Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2003, 12:03 AM   #1
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

I sure hope Ziroc has plans to start a Forum for The Temple of Elemental Evil. It is suspose to be out before July first this year and I'd rather have a forum for it here then any where else after all the Temple of Elemental Evil was the first real D&D pen and paper RPG ever designed so where better to have a forum for it.
I realize it's to soon to start one yet but from the 20 plus pages of interviews that I have read this game may be the one to unseat Baldurs Gate as the best RPG ever, and that would really be some game if it can do that.
Anybody else waiting for it to be released?
Old 05-01-2003, 12:19 AM   #2
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Yeah, CB, I am one of those really excited about its potential. I played T-1 "The Village of Hommlett" years ago, but unfortuantly my life had some major changes and I never got to play ToEE, which was a long awaited but never seemed to arrive continuation of T-1. There are many of us old time Paper & Pencil players who have been longing for an RPG set in Greyhawk. There were some tremendous modules printed for the Greyhawk campaign setting. I thought one of the best ever was The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun. Tim Caine is a big fan of Greyhawk and if this goes well he may very well do another game based in Greyhawk via a module entitled Against the Giants. Here is hoping, with fingers crossed, that Troika delivers the goods BIG TIME.

[ 05-01-2003, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Albromor ]
Old 05-01-2003, 12:36 AM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I'm still waiting for any western rpg to be out this year. I'm really bored to dead playing with local rpg.

I do hope that this game do come out as good as they advertise. unlike the other one where they say it will end all rpgs.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:51 AM   #4
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
I'm still waiting for any western rpg to be out this year. I'm really bored to dead playing with local rpg.

I do hope that this game do come out as good as they advertise. unlike the other one where they say it will end all rpgs.
Yeah, neverwinter nights was a huge disappointment.

Morrowind was astounding though.

What are your "local" rpgs?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 05-01-2003, 04:02 AM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Ah... call me a fuddy duddy but I still prefer 1st and second edition rules.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 05-01-2003, 04:48 AM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

temple of elemental evil?? can someone clear me on this.. is this a game??.. i just bought a book about the "temple of elemental evil" yesterday. i finished it today. i hope i just didnt read the game play.

Catch me if you can..
Old 05-01-2003, 04:55 AM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
What are your "local" rpgs?
致命武力, 風雲2之七武器 , 笑 傲 江 湖 2 外 傳 : 東 方 再 起 etc etc. never heard any of them? I don't blame you. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2003, 01:38 PM   #8
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Harkoliar, The Temple of Elemental Evil was a pencil&paper module from the mid-80's that was a continuation of the early 80's module T-1 "Village of Hommlet." It was placed in the World of Greyhawk (WoG) setting that was based on the old 1E rules. It is considered a classic and the people that played/DM'd it say it was excellent. The WoG had vast potential for campaigns and hopefully those who have been raised on Forgotten Realms will be able to get an appreciation for the WoG. As for the book you read I haven't the slightest idea if you ruined the plot for yourself. One thing I do know is that Tim Caine of Troika, who is overseeing the development of the game, has said numerous times that TToEE is following the original module as close as possible. In fact, they scoured the internet for the original module to make sure everyone involved in the development of the game would - literally- all be on the same page. So if the book is anything close to the module I would say you have at least a notion what is going on. However, good modules are not inflexible. They are never played exactly the same way so there is no way that book you read could ever hope to capture the richness of the original module. Besides, Caine himself said that the game allows a greater freedom than any previous CRPGs, i.e., he claims it is actually possible to play an evil aligned party and finish the game triumphantly.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:49 PM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

My recently-dispersed gaming group was running through the ToEE module - 3Ed. D&D. Sorry, but we had just barely gotten past the Moathouse and to the first Temple, and too many had died for my tastes. I mean, the reality that adventurers would die is fine, but I consider it a poor DM and/or module when 10% of your way through the thing, you've lost so many characters the "group" is no longer the same "group" at all. Of course, this also lets the "get this character killed 'cause I'm bored, didn't think it through well (again) when making it, and want to make another" gamers abuse the situation as well.

ToEE is a character killer. If it is played AT ALL intelligently, the entire party can get killed early and often. For instance there is this one part where you're 3rd level or so characters on a winched platform going down into a tall, large, dark cavern, and you are attacked by a Krell. Well, the Krell like fresh meat, but dead is fresh, and with 10 attacks per round it takes little time for it to pick up characters and simply drop them 100 ft.

Oh, and don't get me started on collasping ceilings and pit traps.

And, Yorick, I'm with you: I prefer a 2E game, and have modified mine to where it works like a well-oiled machine. Now, if someone would just come up with a workable fix to the forever-horrible magic system.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:59 PM   #10
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Sounds fun, guys. Timber, sounds like you needed my Pally there. I'll definitely give it a look-see, though if it is like Morrowind, I'm outta there.