Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2003, 05:29 PM   #1
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Up to 1,500 Palestinians have been left homeless by the Israeli army's two-day raid into the Rafah refugee camp, the United Nations estimates.
A senior UN official who went to assess damage said it looked like there had been a severe earthquake at the densely-populated camp in the south of the Gaza Strip, with up to 120 homes demolished.

But an Israeli army spokesman put the damage at "several" buildings destroyed, with the military targeting only structures used by militants.

Hospital officials said eight Palestinians - including two boys aged eight and 15 - were killed in the operation, which the Israeli army launched to destroy tunnels used to smuggle weapons across the Egyptian border.

More than 50 were injured in the raid, codenamed Operation Root Canal, which was launched overnight on Thursday by dozens of Israeli troops backed by tanks and helicopter gunships.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3185704.stm
------------------------------------------------------------------------

120 homes destroyed, 3 tunnels found, no weapons found. Talk about laying a beatdown on the innocent to nab 3 homes. I would hope my country removes it ambassador, and applies sanctions until Israel rebuilds the home of every homeless family they caused. There is absolutely no need for tactics like this. In a few weeks I predict we will see a few more terrorist acts of people blowing themselves up.

[ 10-14-2003, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 05:35 PM   #2
Skunk
Banned User

You don't need to bulldoze the homes of 1500 people to find tunnels. For the last 20 years archeologists and the police have been using simple sonar based technology to locate soil disturbance in the hunt for buried structures, bodies etc. etc. The technology is cheap, freely available and quick to set up.

The real purpose of this activity was to create a buffer zone - and the IDF should simply have been honest about this. The truth would have caused much less fuss...
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 05:46 PM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I don't see how creating a buffer zone makes the action anymore justified to world eyes.

[ 10-14-2003, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 10:33 PM   #4
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
I don't see how creating a buffer zone makes the action anymore justified to world eyes.
I don't think that satisfying World opinion is particularly high on the Israeli Military's priority list at this time...
Old 10-15-2003, 04:29 AM   #5
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

For the first time in my life i agree (!) with skunk.

Do not smuggle weapons, you shall have no problems. Let your neighboor smugle them, you also pay. it is quite simple, even if brutal.

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Black Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 07:57 AM   #6
Skunk
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Baron:

Do not smuggle weapons, you shall have no problems. Let your neighboor smugle them, you also pay. it is quite simple, even if brutal.
We're not in total agreement I'm afraid.

I can understand the need for a buffer zone - but such actions require a damage limitation exercise too - even if only in the limited form of providing temporary sheltered accommodation for the populace.

Anything less will drive the newly homeless and disaffected straight into the arms of their local Hamas Quartermaster.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 11:39 AM   #7
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:

Sure but what rights have your country to invade a neighboring sovereign state to look for tunnels? The problem with this latest action is that it is NOT those who smuggle that gets deep problems rather it is all the Palestinian people! Or perhaps they're all smugglers? I bet the Israeli government would like to believe that.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:11 PM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
I hate to point this out, but your sentences contradict each other. One of the first two sentences must be untrue.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:10 PM   #9
Erezike
Welcomed New User

Letter

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
quote:

Sure but what rights have your country to invade a neighboring sovereign state to look for tunnels?[/QUOTE]The problem is that the Palestinian Authority prefers terrorists over civilians and lets them control the life of the Palestinians.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:55 PM   #10
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

Willow, the Israelis have every right to enter Gaza and destroy these tunnels because the weapons smuggled through them are being used to kill Israelis and terrorise the Palestinians. Though I imagine that the palestinians problems don't count for much in the decision.
khazadman is offline   Reply With Quote