Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2002, 06:43 AM   #1
Grungi
Banned User

okay i went back to that big ole evil demon with a cunning plan forming in my mind, aha i thought as i sent my invisible mage and fighter down to scout about, aha i said as i realised no conversation had begun yet the acolytes stood there begging for my sword, aha i said as i killed all of those out of sight of the woman who begins that conversation topic till there were but two left and her she was sorely weakened by my summoned creatures but yet still could not speak to me through my invisibility, then i ran upstairs and gathered my party together, promptly saving my game with a big grin on my face i went down the stairs, aha i thought foul demon now your going down, the woman approached me but this time i knew i had the edge, thrust, hack, slash and down she went, but something was wrong aec is sitting there in the middle of the summoning circle and then the goddarned game went mental [img]tongue.gif[/img]

basically it started casting a hold spell over and over and over leaving the demon helpless so i hacked him up but

a) no experience for killing him
b) the guy i spoke to about killing him kept saying "go quickly they are beginning the ritual" (doh no they aint cos i slaughtered them all!)

ouch i said so reloaded tried it again figuring maybe i needed the woman to resummon aec so i wouldnt hit her till she was finished, but oh no that didnt work either, now this is what i assume has happened:

the hold spell is cast by the woman, the acolytes are required to feed the demon or somesuch , BUT as i killed the acolytes (or most of them) the demon couldnt fully escape the hold spell so was continually trapped, unfortunately this has screwed with the game who obviously wasnt expecting a strategic masterstroke of this quality and now im basically buggered, no reloads from before i killed the acolytes, soooooooo erm is there anyway of me activating him so he gives me the exp and more importantly registers as being dead? im open to any suggestions as i believe i killed him fairly (used my initiative) so im happy to cheat or hack to complete the quest.

damn demons interfering with my play! [img]smile.gif[/img] after such a heroic story too
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 06:19 PM   #2
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Umm....the way you played it doesn't seem that it should have caused any bugs. If the woman has her normal conversation with you and summons Aec as scripted, the presence or absence of the acolytes should make no difference. I don't know where the Hold is coming from, unless Aec is for some reason casting it on himself.

Try reloading your oldest Save (where's your Auto-Save?) and walking down there with your whole party, nobody invisible.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:36 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

Scripts die if you abuse them too much. I cant see anything you did that should cause any problems, but since I havent looked at that script I dunno.

Killing the others before starting the convo might have done it - I dont know how scripts respond to giving orders to people that should already be dead. Might have screwed something up.

Should you need it, I came up with a cheesy tactic of my own to get rid of aec'letec. Its nothing special, but it works. Its not exactly reliable and exploits 2 bugs.

First, reload the battle till he fails the save on the hold spell he casts on you. Then cast Ottilukes Minor Sphere on him. While hes held it should be 100% reliable. Now, with the demon in the sphere your characters wont turn into ghasts (bug #1) and you should have zero problems with the acolytes.

IF you hurry, you should still have some time left on the sphere after youve finished the acolytes, switch to fists and youll be able to damage aec'letc through the sphere (bug #2). You cant kill him, probably not even knock him unconcious, but you should be able to weaken him enough that when the sphere wears off (and now you , unlike me, remember to re-equip your weapons) you can kill him quickly.

I know this works with the latest official version of TotSC - at the time I hadnt any idea there *was* a mod community. In fact it was months before I found IW. I have know idea if it will work with other versions of TotSC or with any unofficial content.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:28 AM   #4
Grungi
Banned User

yeah but all of that is way too late, i need a way of cheating i think now to put things right, anyone able to help?
Old 11-05-2002, 10:28 AM   #5
purre
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
First, reload the battle till he fails the save on the hold spell he casts on you. Then cast Ottilukes Minor Sphere on him. While hes held it should be 100% reliable. Now, with the demon in the sphere your characters wont turn into ghasts (bug #1) and you should have zero problems with the acolytes.

IF you hurry, you should still have some time left on the sphere after youve finished the acolytes, switch to fists and youll be able to damage aec'letc through the sphere (bug #2). You cant kill him, probably not even knock him unconcious, but you should be able to weaken him enough that when the sphere wears off (and now you , unlike me, remember to re-equip your weapons) you can kill him quickly.

I know this works with the latest official version of TotSC - at the time I hadnt any idea there *was* a mod community. In fact it was months before I found IW. I have know idea if it will work with other versions of TotSC or with any unofficial content.[/QB]
Thanks for telling this tactic,I have had major problems with winning that beast.
purre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 10:40 AM   #6
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

you could always try using CLUA commands to spawn him in, unfortunately i don't know the command needed to do this.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:03 AM   #7
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

"Then cast Ottilukes Minor Sphere on him. While hes held it should be 100% reliable. "

Actually I think it is closer to 50% I went in with two or three and ended up using them all. But if you are lucky it should work on the very first cast.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 11:51 AM   #8
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
"Then cast Ottilukes Minor Sphere on him. While hes held it should be 100% reliable. "

Actually I think it is closer to 50% I went in with two or three and ended up using them all. But if you are lucky it should work on the very first cast.
It is possible for the hold (or whatever it is) that he casts on your party to begin with to affect him as well. Once that happens, Ottilukes resilient sphere (to give it its correct name) will affect him 100% of the time - or so I recall. It was some time ago that I did this.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:54 AM   #9
Grungi
Banned User

well im still hazy on what a clua is (some kind of ingame debugging tool to place objects monsters etc?) but if someone does know what command i need to get this sod to place pls tell me