Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2002, 10:27 AM   #61
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Look, I think I'm being taken way too seriously here. The intent was tongue-in-cheek, not foot-in-mouth I assure you. I think my record reflects little to no racism towards Muslims or the fine People of Yemen, our ally in fact. I came off much more abbrasive than was meant.

I meant the part about collateral damage - and stick by it. The rest, Mr. Mems and others, was over-the-top, and I think I have now apologized.

[ 11-05-2002, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 11-05-2002, 10:28 AM   #62
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Amen Attalus.

As for my off-color comment earlier, I must admit I had not fully awoken yet [img]graemlins/1drool.gif[/img] , and was selfishly and gleefully using IWF to help wake me up. At that point, I had merely shown up. [img]graemlins/goodmorning.gif[/img] Now, I'm present.

But, a lot of truth is said in jest.
Not a good enough excuse for me, I'm afraid. You're entitled to your opinion, but that one thoughtless, failure-to-engage-brain-before-typing comment (or maybe you DID engage your brain, since I notice you edited the post but didn't edit out that comment, so you can't have been that half-asleep) destroyed all the respect that you'd built up with me over the last month or so that you've contributed here.

Mate, you don't have to apologize to me - I'm just putting my opinion down (speaking as a fellow forum member, not a mod). [img]smile.gif[/img] Like I said, you're entitled to your 2c, but it's disappointing just the same. All I'm saying is that it will take time to rebuild all that - that's all. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-05-2002, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 11-05-2002, 10:29 AM   #63
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

For instance, if they would know a terrorist was in a car with some people somewhere in the US, I doubt they would blow up the car or shoot them all, because they would be afraid that innocent people would be hurt. But when something like this happens in the Middle East, it's okay for them to blow up the whole car. And that's what I think is wrong... Middle Eastern 'innocents'' lives are just as valuable as American, Swedish, etc.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:33 AM   #64
Legolas
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Everyone has an opinion Legolas. Respect that. As for Human rights? They lost them when they killed 1000's of innocent Men, Women and CHILDREN.
Ziroc, I find it hard to believe every single man in that car, or everyone labled "suspected terrorist" for that matter, killed 1000's of innocents. Even if they had, I'm the kind who likes to see evidence before the missile is launched.
I'm not saying you are wrong to be relieved there are one or more terrorists less to threaten your lives, or those of people you love, because you are not.

I could go on about my own opinion in this, but as you said, everyone has their own and we should respect that. So I do.

All I meant to say with my last post, was that I am surprised by some of the reactions. I may be playing too many computer games, but I thought I spotted a certain bloodlust there which I never expected. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say, as I don't know how to finish without sounding potentially offensive, and I've no desire to be.

I am, however, glad to see that some people just hadn't had their morning coffees yet.

(edited for spellig)

[ 11-05-2002, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Old 11-05-2002, 10:34 AM   #65
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
As for not knowing who is in the car, I have never been in a car with 6 people I did not know. (a bus yes, private car no)
Yes, yes, but let's not generalise. Not everyone knows everyone so well. Not all the time. And I still believe people are innocent untill proven guilty. Sorry, but I do. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2002, 10:35 AM   #66
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

It wasn't coffee - though I like that logo. It was an early-morning attempt to stir the pot, and I used waayy too big a ladle, which is a word I likely spelled incorrectly as well.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:37 AM   #67
Suzaku
Drow Warrior

Well, the predominant additude of superority hasn't gone away entirely, even in a country with emphasis on equality, example being that the self-proclaimed most equal society on earth aka US didn't let females or black people vote until the latter part of this century!

We are all supposed to be human, but paranoia is no excuse to say that some race is threatening to ourself.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:45 AM   #68
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Spelca:
And I still believe people are innocent untill proven guilty. Sorry, but I do. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Does not apply during declared war.

Old 11-05-2002, 10:51 AM   #69
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Spelca:
Sure, this is war, and yes, in war innocents get killed. But wouldn't it be nice to at least try not to kill innocent people? And not have that 'ahh, I don't care how many civilians die, as long as we get one terrorist' attitude? You see, if we have this kind of attitude, then we're not much different than the terrorists. We should try to avoid civilian victims... And sometimes it seems like we don't and that people don't really care.
You know, they didnt just go out and blow up a car, they have been watching these people for a long time, they chose a precise place and time to make the hit, it wasn't spur of the moment, don't you think that the idea of possibly killing innocents was a consideration in the timing? All I see here are people (not you specificly) Jumping to the conclusion that the USA just went out and willy nilly killed six random people. Why are you so ready to condemn and speculate against the US and not the terrorists? Why not call the victims suspected innocents?

[ 11-05-2002, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 11-05-2002, 10:58 AM   #70
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas:
Ziroc, I find it hard to believe every single man in that car, or everyone labled "suspected terrorist" for that matter, killed 1000's of innocents. Even if they had, I'm the kind who likes to see evidence before the missile is launched.

Where do you get the idea that you know more about those guys than the people who targeted them, watched them for months and then launched the missile? You are making a huge judgement that the US decided to just at a whim kill these 6 people. Just because the Intelligence service doesnt lay out a case for you does not mean there isn't one. I am not sure but I don't recall seeing any invites to the national security brief for any one here. Why are you so eager to side with the terrorists and against people who are being paid to make these decisions? And why do you assume a moral superiority to the people manning the weapon?

Im not saying you are worng, Im just wondering why you are so quick to condemn the US rather than say, "oh wow they managed to get 6" .... I realize Mr. Clinton Blowing up an asprin factory could possibly lead to suspicion, but I think that was an abberation (especially since he ignored the advice of his security advisor.)