Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2002, 11:52 PM   #1
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Ok, What is happening with the HTML here ?? It seems to be affecting my sig alot if I put HTML in my post [img]graemlins/confused3.gif[/img] My best example of this would to check my post (3rd from the top) here. INcase the link just takes u to page 1: it should be on page 3.
I had a blue text size H1 in a marquee... everything but the marquee seems to be affecting my sig.
I DEFINATELY closed the tags. I mad sure of it before I posted. So can anyone help ?? I am very ermmmmmm.......... Rikard over this (excuse the play on extra screen names).
Old 01-09-2002, 02:41 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

It has to do with your sequencing I think, here goes nothing... ...

I have reduced your message for easier seeing, also, consider leaving spaces periodically in the text. Some browsers do not support the "marquee" tags which results in terribly awful horizontal scroll bars.

The old joke that I original thought up to practice HTML:

BUMP

Land of the Psycho-moe
Old 01-09-2002, 02:45 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Now for the full effect,

quote:
Originally posted by SookmaCook:
The old joke that I original thought up to practice HTML:

BUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYU MPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUPYUMPY UMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUM PYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPY
UMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPUUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUM PYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPY
UMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUM PYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPY UMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUM PYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPY UMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPYUM PYUMPYUMPYUMPYUMPITYUMP

Land of the Psycho-moe
Old 01-09-2002, 03:03 AM   #4
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Could u try that without the quotes ?? I think that a little difference like that may prevent it... i am definately confused with this!!! HTML shouldnt do that...
Old 01-09-2002, 03:06 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Could u try that without the quotes ?? I think that a little difference like that may prevent it... i am definately confused with this!!! HTML shouldnt do that...

Dude, refer to my first post. The only thing that I changed was the text message and the positioning of the tags. I did not add or delete any of the HTML tags, just moved them around so that the layout was logical.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Old 01-09-2002, 03:11 AM   #6
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Ok, What do u mean by sequencing ??
Old 01-09-2002, 03:30 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Ok, What do u mean by sequencing ??

Note, [ = <, likewise , ] = >

You did it like this,
[font color="white"]Text Message[/font][H1][font color="blue"][marquee]Text Message[/H1][/font][/marquee]

There is nothing wrong with the first part, so let's us just remove that for easier seeing, leaving us with the portion that created the error.

[H1][font color="blue"][marquee]Text Message[/H1][/font][/marquee]

Notice? You started with [H1] but you did not end with [H1]. Think of it as an onion, start with one first, then add more layers onto it, giving you something like this,

[H1][font color="blue"][marquee]Text Message[/marquee][/font][/H1]

I added the [marquee] tag first, then the [font tag], and lastly, the [H1] tag.

While it may seem minor, it can create logical errors to the browser who is trying to read the HTML code. As a general rule of thumb, when you start with "a", end with "a". This is not a concrete rule, but it makes for neat and tidy coding, neat and tidy coding is very nice. I like neat and tidy coding, did I emphasise enough on neat and tidy coding?

Besides, neat and tidy coding will help ensure that you do not run into too many bugs.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]

Old 01-09-2002, 03:47 AM   #8
LennonCook
Jack Burton

OK, So i DONT end the tag in the same order that I started them, but in reverse...
OK, I think ive got it now... now ill go edit that post in Saz's Sig Shoppe to make sure it works!!! (i hope it does)
Old 01-09-2002, 03:50 AM   #9
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Yay It worked it worked!!! PARTY!!!!!!!! rinkitup: [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2002, 02:34 PM   #10
Lavindathar
Harper

Just as I was coming to help as well.

Well, I'll show you waht I have managed to do with the HMTL.

http://www.gduk.net