Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2001, 09:40 AM   #1
Graywolf
Welcomed New User

Help! I'm trying to beat Grominir and the two mages and all the fighter guys. I've tried everything and they just massacre me. Any tips or hints would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Graywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 11:34 AM   #2
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Welcome to Ironworks Graywolf.

Most standard practices for beefing up your party apply to this fight. This includes casting Haste, Chant, Defensive Harmony, True Sight etc. It helps if you have these spells stored in spell triggers so that they are cast instantly.

Distract Gromnir with a low AC high HP character and have your other combat characters engage the mages as soon as you can. You may be able to kill them before they get their various magical protections up. If not, be sure to have some spells like breach and ruby ray of reversal handy.

The other NPC's that attack will most likely target your mages, so make sure they are protected with fireshields and stoneskins. Again, spell triggers help. A reasonably competent combat character or a good missile weapon should keep these NPC's busy until you can bring your full force to bear on them.

Once the mages are dealt with, hit Gromnir with everything you've got. He should go down pretty quickly. Once he's gone, mop up the rest of the NPC's.

Keep your belts well stocked with potions, and don't forget to use your new high-level abilities like whirlwind attack.

I haven't done this fight in a while so I've probably missed some crucial detail...

NB: If you give more specific details on your party composition then we can probably come up with some more directly helpful tactics.
Old 11-24-2001, 11:57 AM   #3
Tiamat
Banned User

I think take out the mages that cast timestop as their first attack. Spell Immunity: Invocation or Necromancy can protect you from any cloudkill, or AbiDalzim's Horrid Wilting that they might throw at you. The mages, like Sharpedge said, should have fireshields and stoneskins. I think you should also summon monsters (monster summoning 2 always was my favorite) Gromnir should be not a problem, if you have 2 fighters (like Sarevok and Minsc) hittin' him hard all the time. Your druid (my emphasis on a druid) should summon a fire or Earth Elemental to help bash the little theives and warriors.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 02:29 PM   #4
Tom
Elminster

This may seem kinda cheesy, but this is what I do. I go up, kill one guy, go downstairs, heal, repeat. If someone dies, I just reload.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 03:33 PM   #5
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

That is an eeency bit cheesy really, but heh... who's checking!

The fight gets a lot easier if you cast haste first as I recall. Also move a powerful fighter or something similar to the stairs where the group with missile weapons appears. That should stop them disrupting your spell casters.

Gromnir is not the real problem, so just distract him for a while. The mage on the right is a real pain iirc. Send in a couple of tough guys to beat him over the head until he gives up the ghost. So mages with Breach etc are very, very, important in this fight.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 07:20 PM   #6
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

if you're having problems with the two Gromnir's pet mages, just hurl an Abi Dalzim's right in between them. with a little luck it will take both of them out right away, if not just cast another one, or maybe follow with a Fireball.
you might also consider using a mage with Protection From Magical Weapons as a distraction to draw enemy fire. it's fun watching Gromnir waste his Greater Whrilwinds on a protected mage [img]smile.gif[/img] .
also, a Planetar and/or an Elemental Prince do a real nice job at distracting the rest of Gromnir's thugs.
frudi_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 07:22 PM   #7
cloud88
Manshoon

hahaha i used the same method tom
and i think its not cheese the thing is to kill those
guys not how you do it right
i say:just as long you get it done it dosent matter how
Some little angel tries to tell me that it\'s over,<br />It\'s just a bad reflection from above.<br />The load upon my shoulder makes me stronger, even bolder,<br />Oh no no, I haven\'t had enough.<br />-Heaven can wait, another fine reason to live.
cloud88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 02:02 AM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Behold! The power of cheese.

Project Image + Robe of Vecna + Amulet of Power + Time Stop + Improved Alacrity

I think I will call this the PRATI tactic. I managed to shoot out 6 Magic Missiles, 8 Melf's Acid Arrows, 7 Lightning Bolts, 3 Lower Resistances, 4 Animate Deads, 3 Greater Malisons, 4 Spider Spawns, 1 True Sight, 8 Finger of Deaths, 1 Chain Contingency filled with 3 Adi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, 4 Planetars and 4 Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wiltings. All within the frame of the Time Stop. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Project Image ignores the summon limit in case you are wondering. This was a battle against Improved Gromnir with my solo Sorcerer on Insane Difficulty.

Previous case of a RATI( no Project Image).
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 02:19 AM   #9
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

MINOR SPOILER
/
-
+
/
-
+
/
-
+
/
-
+
Dundee, while looking at your screenshots, I can't help noticing that you carry the upgraded Horn of Valhalla...
Do you really think it's worth it??
I mean, it only summons a level nine berserker..
or am I wrong?
Sir ReGiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 08:30 AM   #10
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
I managed to shoot out 6 Magic Missiles, 8 Melf's Acid Arrows, 7 Lightning Bolts, 3 Lower Resistances, 4 Animate Deads, 3 Greater Malisons, 4 Spider Spawns, 1 True Sight, 8 Finger of Deaths, 1 Chain Contingency filled with 3 Adi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, 4 Planetars and 4 Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wiltings. All within the frame of the Time Stop.

[img]graemlins/jawdrop.gif[/img]

Dundee, you never cease to amaze me. That's quite the biggest magical nuke I've ever seen.

I don't know whether to congratulate you or be afraid...