Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2003, 11:13 AM   #11
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
Terrorist Fractions recruit individuals with no hope in life. Nothing to look forward or work for. The fractions give them a goal in life.

We have to try and create a partnership with these countries. To jump start projects to increase employment.

To say to these people:

Look, if you are willing to work, I will pay you. Then you can afford a car, a house and a family.

Or you can work your head off for some terrorists and end your life as you see fit.
We ARE partner with most of those countries, remember ? We need their oil.

And you're wrong about recruiting individuals with no hope in their lives. They recruit among strongly convinced religeous people AND among university students. The guys who hijacked the planes on Sept 11, were all university students, on overseas schools. You don't think that poor people can afford such an education, do you ? They were from wealthy families, their dads had to pay a small fortune for their studies, so your theory doesn't hold any water.

You're making the same mistake as those researchers who came to the conclusian that footballhooligans come from broken families.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:19 AM   #12
TX_Chris
Dungeon Master

you're talking about Terrorism as something that is easy to get rid of, and what do you mean by "these countries", you can't just stereotype a country for life because some terrorsit group sprung from it.

And it isn't as easy to just give money to a country that needs it, America for instance has it's own economical issues to take care of and in the eyes of the government that comes before financially helping another country . It's all about money, nobody is going to do anything for free and thats the problem with the world today and why terrorism exists.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:31 AM   #13
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
We ARE partner with most of those countries, remember ? We need their oil.

And you're wrong about recruiting individuals with no hope in their lives. They recruit among strongly convinced religeous people AND among university students. The guys who hijacked the planes on Sept 11, were all university students, on overseas schools. You don't think that poor people can afford such an education, do you ? They were from wealthy families, their dads had to pay a small fortune for their studies, so your theory doesn't hold any water.

You're making the same mistake as those researchers who came to the conclusian that footballhooligans come from broken families. [/QB]

And how many 9/11 have we had? Answer = 1

The fact is that you can't avoid fanatics who are well educated and have money. Good thing is they make up 1% of the terrorist population.

Quote:
Originally posted by TX_Chris:
you're talking about Terrorism as something that is easy to get rid of, and what do you mean by "these countries", you can't just stereotype a country for life because some terrorsit group sprung from it.

And it isn't as easy to just give money to a country that needs it, America for instance has it's own economical issues to take care of and in the eyes of the government that comes before financially helping another country . It's all about money, nobody is going to do anything for free and thats the problem with the world today and why terrorism exists. [/QB]

I really don't care if I am stereotyping or being politically incorrect. If the same countries over and over again have a number of international terrorist groups in them. Then they need help. Am I right?
Either they have trouble getting rid of them, or they have sympathies with their cause. Either way, we need to help them.

It's not like we have terrorism evenly distributed across the world. I mean almost all activity is based in the middle east and a bit in ireland. And it's the Irish who train the Muslim terrorists. What a coincidence.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:38 AM   #14
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
originally posted by Avatar

The fact is that you can't avoid fanatics who are well educated and have money. Good thing is they make up 1% of the terrorist population.
How do you know that ? Do you have actual facts about percentages ? If you're talking about the suicide bombers, i have to agree. Those guys are probably too stupid to have a mind of their own. But the others, the ones that tell people to go blow something (and themselves) up, are mostly highly educated people. And i'm sure you underestimate them if you think it's only 1% of the terrorist populace.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:44 AM   #15
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
quote:
originally posted by Avatar

How do you know that ? Do you have actual facts about percentages ? If you're talking about the suicide bombers, i have to agree. Those guys are probably too stupid to have a mind of their own. But the others, the ones that tell people to go blow something (and themselves) up, are mostly highly educated people. And i'm sure you underestimate them if you think it's only 1% of the terrorist populace. [/QUOTE]But these aren't the most devastating.

How happy would America and Israel be if they are to see a sharp reduction in suicide attacks?
Wouldn't it be better if PLO finds it hard to recruit militants/combatants/paramilitaries?
We can't avoid the masters behind all this, but it will make it darn hard for them to recruit people.

Right now it's too easy.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:53 AM   #16
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I don't think that providing them with jobs, would take away their hatred against Israel and the west. And knowing that most of the middle east governments give shelter to groups like Hezbollah and Al Qaeda, would be like rewarding them for that same thing if you're gonna give them money.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:56 PM   #17
Son of Osiris

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
Terrorist Fractions recruit individuals with no hope in life. Nothing to look forward or work for. The fractions give them a goal in life.

We have to try and create a partnership with these countries. To jump start projects to increase employment.

To say to these people:

Look, if you are willing to work, I will pay you. Then you can afford a car, a house and a family.

Or you can work your head off for some terrorists and end your life as you see fit.
[img]graemlins/agree.gif[/img] Talk about a shining light of brilliance. He does have a point. If only people like Avatar were running the United States... Hey! That's it! Avatar! Maybe you could run for president!

Old 09-23-2003, 06:38 PM   #18
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

How does giving money to Afghanistan stop a Gulf War veteran from putting 4000 lbs of fertilizer in a truck and blowing it up?