Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2001, 05:39 PM   #21
Gauleiter

I try to play by a simple code, rather similar to one I use in real life: Be nice, but anything that attacks you is fair game.

Fact is, when you keep your parties down to one or two, experience (and cash) is never a real problem; you level up faster than you can keep track of anyway, so why run about killing innocent creatures?
Old 03-08-2001, 08:07 AM   #22
Dr.Orangutan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

someone mentioned to kill the scabban monstrosity? oh great another romp in the damn crypt ill have to find the post fist i dont want it to be a +1 ring of ac only heheh
Dr.Orangutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 10:18 AM   #23
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Such insight to the personalities of this forum on this thread is priceless! It is funny to me that someone would choose a name like Grim Reeper and turn out to be such a "good guy". Elara, as usual, has a way with words --especially about not "doing chores", but playing the game. Lily the Ranger, as always, makes me smile. And Balgin, yes I did read your thread too, enjoyable as usual. And the rest of you, something special about each one. I love this thread! As for me, I feel guilty and hate killing those little Nymphs with their cute little naked bodies and no way to hurt you -- all they do is put you to sleep and steal from you -- I say let them have what they want and leave them alone! LOL Seriously, I killed Scabban, but would never hurt the keeper of the Mavin (especially after meeting Wyvern)!
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 03:54 PM   #24
kaythen
Dungeon Master

Interesting point. I think that all games should be played with honor the first time around. I will play W&W again as a villian. There is a little evil side to us all, just like the "Force". Dark and Light, but as long as you let the subtle choice of which way to choose first be the honorable one, I think it is o.k. to fall into the dark role every so often.
kaythen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 06:32 PM   #25
FanPyre
Dungeon Master

The closest interpretation of true RPG in computer games i have ever seen was in the game TORMENT, it is also the best CRPG i have ever played. there were countless choices to turn good or evil and it had a great influence on the game (affected what weapons u could use etc) but most of all this game boasted the richest and greatest storyline and music i have ever seen in a CRPG. it was its brilliant storyline that drove this game head and shoulders above all other Computer role playing games i have ever played, at the end of the game i really cared about the characters and when some of the characters died near the end in the plane of Negative Material (unavoidable built in part of the game)i almost shed a tear (sob!). The characters were more than just 2d stereotypes i had completely created. However This is no negative reflection on W&W which sofar has been a blast.
FanPyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 06:34 PM   #26
skywalker
Banned User

kaythen,
I tried to do just that the second time around, but for some reason I just can't kill the good NPCs. I decided to play just one character- a wizard and follow the oath again.
I did get 5 of my 6 super characters to help kill the assassin at the start of the game, though. It felt good to stop him before he could get to town. I wonder if Gareth still gets killed anyway?

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 08:16 PM   #27
Dying Sun
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Fire Lake....

I think that this post, in many ways, exonerates the Fallout Series by Interplay. You can be bad, you can be good; your actions have repurcussions on the people you interact with. You can be a slaver, you can be a hero, you can be a misguided soul wandering the shadowy path betwixt light and dark, as recognized by our urban mythology... You can be a character out of James Joyce's Ulysses or an evil Uncle from a Shakespearian play

It all comes down to, I think, give us the choice, and make that choice meaningful. There should be a dividing line, a moment of decision, a river of no return. (AKA Atari 2600 River Raid....)

Let us taste this moment, before deciding on our bent. Let it be subtle. Let it not be "Do you kill the priest? (Y/M)" , but buried layers deep, where each act has rippling, parastolic repurcussions based on our previous actions.. come on, that's what the dialogue builders get paid for!!

I'm trying a minimalistic version of the aforementioned with my upcoming RPG, Dying Sun.. do you recover the primo stash of Acapulco Gold for the aging hippie, affording him a but of enjoyment in the chaos of his dusty, grief -soaked day, or do you turn him in to the law for the reward? Wheels within wheels.....

Dying Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 08:57 PM   #28
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Please oh please let the hippie go if you can,

that hippie's my husband, the original Jessman.

He is not really a bad bad guy,

He just really likes to get high.

LOL (Its a joke, kiddies)

[This message has been edited by mammawlin (edited 03-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by mammawlin (edited 03-10-2001).]
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 10:59 PM   #29
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Slip, if you're incorporating that into your game, I can already tell you...

I'd side with the hippy.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 04:01 PM   #30
skywalker
Banned User

Pushing this up for anyone interested in the ethics of Computer Role Playing. (There's a lot of good views in this thread, not just mine.)

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote