Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 04:55 PM   #1
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Almost there, in less than a month, the world's biggest sportingevent kicks off.

Full schedule

What are your expectations ? who do you think is going to come out on top ? Which player is going to dominate the tournament ?

Discuss...
Old 05-09-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Brazil will win, I think.

Although Rooney is a blow, we still have good players. I'm a bit...confused...about Sven's choices. Walcott, 17 year old, played three reserve games for Arsenal? I know he is supposed to be good, and very fast (100m in 10.7s?) but a bit inexperienced. What happened to Darren Bent, he was pretty poor in England v Uraguay(sp?) but his Premier League form has been spot on.

Also Stewie Downing, born and bred Smoggy, is in.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
We have a similar doubtful situation. The national topscorer, Huntelaar, might not even be selected for this edition. He's by far our most versatile striker, and can score from virtually any position on the pitch out of the most unexpected situations. But for some reason, the coach keeps hanging on to van Nistelrooy as the number 1 striker, even when he's not performing to his usual standards. He's not even a certain starter at ManU anymore, and what's more, i think his days at Old Trafford are numbered after another argument with that dickhead Ferguson, so his future is uncertain at this moment. As a backup for van Nistelrooy, we'll probably take PSV's Vennegoor along, only because he's strong and tall, but that's just about everything he is, it's no goalgetter like Huntelaar.

Sometimes football doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:42 PM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I just hope Rooney can make it in time. I have a serious doubt though if he could make it will he become just like Beckham during the 2002 WC ?

Walcott inclusion suprises me a lot. Sven is taking a big risk of brining someone who haven't had a premiership experience. But since Arsenal paid 12m/14m for him he must be something.

I hope that Ruud guy leave ManU. Time for the overrated Rossi to show what he is capable of.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:16 AM   #5
wellard
Dracolisk

I hope for the Dutchman Guus Hiddink will lift the trophy! but just giving a good showing will be probably all we can expect. Why is Guus Hiddink never in contention for the Dutch team johnny? politics?

Walcott selection for England is an insult to every other striker in England. Sven is aiming for the gunners job no doubt.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 05-10-2006, 12:20 AM   #6
wellard
Dracolisk

Socceroos

Goalkeepers: Mark Schwarzer (Middlesbrough), Zeljko Kalac (AC Milan), Ante Covic (Hammarby).

Defenders: Michael Beauchamp (Central Coast), Craig Moore (Newcastle United), Lucas Neill (Blackburn Rovers), Tony Popovic Crystal Palace), Mark Milligan (Sydney FC).

Midfielders: Marco Bresciano (Parma), Tim Cahill (Everton), Scott Chipperfield (Basel), Jason Culina (PSV Eindhoven), Brett Emerton (Blackburn Rovers), Vince Grella (Parma), Stan Lazaridis (Birmingham), Josip Skoko (Stoke City on loan from Wigan Athletic), Mile Sterjovski (Basel), Luke Wilkshire (Bristol City).

Strikers: John Aloisi (Alaves), Harry Kewell (Liverpool), Archie Thompson (PSV Eindhoven), Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough), Joshua Kennedy (Dynamo Dresden).

In truth we have had much better teams in the past years, teams that have beaten France, England and drawn with Brazil in recent years. But alas we have never qualified since 1974(?)

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 05-10-2006, 12:37 AM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Viduka is a bit of a loss. I feel for the poor bloke.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:34 AM   #8
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Viduka is one, if not the, best striker at the Boro so far. Some of the things he does is amazing, holding the ball up, somehow running through two defenders and still having the ball.

Ruud's days are gone, if you ask me. Once he found out he wasn't playing on Saturday he stormed out of Old Trafford.

One person who I think *should* have went was Kieron Richardson at Man Utd. On Match of the Day, in their match against Charlton, he looked extremely good. Fast, lively, and had a hell of a shot that rattled off the bar, before dropping to the line and bouncing out.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:39 AM   #9
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Go Germany!
*Knows nothing about socce-- ahem... football*
Old 05-10-2006, 04:26 AM   #10
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
I hope for the Dutchman Guus Hiddink will lift the trophy! but just giving a good showing will be probably all we can expect. Why is Guus Hiddink never in contention for the Dutch team johnny? politics?

Walcott selection for England is an insult to every other striker in England. Sven is aiming for the gunners job no doubt.
Well, no, he already did the job once, he lead us to Euro 1996 in England, which was not a very succesful campaign, but two years later in the worldcup in France he took us to the semifinals, in which we lost to Brazil after a penaltyshootout. It's quite possible he'll be managing Holland again someday, but for the next few years he'll be working for Abramovich and the Russian national team.