Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2003, 12:41 PM   #1
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Heard their new song? I heard it for the first time last night.

It's not so much the song that grabbed me (it's ok) but the concept of what they are doing.
Reminds me a little of what U2 did with 'All That You Can't Leave Behind'.

They built a massive career out of a consistent sound. Then went and rewrote their rule book, alienating numerous old fans but gaining far more - and keeping up with the times. Now they've inserted the old speed metal back in (no one, no one, plays double kick like Lars Ulrich) while keeping the newer elements and adding something different again.
Much like U2, it's sort of return to their roots, sort of not.

And the thing is, it's sounds now, sounds fresh, yet they're drawing on a style they haven't produced in what? 10 years? (apart from playing the old stuff live I mean)

It'll be interesting to see what the rest of the album sounds like...

Oh, and they are one of the few rock bands who can shoot a video in San Quentin and still look tough...

[ 06-07-2003, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Leonis ]
Old 06-07-2003, 12:52 PM   #2
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

*Yes I'm double posting but it's a different thought*

Last musical thought for the evening...

The best lyric I've heard in a while - In NOFX's 'Franco Un-American' - rhyming with American - "I don't want to be another I Don't Care-ican"

Brilliant.

Thought I'd stick it in this thread just cos it's rock...
Old 06-07-2003, 12:52 PM   #3
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
Heard their new song? I heard it for the first time last night.

It's not so much the song that grabbed me (it's ok) but the concept of what they are doing.
Reminds me a little of what U2 did with 'All That You Can't Leave Behind'.

They built a massive career out of a consistent sound. Then went and rewrote their rule book, alienating numerous old fans but gaining far more - and keeping up with the times. Now they've inserted the old speed metal back in (no one, no one, plays double kick like Lars Ulrich) while keeping the newer elements and adding something different again.
Much like U2, it's sort of return to their roots, sort of not.

And the thing is, it's sounds now, sounds fresh, yet they're drawing on a style they haven't produced in what? 10 years? (apart from playing the old stuff live I mean)

It'll be interesting to see what the rest of the album sounds like...

Oh, and they are one of the few rock bands who can shoot a video in San Quentin and still look tough...
Would love to hear it but probably wont cuz we do not have any real rock stations here and that sucks, the good ones all got shut down because of to much ummm controversy over the music and the talk
Old 06-07-2003, 01:12 PM   #4
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

I'm not impressed by the album yet: but then I've only heard it once, so maybe it'll grow on me.

Oh, and NOFX's 'war on errorism' rocks.
Old 06-07-2003, 04:53 PM   #5
Mojo
Elminster

Now is the time to gloat that I saw Metallica live, about a week ago

They played a surprise set at the Download Fest.

And to answer your question, yes.
Old 06-07-2003, 04:53 PM   #6
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

St.Anger?

I think its awful. And never got too much into the pop-punk stuff so cant really comment on it.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 06-07-2003, 04:59 PM   #7
spydar

haven't heard their new song and, actually, am quite ashamed that I didn't even know they had a new one coming out. what's it called? are they putting out a new cd too??
my all time favorite is still the S&M album, I think the combo of metallica with an orchestra was just brilliant. I absolutely adore that verion of master of puppets
Old 06-07-2003, 05:45 PM   #8
Gammit
Elminster

I think whoever produced St. Anger needs to be taken down by Choc. It has some of the worst mixing I've ever heard, and James sings out of tune for 95% of the song... come on, Metallica, you can do better...
Old 06-07-2003, 06:28 PM   #9
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

So Nu-Metal is "dying" so Metallica decide to try and make Speed-Metal take its place...who cares...

I'm not really fussed because I never really got into Metallica really heavily so I won't miss them but everyone who ive talked to says the album pretty much sucks...
Old 06-08-2003, 01:18 AM   #10
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by FelixJaeger:
So Nu-Metal is "dying" so Metallica decide to try and make Speed-Metal take its place...who cares...

I'm not really fussed because I never really got into Metallica really heavily so I won't miss them but everyone who ive talked to says the album pretty much sucks...
A fair bit off-topic here but I'm wondering, does 'the cloudy town of hellview' that you've listed as your location have anything to do with a lyric from the CKY masterpiece '96 quite bitter beings'? (actually, since CKY are an excellent rock band this question isn't all that off-topic afterall).