Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2002, 02:51 PM   #1
Mystira
Welcomed New User

So I've got my characters all hovering around lvls 11-13, getting set to go to Umar Hills for first time since doing my Paladin quests. Just got Celestial Fury, and I'm thinking get that to Valygar, and with him dual wielding CF along w/the other stick he's already got, it's on. Already got five folks in the mix, and really don't want a sixth man - A) already very strong at five, and 2) I like levels happening faster. I might let Mazzy get on board once I get to her, but I dunno. So, do you guys think Valy w/CF is worth it considering what I've already got, and if so, who's gone?

Here's what I've got -

Me (PC) Inquis w/Carsomyer, crossbow +2 and assorted good longswords
Minsc w/Lilocor +3 (sp?), Heartseeker +3, dual axes (Azurage/Frostreaven), FOA
Anomen w/Mace +2 and his spells
Nalia, primary mage w/bow +3 that short sword you can haste with, and spells
Jan Jansen, helps w/spells, and w/that pixie knife thing and his gun

I've engaged the romance with Anomen, don't know if dropping him even temporarily would be bad (don't wanna know either), really can't lose my mage, and prob need Jan to pop traps and give support fire. So I guess it seems obvious to dump Minsc, since it'd be a front line fighter traded for a front line fighter that way. Is Valy generally better than Minsc powerwise, if not as humorous? I guess I'll find out tonight. The Shadow Dragon dies either way on this quest, this group's auto-winned about everything so far as-is, but it seems like Valy with two good blades might be good fun to try.

But let's hear what you all have to say about it, just in case I've missed something. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:57 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the Ironworks Forums. Just a little tidbit. Mazzy and Valgar will interact with each other.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 03:06 PM   #3
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

well if you pick up Mazzy you have a choice, melee or ranged. Mazzy is one of the most effective archers in the game. She has high dexerity and 5 profiecencies in one of the bows. I wouldn't get rid of Anomen cause he's your only healer. Jan is the best thief and can be a powerful mage. Nalia is useless as a thief but a pretty good mage. I'm not sure spliting xp 5 ways will help all that much compared to 6 ways. Do you have Tob?
Old 12-27-2002, 03:39 PM   #4
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hello, Mystira, and WELCOME TO IRONWORKS!

I faced this same dilemma on my first trip through BGII. I accidentally killed Minsc in BGI with my character....so when I Imported to BGII, I really felt no loyalty to keep him. I was leaving him in the party just long enough to head for Umar Hills and get Valygar. I swapped them out and was fairly happy with the trade. Valygar is just as skilled a fighter as Minsc (although his Strength is a little less). The only problem I had was that I could never get Valygar's BackStab to work. I realize now there that ability is somewhat "bugged" and there is a patch to fix it.

Anyway, when I got ready to leave for Spellhold, I traded Valygar for Minsc again because your party is automatically admitted into Spellhold if you have Minsc (for obvious reasons). During that dungeon, I started "playing around" with Minsc using Shadowkeeper. I had given him Crom Fraeyr earlier, then I got the idea to "cheat" in a second Hammer of T-bolts and change Minsc's proficiency's to the max number of slots allowed in warhammer.

Needless to say, Minsc suddenly became a Human Tank without peer and started "BUTT KICKING FOR GOOOOOODNESSSSS" on everything that stood in our way. After doing that, I had no desire to retrieve Valygar (poor guy is still waiting for me to show back up at the Coppor Coronet).

Of course, these same "tweaks" could be done to Valygar and he would be every bit as powerful. But if you're just dealing with the standard versions....I would say that Valygar is an even trade for Minsc.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:53 PM   #5
Mystira
Welcomed New User

I'm not sure spliting xp 5 ways will help all that much compared to 6 ways. Do you have Tob?[/QB][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replies so far, folks.

In response to above, yes I've got TOB installed, I've yet to open Chapter 4 on SOA at this point (not entered Bodhi's Dungeon yet). And yeah, I've wondered just how much of a "boost" five versus six really is, as expansive as the game gets.

So right now, I think I'm leaning towards keeping things like they are in the party, maybe take Valy back to town at the end just to get in the Planar Sphere.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:40 PM   #6
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Near the end of ToB, 6 chars will be maxed out completely, so dont worry.

Personally, I started a 6-player-self-made-party last week and thought it was cool, until it took so long to level-up that I didn't even know how the level-up sound goes. So I re-created my party to consist of 4 dual-classers. Fast levels, wicked fun and godlike [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2002, 06:47 PM   #7
Alson
Galvatron

Welcome to Ironworks Forums, Mystira! [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img]

In my opinion, and as much as it hurts me to say (write?) this, give Minsc the boot. Valygar is a better fighter than Minsc, especially if you count in the backstabs, and giving him Fury makes it even worse (to Minsc, of course ). Fury is really amazing - it is definitely worth it.
Also, as Dundee pointed out, Valygar and Mazzy share some great moments.

On the other hand, by doing so you're giving up two of the funniest things in the game - Minsc, and Lilacor.

Choices, choices... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Your call.

[ 12-27-2002, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Alson ]
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote