   #23
WOLFGIR

Well, I think that since we are in the mood for bashing, I will take an opportunity here to missspellling sommme vords for ya.

erhmm

I hate Americans (some).
I hate them(sometimes) cause so many live to fr away from me!! BUHÄÄÄÄ
I hate them(not so much, I am a realist) because they can´t tow their continent closer to us so I could visit all the friends I have made their! There are plenty of people I would really really like to have vodka parties with, go out for a beer, collect some scritches from , sit and talk to, give a honest friendly good wolfiehug just because I like them. Comming to think of it, some of theese people I know only as a pseudonym hiding somewhere over there..

I would want to be able to visit them, see US and the great nature they have, go to Jellystone park hehe, visit the Ghostbear island... *sigh*
Damn, you have a big country that is great in some aspects, some really great people. Unfortunately you have some flaws as well, but comming from a country that has less people then NY, well.. I can understand it, since I hardly like all the Swedes around..

And if I could get away with it, I would really really like to kick some butts in the Microsoft office developing team..

(Wolfie getting bloody tired of bashing and spelling and grammer. Most of my spellings is because I never proofread my posts for spelling and I type very fast.)

Old 08-23-2002, 03:47 AM   #24
WOLFGIR

Quote:
quote:
I guess it all depends from where you come from and by what language you speak natively.
This is true and not only have I already been corrected, but I have corrected myself as well [/QUOTE]Hehe, self improvement is a worthy course of living!

Old 08-23-2002, 04:08 AM   #25
Moni

Quote:
quote:
quote:
This is true and not only have I already been corrected, but I have corrected myself as well [/QUOTE]Hehe, self improvement is a worthy course of living! [/QUOTE]True. So are numerous other things.
Next time I will remember to use the words "One of the hardest...depending on where you are from"
I suppose I was speaking from a mindset that preceded English becoming the/an (take your pick lol) international language too. It wasn't when I was (much) younger.
It seems to be almost common these days no matter where you go.
(and I do expect someone to correct me if I am wrong...its only right!)

Old 08-23-2002, 09:19 AM   #26
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Saz did ask for some clarification. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Why all of a sudden is uss not allowed to dislike America or Americans (whichever he meant)? No one else seems to be getting such a hard time for it and last I heard, everyone was entitled to their own opinion.
Moni,

Having an opinion is one thing....how you express it is another. Saz did ask for clarification...he also pointed out that the original post was done in an "insensitive" manner.

Nobody here is going to "trash" another member because they have a different opinion. But when the other member attacks the person rather than the conceptual belief, value, moral, or country of residence - THEN they're going to take some heat.

It reminds me a lot of a thread Aviendha posted a couple of months ago. He had a habit of telling anyone that believed in God, or held strong religious beliefs, that they were "weak minded". It was not meant as an insult on his part, but it obviously was very "chaffing" to those of us who do beleive. Aviendha then made the same statement face-to-face to a close personal friend of his. While the friend didn't say anything, Ben could instantly see the hurt on his friends face and realized how painful his "idle remark" had been. This led him to Post a formal apology to the IronWorks members too. All of us told him that his apology was accepted, but not really necessary. We knew hadn't meant to be harmful.

Then....suddenly.....several atheists "jumped in" and started saying "DON'T APOLOGIZE FOR YOUR BELIEFS. DON'T CAVE IN TO THEIR PRESSURE!" They didn't realize that Ben wasn't apologizing for the beliefs he held...just the manner in which he had expressed them.

To be quite honost, this entire thread (and especially the preceding one) really got under my skin. We have a moratorium imposed on Religious discussion because some members can't participate without resorting to flaming, but it is apparantly OK to start a thread that is blantantly designed to be a "bashing thread" from the opening post. Seems like a "double standard" to me.

[ 08-23-2002, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Cerek the Barbaric ]
Old 08-23-2002, 09:52 AM   #27
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
To be quite honost, this entire thread (and especially the preceding one) really got under my skin. We have a moratorium imposed on Religious discussion because some members can't participate without resorting to flaming, but it is apparantly OK to start a thread that is blantantly designed to be a "bashing thread" from the opening post. Seems like a "double standard" to me.
I have yet to see in both of these threads, Cerek, anything that remotely comes close to the level of vitriol and flaming that occurred in the least of the Religion threads. We had members threatening to leave over those. That, AFAICT, is why Ziroc imposed the moratorium.

Trust me, I, Memnoch, and Mouse are carefully monitoring these threads. I find your "double standard" comment to be rather offensive. Personally, I don't give a flying flip about what you guys discuss here, as long as it's done in a semi-civilized fashion and not like a bunch of rhinoceri on crack. Religion, politics, what-have-you; as long as you keep it within forum guidelines and remember to argue the point, not the person, we allow that to remain up.

I'm not in a position to say, but I think the moratorium was (a) a suggestion rather than a mandate and (b) enough time has passed that we can try out religious discussions again on a tentative basis. Bear in mind that if more antagonistic postings and vitriolic attacks on forum members occur again, the moratorium can be reinstated. I will posit this to Ziroc in the Webmasters forum and see what he thinks.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 08-23-2002, 09:59 AM   #28
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Actually...let me amend my prior statement.

When I said I didn't give a flying flip about what you guys talked about, that's true, personally. But as a mod, I will make sure that topics are within forum guidelines. Therefore, I and the other mods will quash any thread related to sexual discussions, pirating software, and other "illegal" topics here on Ironworks.

Just a clarification.

-Saz
Old 08-23-2002, 10:48 AM   #29
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
...like a bunch of rhinoceri on crack.
-Sazerac[/QB]
Thanks for the visual, Saz. You made my whole month with that! LMAO

Old 08-23-2002, 10:50 AM   #30
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I've added my agreement to your request, Saz. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now, if everyone will keep discussion civil, we'll have a very good and interesting time on the forum! Let's avoid the flame and feud fests, though!

Cloudy