Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2001, 03:48 PM   #1
mans
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello all! I'm sort of a newbie on IWD although I've been playing BG2 for sometime now and somehow I'm a bit disappointed with IWD as of now (hope you all understand). My biggest disappointment so far is my inability to change the res of the game (I'm stuck with an awkward 620xsomething I think). You see, I've a large monitor (21") and a very capable video card (32mb) so that I'm playing an awkwardly large looking game with large characters. I'm hoping, really really hoping, sombebody could teach me a way to change my resolution to something higher (like 1024xsomething), like the res I use to play BG2. In BG2 the option is easily tinkered in the BG2 config program (which unfortunately is too simplified in the IWD config program). Is there such a way? Looking forward to anybody's response -- good or bad, it fine with me, just want to settle this curiousity straight. Thanks!

------------------
Belief... is halfway into being...
mans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 07:38 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

AFAIK, Mans, the game can't be played in any res other than 640 x 480. Sucky, but that's the limitation. Unless there's a patch that I don't know about, of course.

Please don't give up on the game, though. It's really a worthwhile game, although it's a lot more linear than BG2. (I find the nonlinearity of BG2 rather dizzying and convoluted at times, and I get tired of getting trounced every time I rounded a corner...still playing it, though!)

Cheers,

------------------
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 06:06 AM   #3
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

If you have the IWD expansion installed (Heart of Winter) you can select 800 x 600 resolution. The interface also is made more like that in BG2.
Hayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 01:50 PM   #4
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

yeah, if you wanna play; install HOW and get the upgraded rules (druids better, bards get multiple songs, thieves get sneak attack). although, protection from fire will no longer grant 100% immunity to fire with HOW installed.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 09:54 PM   #5
mans
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, that about clears some issue out. I think I recently just discovered the limitation upon reading one of the read me files or manuals or something like that (kinda really stupid that it's only a few weeks into the game that one gets to actually read them huh?!? Anyways, thanks for the help too. And that's right, I'm finding out too that IWD is rather very linear. Hope I get over my disappointment that it couldn't be more like BG2 (true, dizzying at times, but I'm just about IDOLIZING the game!) I'll still give IWD a runthrough though....

Again, thanks for your replies (and am looking forward to installing the expansion if only to get a higher resolution.)

Ciao!

mans
mans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 02:16 AM   #6
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Another reason to get the expansion, Heart of Winter, is that you can then download and install a free expansion for the expansion. This one's called Trials of the Luremaster (or something like that). It is a *big* download though, at about 73MB.

Also, you get gem bags, potion cases and scroll cases from one of the downloads - can't remember which one though. I just got one of each from Pomab's Emporium.

You will also be able to run IWD at "unsupported" resolutions like 1024x768 or even higher, much like BG2.

[This message has been edited by Hayashi (edited 10-08-2001).]
Hayashi is offline   Reply With Quote