Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2003, 04:08 AM   #1
Mirror Image
Manshoon

Well so far he has mopped the floor with me about six times. I have tried everything I can think of. I summon a helmed Horror; I drink Bless, Bull strength, and endurance; I use a +3 weapon (staff or spear); I wear dragon slippers; I wear a golden helm for magic resistance or a Thayian helm for a plus 1 on the saving throw; I have even turned my character into a red dragon. So far I get only to he is near death and then he belts me (that is if I am a dragon, if I am human he just roasts me). I even have on a ring of elemental protection though its of little value when I go lizard.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!!!

Oh and I have Liu with me though by the time she casts her super spell Klauth has cast spell mantle and is completely immune. Any suggestions.
Mirror Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 07:39 AM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I'm in the same boat! But my bard doesn't turn into a dragon or have 'dragon slippers' on. She manages to do a teensy bit of damage to Klaus and then I have to pull her out (her henchman is usually dead by then) and come back after healing up. I managed to get the darned Red Lizard halfway to dead but just can't do any more!

spoiler

spoiler

spoiler

(I used the bad egg on him too!)

[ 12-01-2003, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 12-01-2003, 10:12 AM   #3
Legolas
Jack Burton

If you're not using the bad sphere, try that and then whack him. If you are using the sphere, try doing the fight without it. Im my game, Linu would only cast Harm early on if Klauth was not poisoned.
She basically won the fight for my rogue.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 07:57 PM   #4
Nerull
Lord Ao

Helpful hints:
  1. Use summons if you have them. He'll dispel them, but just summon more. This allows you to sit at range or come around the side on him, in which case you will not be taking damage from him during that (short) time. The less damage you take, the longer you'll last against him.
  2. Buy potions of Heal before you go there. Regular potions can't heal you quick enough. You'll spend the whole time quaffing the other potions instead of attacking him. In fact, by this point sell all of the other healing potions, and use that money to buy nothing but potions of Heal. Unless you are a wizard or sorcerer, of course (then your hp is low enough to use Potions of Cure Critical Wounds).
  3. This is probably one of the (if not the) toughest fight in the game. Don't be afraid to use all of those potions of Barkskin, Bless, Aid, etc. Buff like crazy. Don't forget to buff your henchman, too.
  4. Hit him with everything you have. And pray...
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 12:52 AM   #5
Mirror Image
Manshoon

Its nice to know I'm not in this boat alone. I am surprised cloudbringer doesn't have dragon slippers, they do keep you from getting knocked down, unless you are polymorphed. By the way thats how I turn dragon, a spell scroll. Even my sorcerer is not that high level yet.

I also cast stone skin before the battle on both me and Liu. Maybe the next time I will try and get around behind him so we attack from all sides. It seems that when I go lizard I lose many of my protections other than the ability to take alot of damage and fire resistance. If changing location doesn't work I'll try and iron golem transformation. Or many be I should try Tensers Transformation. As you can tell I have a whole magic bag filled with different spell scrolls.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:25 PM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Nope, no dragon slippers.. but I did use Tensers and it didn't help much! Maybe I'm just not going about it right, sigh.. it's kept me from finishing the original campaign, even though I've done SoU once and am halfway through it twice again! (using two diff class pcs)

Any more ideas for facing Klauth would be appreciated!
Old 12-03-2003, 12:09 AM   #7
Mirror Image
Manshoon

Light Bulb

Well I have two important statements to make. One, I have more dragon blood. Two, the mad monk to the rescue.

I traded Liu for Grim and he just started pummeling old Klauth. Of course I gave him a potion of bulls strength and cast Stone skin on him, strengthened my bat (familiar) and me and even cast stone skin on my helmed horror. All this is done at the point Klauth gets the sphere. I can stop his rant in mid stream and do all this and he just sits there with that puppy dog look on his face.

Any way I have to admit it wasn't perfect. Grim finally fell, but I had one good strike with chain Lightening and then as I ran for the bridge I summoned a second helmed horror. Thats when old Klauth finally went down.

Since I had saved earlier I have since tried Our half Orc. He needs a spells to protect his mind and a few other enforcements. And I will admit that my run for the bridge was not fast enough this time. maybe later I'll try it again with our lady ranger.

Hope this gives you some new ideas
Old 12-12-2003, 08:03 PM   #8
Gung Ho
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am glad to see that it is not just me (or rather my Paladin) that is being brought to his knees.

This fight is hellish. God knows how many Hit points the Klauth Dragon has tucked away. After my first "hit" he is "Near Death". I hit him for what seems like hundreds of HPs and it is me that dies. I have tried about 25 times now - and even changed the "hardness" factor to easy and still I get creamed.

I suppose the problem is that I really do not understand what I am being hit with. You are not able to see factors such as how strong your "Resistance to Fire". Also as a Paladin, I am unaware of what spell (or attack) is being thrown at me. I just lose about 200 Hit Points in Attack 1 and am unable to drink a Heal potion before Attack 2.

Can any of you non-magic users help?
Gung Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 06:54 AM   #9
Stratos
Vampire

Some useful hints...

1. Use the bad sphere. My solo monk killed him without using it but it's easier if you do.
2. If you can, try spells like Finger of Death etc.
3. Buy the Greater Swordsman belt. It gives you 20/- slashing resistance and will help you greatly against Klauth's melee attacks that he will use when he have runned out of everything else.
3. Buy items/use spells that gives you an resistance to fire. Klauth's breath is a nasty one and he's surrounded by an aura of fire.
4. Buy lots of potions of Heal.
5. Pretty obvious, but DON'T attack him with any weapon or spell that is fire based as red dragons are immune to fire. Ice on the other hand...
6. Buff with everything you got. If you don't have spells, use potions and items.

Hope this helps.

Edit: A very cheesy way to defeat him is to lure him close to the (now locked) gate that you entered his room through, use the Stone of Recall, walk all the way back to his lair and shoot him with range weapons and spells. You got him on one side of the gate and yourself on the other so he can't get to you. Once you killed him, the gate will open again. I've only heard about this and never tried it myself, so I don't know if it works. In any case, only for the truly desperate.

[ 12-13-2003, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: Stratos ]